• Register Today It's free!

Navigation doesn't work - HELP!!!

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
I've got one of those videos too! I assure you am not careening thru neighborhoods as depicted on the nav screen but instead travelling along that major road at the far right of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPQMZlFunA

(p.s. sorry about the background music :rolleyes: )

That video was shot while we were on v2.8. We upgraded to v2.11 first week in Sept. It's peppier, but still buggy.

Class action lawsuit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nav system fixed?

Picked up explorer on friday. they said they reprogramed it. blew out all phone info etc which i now will have to figure out how to redo since saleman put it in when we bought explorer in May. hard since husband is sick. car was supposed to bring him joy not additional trouble. next time may change to gm product after buying fords since 1971.

this is 2nd time it has been to dealer. 1st time said that ford thought it was the antennae so that was replaced. if it goes out again ford will be getting a lemon law letter and we will want ford to take back the car.

if class action count us in. ford should have never released new explorer when they knew it had these problems.:(

question... will it EVER be possible that we will be able to do an update (say from 2.8 to 2.11) on our own without bringing it in???

that will be one of the best updates if possible. i mean... who wants to deal with bringing it in to the dealer just for an update?!

You can do it now :)

The 2.11 update is now available on SYNCMyRide.com!

Rebecca

Harlenm, when you have this issue, do you start your vehicle in a garage or parking structure? I have noticed that when I play with my explorer in the garage for an extended period of time, it seems to lose the ability to get a GPS signal once I leave the garage. Seems to clear itself up on next restart. MFT clearly has some bugs to work out. I think its ability to acquire a GPS signal has a software flaw.

When I first got my vehicle, it couldn't understand that I was no longer in Chicago, no longer how long I left it running outside. A battery pull, and the GPS works fine. Today, I was fiddling with it in the garage for 20 minutes. When I left, it had no GPS signal for the entire 15 minute drive. Ran into the store, and when I restarted, GPS knew exactly where I was.

This is clearly a software problem, as the hardware to acquire the signal is functioning fine. It looks to me like your vehicle is doing something similar, operating without a GPS signal, it tries to guesstimate based on where it thinks you are driving. Needless to say, it is a poor substitute for an actual GPS fix.

Funny,
Some dude (i was not going to use dude) comes on here by the name of RX7. Isn't that a Mazda or something. Complains about something and then he's never heard of again. Sounds like BS to me. I hate it when someone starts a thread and then disappears. Probably and unemployed Mazda salesman.

Harlenm, when you have this issue, do you start your vehicle in a garage or parking structure? I have noticed that when I play with my explorer in the garage for an extended period of time, it seems to lose the ability to get a GPS signal once I leave the garage. Seems to clear itself up on next restart. MFT clearly has some bugs to work out. I think its ability to acquire a GPS signal has a software flaw.

When I first got my vehicle, it couldn't understand that I was no longer in Chicago, no longer how long I left it running outside. A battery pull, and the GPS works fine. Today, I was fiddling with it in the garage for 20 minutes. When I left, it had no GPS signal for the entire 15 minute drive. Ran into the store, and when I restarted, GPS knew exactly where I was.

This is clearly a software problem, as the hardware to acquire the signal is functioning fine. It looks to me like your vehicle is doing something similar, operating without a GPS signal, it tries to guesstimate based on where it thinks you are driving. Needless to say, it is a poor substitute for an actual GPS fix.

No, its random. In fact, that video was recorded after the GPS was working fine for 15 miles. I made a right turn, and it lost me, then thought I was 7 miles away from my actual location, then sort of found me, then I recorded.

Today was not a good day with nav under v2.11. On 3 of the 4 trips we took it had malfunctions.

First trip of the day, we arrived at our destination, turned the car off and went in. When I came back out to the car 10 minutes later, even tho the car was off... the MFT screen was still on and stuck on one of the navigation screens. It would not respond to any touch commands, not display the backup camera, and eventually black screened and rebooted.

Second trip was the same problem we always had with 2.8. The system went into this loop of losing and gaining contact with the GPS signal. It continued to track my route, but with a 1-2 minute delay in refreshing the guidance. It completely stopped giving voice guidance and would not respond to pressing the voice command key. (It also stopped displaying the driver and passenger climate temperature in the lower right "blue area") But new to 2.11 was this screen freakout below that gave me this hybrid between the medium detail home screen menu and the active nav map.

img0617yk.jpg

I guess while we were at our destination the system rebooted again while the car was off because when we came out the system was responding "normally" again.

