Brake Controller Plug and Wiring | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

2014 Brake Controller

Hi Guys,

First off I want to say hello to everyone and very glad to be a member here, Forgive me if this is not be the correct place for the post as I am a newbie. I recently bought a 2014 Explorer sport with the Tow package and am looking to have a brake controller installed for a trailer I pick up next week. The trailer place offered to do it put I am a bit skeptical and don't want to mess up the factory warranty.
Let me know if anyone has had one installed recently and any recommendations. I would like to have a ford factory controller if it is available to work with this model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:wavey:Welcome to the Forum SALTPOD.
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one. Hopefully you can find the info you are looking for here.

Peter

Update for anyone else looking for info on this, I got the brake controller installed yesterday, after talking with the Ford dealer who didn't have a clue, I researched it deeper myself and Ford does not make a specific brake controller for the explorer you have to go after market. My 2014 Explorer sport has a 4pin and a 7pin plug on the back and the tow package factory installed with this option there is a pigtail under the driver side dash which makes it easy to install the controller. To install the brake controller all was needed is the brake controller, I chose a prodigy II, and a pigtail wiring harness to fit the explorer's plug. The trailer dealer had it installed in less than 10 minutes. Thanks guys and good luck.

Wire coupling for electric brake controller.

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with tow package. I believe it has been wired for brake controller but not sure what the connector looks like. Can anyone post a pic or give any info before I start a blind search under the dash?

TLA, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps you'll find your answer here. Good luck.

Peter

Trailer electric brakes controler necessary?

Good morning,

I own a 2015 Explorer Sport. Very happy so far with the vehicle with about 100 miles on it so far only. :)

I have noticed in the user manual that there is a dedicated wire for electric brakes going to the plug for trailers.

My question is, do I need to install a brake controller unit? Or is the "factory" set-up will activate the trailer brakes automatically?

If I need to install one, is this "plug & play"?

Thanks for your help,

Max

You need to install a brake controller. I have not looked at the Ex as I tow with my F350 but my past Fords, you had to buy the brake controller and the brake controllers plug/harness for the controller. You'd plug one end into the controller and plug the other end in a port under the dash.

Then when you hook up your trailer, you are good to go as it is prewired from under the dash to the 7 pin at the rear of the vehicle.

Highly recommend the Prodigy brake controller.. one of the best on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...1&sr=8-1&keywords=prodigy+brake+controller+p3

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9088...TF8&qid=1430146355&sr=1-1&keywords=prodigy+p2

And then based on the manufacturer's website, the harness:

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3035...im_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D10C5VG434Z9ZBYA3YZ

If you choose this, please verify as I don't want to be responsible for the harness being wrong but based on the vehicle.. this is what you should need.

Welcome to the Forum MaxExpSport.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps you will find some useful info here.

Peter

If you're talking about electric brakes, then yes. If you're talking about surge brakes, then no.

Towing question / brake controller?

Good morning,

I am going to be buying a 20' Pontoon, decided after some research to go ahead and get a tandem trailer with a brake.

I've got a 2011 Explorer limited with the towing package. Anyway, I've been doing some reading and wondering, do I need to install a 3rd party brake controller? I've seen a few posts on here, and maybe I'm just a little dumb, but here's my question:

Am I getting any sort of benefit with having a brake on the tandem trailer if I don't have the brake controller? I noticed how to install the 3rd party controller, but do I need it???

I have a 13 Explorer with the tow package. I just got done connecting the brake controller today. The plug is located under the dash, right above the hood release lever. there is a plastic cover under it but you can pull it out to the side without removing the cover. The connector is grey with nothing connected to it.

Good morning,

I am going to be buying a 20' Pontoon, decided after some research to go ahead and get a tandem trailer with a brake.

I've got a 2011 Explorer limited with the towing package. Anyway, I've been doing some reading and wondering, do I need to install a 3rd party brake controller? I've seen a few posts on here, and maybe I'm just a little dumb, but here's my question:

Am I getting any sort of benefit with having a brake on the tandem trailer if I don't have the brake controller? I noticed how to install the 3rd party controller, but do I need it???
:dunno

What kind of brake system does the trailer have?

I seldom post , but spend hours reading on here. Great info on here ! But I have question/observation I wanted to post to get some feedback. So here goes....2012 Explorer XLT w/ 3.5 V6

When I bought it (used) it had no hitch and no "tow package" listed on the window sticker. So after alot of research I found and installed a "T" -type connector into the factory harness under the rear passenger side fender. This gave me a 4-flat connector (plug&play). Then I added a 4-flat to 7-way adapter. Wires for trailer brake, 12volt, etc. were taped and put to the side. I was surprised to find a "T" type adapter worked instead of having to do one of the splice-in kits that are normally used for non-tow-package vehicles.

