2004 Starter Circuit: Sumpthin' Ain't Right! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Starter Circuit: Sumpthin' Ain't Right!

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Below is page 20-1 of my '04 Explorer Wiring Diagram Ford Shop Manual. The fuse no. F 1.12 is a 50-Amp. fuse, which feeds the Starter Motor when the Starter Relay "pulls-in". Since when did Starting Motors draw less than 50 Amps? Looks to me like a guaranteed blown fuse. Am I missing something here? imp

img49510.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The starter-relay is protected by 50 amps, but the power from the bat.tery to the motor is not fused at all.

The starter-relay is protected by 50 amps, but the power from the bat.tery to the motor is not fused at all.

How right you are! I missed the fact that the coils shown are Solenoid Coils, the motor's heavy current draw is not fused, as you said. Thanks for pointing that out! imp

Kind of odd isn't it? I relize it's a large gauge wire, but you'd think it'd still be fuse or circuit breaker protected.

Kind of odd isn't it? I relize it's a large gauge wire, but you'd think it'd still be fuse or circuit breaker protected.

Overcurrent protection is usually to provide assurance against starting a fire. A locked starter motor might draw 700 or more amps, which given the very low resistance of it's connecting cables, would not heat them much, or quickly. If the starter catches fire internally, Oh well!

Back