Third trip of the day the MFT/nav performed fine. Woohoo.

Fourth trip of the day started off with the nav system trying to put us on the interstate even tho it was closed (clearly an issue with the traffic data, but is the data provider deficient or is the MFT not pulling down the latest traffic data?).

We get downtown to an unfamiliar area and 1 mile before we are supposed to turn on some street... the MFT black screens and reboots. A lucky guess and a long red light allowed enough time for the MTF to recycle and start providing guidance again.

The MFT "successfully" navigated us to our destination. But instead of a restaurant, we found ourselves under an overpass. Turns out the restaurant was a quarter of a mile in the opposite direction... on a one-way street of course. :rolleyes:

While this is an old thread, I continue to experience problems with the GPS. While it works >95% of the time, when it fails it is extremely frustrating. Failed for the last several hours of a long road trip yesterday and unlike previous failures, it never came back around. When I arrived at the destination and shut off the vehicle, the MFT rebooted on its own. This morning after waiting about five minutes it finally found the satellites and corrected. Checking the diagnostics at first showed no satellites. Just wondering if anyone else continues to have problems and have figured out a forced reset.

My search turned up an older post that could be merged with the larger Nav issues thread. While I recently had new tires put on, I had a prior trip on the new tires with minimal (but existing) issues. I suspect he system is easily confused if and when it loses a GPS signal, and needs an easier method of reset.

My search turned up an older post that could be merged with the larger Nav issues thread. While I recently had new tires put on, I had a prior trip on the new tires with minimal (but existing) issues. I suspect he system is easily confused if and when it loses a GPS signal, and needs an easier method of reset.

I had a TSB performed a few days ago for the navigation indicator. Not sure what the number is - maybe someone can chime in. Seems to work fine now.

Latest Nav. Firmware version?

My nav. system is giving me the faulty sd card screen. Some nights it never shows me in the correct place on the map. After the last trip to the dealer, on 11/23/15, for a master reset the gps X was on for about two minutes then it cleared up and the nav. showed me in the correct location BUT as soon as this happened the clock changed by three hours. I went to the "set clock to gps" and reset the clock. Later that night the system was lost for the whole twenty minute drive AFTER the reset. I was wondering what the latest nav. software version is. Mine says 2.15.27. The dealer said if this happens again they will replace the nav. computer. I have a nice collection of car tags they hang on the rear view mirror when the dealer works on your car. I have seven tags and matching key tags and thats just the ones I've kept ( saving them like battle scars ). All in the first year of owning this car. Not to mention a life time supply of plastic car seat covers and paper floor mats. Most expensive $48,000 seat covers and floor mats I've ever bought. At least these paper floor mats won't get stuck under my gas pedal(I know thats not really funny). I wish I did more research before I bought this car. I'm the only one that I know that owns one. No one at church, no one at work, none of my family, none of my family's friends, no one in my neighborhood, no one. Is there somthing they all know that I was to stupid to know? I tell myself this was an expensive car and alot of people can't spend what I did. But now after my first year I don't think the price is what keeps people from buying this car. I wonder how many people keep this car after their lease is up. The only person I know who drove one told me the seat was to small for how big the car felt inside. They did not like the feeling of the inside. Things were to far away from their reach.

If your NAV software says it is ver 2.15.27 that is way out of date.

You should be running SYNC version 3.8 which shows up as V3.08.XXXXXX

Associated with that should be NAV version 4.65.5 (think that was it, def 4.xx.x)

Get your SYNC version updated...

So I bought a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Updated software last month and reset the sync, because GPS works about 25% of the time. It still does not work properly, has me in the ocean or water way with the x over GPS. Is there a fix for this yet, seems ridiculous that this issue has not been resolved on such an expensive vehicle.

So I bought a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Updated software last month and reset the sync, because GPS works about 25% of the time. It still does not work properly, has me in the ocean or water way with the x over GPS. Is there a fix for this yet, seems ridiculous that this issue has not been resolved on such an expensive vehicle.
Get the GPSM software updated and if that doesn't solve it the GPSM needs replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As jmr061 mentioned, get the dealer to update the software and then go from there. The GPS antenna is located under the dash so make sure you haven't placed something there that might interfere with the signal.

Peter

Back