Rearview Camera Problems | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks Peter. I have located all the fasteners that were referenced...looks like an easy fix. Since I'll need to take it to the dealer for reprogramming anyway, I'll also run it past them to see if I can get a reasonable quote.

Crystal, If you are monitoring, please look at all the issues I have faced with this car and see if you can pull some strings to help defray this expense. In light of all the camera issues I see on this board my request seems legitimate. This is, by the way, my third explorer. Thanks.

I would recommend replacing it yourself. It's an easy fix that takes about 15 minutes. You can expect to pay around $100 for the camera. You can find it through various dealerships online. The dealer quoted me $70 to have the module reprogrammed for the camera to show the static backup lines again, though I haven't done it yet. I have seen many posts on this thread where people have been quoted or charged hundreds of dollars ($500+) by the dealership to have all of this done.

See posts #9, 10 and 11 in this thread:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384552

This person has a good explanation and pictures of removing the rear trim piece and accessing the camera.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter. I have located all the fasteners that were referenced...looks like an easy fix. Since I'll need to take it to the dealer for reprogramming anyway, I'll also run it past them to see if I can get a reasonable quote.

Crystal, If you are monitoring, please look at all the issues I have faced with this car and see if you can pull some strings to help defray this expense. In light of all the camera issues I see on this board my request seems legitimate. This is, by the way, my third explorer. Thanks.
As per the "Out of Office" thread, FordService is not currently monitoring the Forum.

Hey Ford Fam,

We will be away from the forum temporarily. If you guys need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via Twitter or Facebook. If you need immediate assistance, please contact your dealer or the Customer Relationship Center. For the CRC, dial 1-800-392-3673 OR 1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired).

Thanks for your patience!

Tricia

Peter

I would recommend replacing it yourself. It's an easy fix that takes about 15 minutes. You can expect to pay around $100 for the camera. You can find it through various dealerships online. The dealer quoted me $70 to have the module reprogrammed for the camera to show the static backup lines again, though I haven't done it yet. I have seen many posts on this thread where people have been quoted or charged hundreds of dollars ($500+) by the dealership to have all of this done.

This person has a good explanation and pictures of removing the rear trim piece and accessing the camera.

Thanks doctor pullit. Your $500 estimate was accurate based on a quote I was given today. Amazingly, part of the quote involves a new FORD nameplate they claim has to be removed by a heat gun in the service process!

Thanks doctor pullit. Your $500 estimate was accurate based on a quote I was given today. Amazingly, part of the quote involves a new FORD nameplate they claim has to be removed by a heat gun in the service process!

Wow. That dealership is nuts. The Ford badge doesn't even come close to being touched. If you ever need service, I think I would suggest a different dealership because they are either inept or trying to take in some extra cash.

Wow. That dealership is nuts. The Ford badge doesn't even come close to being touched. If you ever need service, I think I would suggest a different dealership because they are either inept or trying to take in some extra cash.

I just ordered the part for $140. We'll see how things go. I had the benefit of seeing the service process posts you referred me to before visiting the dealer. I was also suspicious of the nameplate replacement.

doctorpullit...that job was a piece of cake so I thank you for your advice! Spent more time walking back and forth to my toolbox than actually doing the repair. 10-15 minutes max. I have always liked the benefit of the backup grid and guides so I'll probably fork out the $70 and have the dealer do the work.

Thanks again.

doctorpullit...that job was a piece of cake so I thank you for your advice! Spent more time walking back and forth to my toolbox than actually doing the repair. 10-15 minutes max. I have always liked the benefit of the backup grid and guides so I'll probably fork out the $70 and have the dealer do the work.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome! I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Rear View Camera Image

Greetings,

Anyone ever see a Rear View Camera display that has multicolored rows across it, but no image from the reverse camera? I can slightly see the Ford symbol in the lower portion of the screen. ? It happened suddenly. Blinks intermittently between this and blank.

(Not sure if this is going to work, but I'm going to try and post a link so you can see image.)

Thanks!

Jason

Greetings,

Anyone ever see a Rear View Camera display that has multicolored rows across it, but no image from the reverse camera? I can slightly see the Ford symbol in the lower portion of the screen. ? It happened suddenly. Blinks intermittently between this and blank.

(Not sure if this is going to work, but I'm going to try and post a link so you can see image.)

Thanks!

Jason
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I think it is time for a dealer visit Jason. Looks like the camera may need to be replaced. Have not seen anything like that before. When you are not on the camera, is the MFT screen itself okay?
It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level to your profile as well so it always shows in the margin. Good luck.

Peter

Greetings,

Thanks!

