Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Question, is your Explorer an early model 2013 Explorer? Check to see if your front rotors have the little cut outs around the hub. If not, you have the older 2011 - 2013 brakes which I had a problem with myself driving tons of people.

I would recommend installing the Sport/ Interceptor brakes instead if your car doesn't have it because they are bigger, and tested by Ford, and it's made factory specific for the vehicle. I did the upgrade and it fixed my parking brake issue, my soft pedal issue, and every other issue I have had with them.

It does have the holes cut out around the rotor hubs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with 1995E

That Sport/Police brake package is plug and play and OEM.

Larger rotors, pads, and calipers.

If you check out the vendor on this site, Benny from Levittown Ford SuperCenter he has the package listed on his website for a good price.

Benny?........

I'm having a difficult time locating the listing for these upgraded parts.

I'm having a difficult time locating the listing for these upgraded parts.

Use the search function on this Forum it will come up

Here is a link to their site but they have specific bundled packages for that exact upgrade you want.

https://levittownfordsupercenter.com/levittown-parts/#parts

Found it.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-front-p-2195.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-rear-p-2196.html

PM me your email address, I cannot attach this type of file here

-Benny

Thanks Benny!

I installed your kit but with the interceptor calipers and pads instead. I had the red silicone seals on both front and rear calipers. On an empty country road with a long straight, I did 110 MPH and I was able to brake from there to 0 with no problems at all. So much grip with the new brakes and pads.

The police interceptor pads I got definitely do make a bit of noise when you let the brakes slide at 0 mph but I really didn't notice any brake fade from them after multiple stops. I am very please with the performance of these brakes.

Thanks Benny!

I installed your kit but with the interceptor calipers and pads instead. I had the red silicone seals on both front and rear calipers. On an empty country road with a long straight, I did 110 MPH and I was able to brake from there to 0 with no problems at all. So much grip with the new brakes and pads.

The police interceptor pads I got definitely do make a bit of noise when you let the brakes slide at 0 mph but I really didn't notice any brake fade from them after multiple stops. I am very please with the performance of these brakes.

I am glad to hear everything worked out and most importantly that you are happy with the performance :thumbsup:

-Benny

2015 Sport Brake Caliper+Rotor Upgrade??

I've tuned up my 2015 sport to be somewhere in the ballpark of ~450 hp and it's wonderful.

My issue is braking from pretty much anywhere over 100mph feels harsh, a bit squishy, and the stock calipers are heating up so much, so fast that I get a wiggle in the steering wheel.

I really want to upgrade the rotors and calipers but am having a hard time finding a brand that makes an application for a bolt-or / direct replacement.

Anyone know any options out there?

Thank you!
Nick

I've tuned up my 2015 sport to be somewhere in the ballpark of ~450 hp and it's wonderful.

My issue is braking from pretty much anywhere over 100mph feels harsh, a bit squishy, and the stock calipers are heating up so much, so fast that I get a wiggle in the steering wheel.

I really want to upgrade the rotors and calipers but am having a hard time finding a brand that makes an application for a bolt-or / direct replacement.

Anyone know any options out there?

Thank you!
Nick
Your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

2012 Ford explorer limited brake question

Hey all. Sorry in advance if this has been asked already. But I need to know asap. I have a 2012 Ford explorer limited and want to know if brake pads and rotors for a 2013 - 2015 would work. It's obv. The same body style and what not and pretty sure I just have the normal brake package and not the HD. But just wanna figure ths out

Thanks in advance

Cory

Hey all. Sorry in advance if this has been asked already. But I need to know asap. I have a 2012 Ford explorer limited and want to know if brake pads and rotors for a 2013 - 2015 would work. It's obv. The same body style and what not and pretty sure I just have the normal brake package and not the HD. But just wanna figure ths out

Thanks in advance

Cory
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Cory, although I can't answer your question, I can tell you that the brakes were changed/upgraded in size midway through the 2013 model build. They were upgraded to the same ones that were on the Sport.
I have also merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps there is some info here that would be of interest to you.

Peter

Thanks in advance

Cory

Hey. Yes, the Ford Explorer Sport brakes, rotors, and calipers can be put on the earlier 2011 - 2013 Explorers. You have to change the brackets and front shields. There's a kit for it provided by Levittown Ford. I got my stuff from them and it works great. The stopping power is much more improved. I just did a road trip back from Florida where I had to do some emergency braking with 7 180 pound people in the car and some luggage and the car stopped perfectly fine under intense breaking situations.

I also chose the interceptor calipers and pads instead of the Sport ones from Levittown Ford. The only thing is that the interceptor pads make more noise and a LOT more dust but I think it's worth the extra braking power with less brake fade.

if you want to up grade your brake try this company from arizona, TCE
www.tceperformanceproducts.com/ they have a kit for the explorer.they WILWOOD break kits
1-480-967-7901,Todd

if you want to up grade your brake try this company from arizona, TCE
www.tceperformanceproducts.com/ they have a kit for the explorer.they WILWOOD break kits
1-480-967-7901,Todd

Todd's who helped me with my custom brakes, and he made the rotor hats I'm using. He has moved I see, I think he was in the Carolina's before.

I'm not sure if is the same one,but the guys from wilwood recommended him.

It is, I have a card from him, the TCE is his company, I worked mine out with him in 2005. He was very good and knowledgeable, I recommend him a lot.

I looked my 2013, built 5/12, up in ETIS. It's listed with standard duty calipers, but my rotors are vented, so I'm guessing that either the brakes have already been upgraded, or at least the rotors replaced. It's only got 56k on it, so it shouldn't have needed replacement.

I looked my 2013, built 5/12, up in ETIS. It's listed with standard duty calipers, but my rotors are vented, so I'm guessing that either the brakes have already been upgraded, or at least the rotors replaced. It's only got 56k on it, so it shouldn't have needed replacement.
The brakes on all Explorers were upgraded to the same heavy duty ones of the Sport part way through the 2013 build. Don't recall a specific date ever being posted.

Peter

The brakes on all Explorers were upgraded to the same heavy duty ones of the Sport part way through the 2013 build. Don't recall a specific date ever being posted.

Peter

Yeah, that's why I checked ETIS. I read somewhere in the thread that it was 12/12. Mine definitely started with standard duty brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that's why I checked ETIS. I read somewhere in the thread that it was 12/12. Mine definitely started with standard duty brakes.

My memory says your 12/12 date is correct

Back