Now I'm ready to add the brake controller for use with our little pop-up camper that has brakes (2500lb camper). So I was prepared to have to run wires for a brake signal, 12 volts to the brake controller, a line from controller back to the trailer brake pin, and another line for the 12 volt supply to the trailer .

HERE's where it gets wierd....I found the plug under the dash that allows you to plug in a brake controller adapter ! I didn't expect that on a non-tow-package model.

So is there a "T" adapter that I can use at the back to get 7-way plug instead of just the 4-way ?

If I plug my brake controller into the plug under the dash, will I get power to the controller and a brake signal ? That would mean I only need to run a line for the trailer brakes and my 12v trailer supply.

I ordered a tekonsha controller and 3035-P adapter. Hoping for the best...

Did you ever see if there is such a thing as a 7 pin adapter for the rear that gives you functionality upfront? I'm in the exact same boat and am trying to retrofit as close to OEM as possible of a tow package. My limited did not come with the tow package so am looking to get the hitch, oil cooler and a 7 pin plug installed. Haven't looked under my dash yet to see if the plug is there because it would definitely make life easy.

Did you ever see if there is such a thing as a 7 pin adapter for the rear that gives you functionality upfront? I'm in the exact same boat and am trying to retrofit as close to OEM as possible of a tow package. My limited did not come with the tow package so am looking to get the hitch, oil cooler and a 7 pin plug installed. Haven't looked under my dash yet to see if the plug is there because it would definitely make life easy.

Already posted this in another thread but I can confirm that my 2013 Limited that does NOT have a factory tow package also had the trailer brake controller plug right underneath the steering wheel behind the hood release. Also all traiker fuses and relays are already in the engine bay fuse box.

This is a huge plus since it would mean that we do not need to do any hard wiring from the battery through the firewall and installing a brake controller is strictly plug and play as long as you have the appropriate 7 pin connector wiring harness in the back.

Hi, new to the group, joined to possible be of some help. Picked up my new 2016 Explorer XLT May of 2016, it has a factory installed Class III tow package. I had been looking for a week for the connector for an after market brake controller that should have come with the vehicle. Called the Ford help line, the dealer, looked on line all to naught. I finally found it! The FACTORY INSTALLED SOCKET for an after market plug for the brake controller on my vehicle was inside the dash on the drivers side. The ONLY way I could see it was to remove the LEFT end trim of the dash nearest the left door. Then with a light, look inside to the right and down a little, I'd say under the screen display. It was in 18" with the open end of the socket facing to the left side of the vehicle. There was NO play as it was taped to another bunch of wires. I could not reach it but was able to attach the plug by using blue painters tape and a stick. As I pushed it in I could hear a loud click as it locked in place. I had scored the blue tape and once the plug was locked, gave the stick a wiggle and the tape broke away. Then I fished the rest of the wire down to come under the dash to where I wanted it. Using a zip tie to keep it from contacting the steering column and getting chafed.

Welcome to the Forum Andy Sharpe. :wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this one found using the 'Search' function. It would also be helpful if you added the trim (XLT) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks for the helpful info and happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Some help please guys.....I have a new Explorer Sport with factory tow package. It does not come with a brake controller, however. I have a new Prodigy P3 controller with the wire harness to plug into the factory trailer brake port......sounds easy, right? I cannot find anything on the location of the port other than "above the brake pedal". I have contorted myself under there and cannot see any plug.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Mark

Some help please guys.....I have a new Explorer Sport with factory tow package. It does not come with a brake controller, however. I have a new Prodigy P3 controller with the wire harness to plug into the factory trailer brake port......sounds easy, right? I cannot find anything on the location of the port other than "above the brake pedal". I have contorted myself under there and cannot see any plug.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Mark
Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this one, See post 97 above for location.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent! Thanks Peter. I found it. I had already removed the bottom plastic piece and just decided to remove the front center panel (under the steering wheel) and the metal shield behind that and presto! The plug was just behind that secured to the top of a small metal tab that I couldn't see from underneath. It was actually on the bottom just above the brake pedal. From other forums and postings, there seems to be many different places that the factory secures these ports to. Removing the panels under the steering wheel is the key. Thanks all!

Back