Jason

Wow, if someone happened to be on some illicit pharmaceutical at the time, and that suddenly popped up on the screen, I shudder to think what might happen!

Greetings,

Thanks!

Jason

2015? Take it in if under warranty. If you want to try it yourself then you need to access the rear of the camera and unplug it and plug it back in.

Otherwise disconnect the battery for about 15 mins.

Warranty

Yeah, it is under warranty. Prob is, I am TDY and it is not going to be easy to get it into the shop if need be. I was hoping someone on here had seen this before and knew a fix like some Fuse or something. I have not disconnected batt yet. Will prob try that this weekend.

Didn't realize how much I have grown to like that camera!

Well, I read just about every post on here re: the backup camera. My wife's 2013 Ford Explorer's backup camera just gave up the ghost yesterday. It was working in the morning when she left the house and it quit sometime before she got back home. I looked to make sure it was still physically attached to the liftgate. It was. I pulled fuse 29, three times while trouble shooting... I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, then 20 minutes... nothing. Just the "camera unavailable. contact dealership" message on the screen. The vehicle has just over 60000 miles on it now so she's going to take it somewhere and get something else. We've been Ford fans forever and a day but the last couple of Fords have been challenging, at best. I traded my 2009 Ford Ranger (extended cab, 4x4) for my current F150 XTR a year ago because the Ranger was getting issues that were not only annoying but spendy. It had just over 65,000 miles on it when I traded it off. The F150's doing fine so far but I have to say I'd never see the day when our Fords would be "trade offs" at 50-60k miles. It used to be that's about the mileage I'd feel comfortable using them for what they were intended to be used for. I don't stump jump but I do enjoy driving the woods looking for gold panning sites, camping, etc. I guess it's just getting to be a different world. I think I'll go back to riding horses.

mine has been doing this laughin pysico screen on and off for a month. It will vary between the multi-color pixelated screen and the black see your dealer screen. Each time I set the parking brake, put in reverse and open and shut the tail gate with a little extra force and it always comes back on.
I have taken off the panel, cleaned the connection, banged on the camera, squeezed the rubber umbilical but can not make it go out to find the bad connection. Yet go over rough train tracks and it goes out the next time I backup.

mine has been doing this laughin pysico screen on and off for a month. It will vary between the multi-color pixelated screen and the black see your dealer screen. Each time I set the parking brake, put in reverse and open and shut the tail gate with a little extra force and it always comes back on.
I have taken off the panel, cleaned the connection, banged on the camera, squeezed the rubber umbilical but can not make it go out to find the bad connection. Yet go over rough train tracks and it goes out the next time I backup.

Time to replace the camera.

Just bought a 2013 Explorer with an expired basic warranty. Love the vehicle (much better than my old '96) but recently the backup camera started dying occasionally, often with the "see your dealer" message people mention on the forum. Now the camera probably works about once in every three backups.

Is this something that I can DIY, or does it need to go to the dealer? I imagine it will cost a fortune at the dealer...Thanks for any advice.

Just bought a 2013 Explorer with an expired basic warranty. Love the vehicle (much better than my old '96) but recently the backup camera started dying occasionally, often with the "see your dealer" message people mention on the forum. Now the camera probably works about once in every three backups.

Is this something that I can DIY, or does it need to go to the dealer? I imagine it will cost a fortune at the dealer...Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As far as replacing the rearview camera, see this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/back-up-camara-replaced.410804/

As advised, your thread has been merged with this one on rearview camera issues I found using the Forum's 'Search' function. I would bet that the camera needs to be replaced. Some members have replaced it themselves but in the end you will still require the dealer to program the new camera to your particular Explorer.
It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As far as replacing the rearview camera, see this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/back-up-camara-replaced.410804/

As advised, your thread has been merged with this one on rearview camera issues I found using the Forum's 'Search' function. I would bet that the camera needs to be replaced. Some members have replaced it themselves but in the end you will still require the dealer to program the new camera to your particular Explorer.
It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks so much Peter! $300 isn't bad for the camera if I need to replace it, assuming those rates still hold. And I'll figure out what model I bought. It didn't say anything on the bill of sale and there are no badges on the back of the vehicle, but it has leather and special stereo and double moon roof and towing package and so on, so I assume it's not the "base."

Thanks again!
Ole

Thanks so much Peter! $300 isn't bad for the camera if I need to replace it, assuming those rates still hold. And I'll figure out what model I bought. It didn't say anything on the bill of sale and there are no badges on the back of the vehicle, but it has leather and special stereo and double moon roof and towing package and so on, so I assume it's not the "base."

Thanks again!
Ole
Go to this site and enter your VIN. It should tell you. https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=B55B7FFCAB637532775E1D3D4A274002.fcvas509

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back