Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Pls leave this thread separately and donot move it to any other thread, this give many users the chance to get sync3. I will check this thread in the future and maybe will order the sync 3. If moved to other thread, it will be too hard to find this info anymore .

If ford cannot provide the upgrade officially , you should allow other to do so

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no reason to move this thread. If there was, it would have already been moved. The posts that were moved had nothing to do with the thread topic.

Peter

There is no reason to move this thread. If there was, it would have already been moved. The posts that were moved had nothing to do with the thread topic.

Peter

Ok I see

I just spoke with OEM AUTO PARTS CO... hi told me don't have yet the hardware and to call back in one-two months. I asked him if I can sell to them my MFT Sync 2 and hi said YES but , in this moment hi can't have a price for me.

Ford Explorer XLT 2014

Ford doesnt want to sell you a $2000 radio, Ford wants to sell you a $55k vehicle.

No reason for Ford to offer any upgrade which would increase they dev/test and support costs on an outdated platform.

yup - but it would be a nice 2016 1/2 model year upgrade :)

the parts they're using are Ford parts...

bdN9xmb.png

Has anyone purchased/installed this kit? Just purchased a 2016 Platinum and would definitely consider installing this kit if it works well and doesn't have any negative effects.

Has anyone purchased/installed this kit? Just purchased a 2016 Platinum and would definitely consider installing this kit if it works well and doesn't have any negative effects.
Your profile shows 2014 Durango?

Peter

If you open the link and check what is stated then you'll find answer to your question:
Quote: "COMING SOON! - EARLY 2016 - Upgrade from MyFord Touch (Sync 2) to SYNC 3 and enjoy all of the great SYNC features, plus the next generation of voice-activated technology. New easy-to-use design."
I doubt it is going to happen anyway...

Your profile shows 2014 Durango?

Peter

I just traded it in.

Regarding RedDen's reply, I didn't try adding it to cart, but it now has an add to cart button and I was assuming that note is old and they just didn't remove it.

I just traded it in.

Regarding RedDen's reply, I didn't try adding it to cart, but it now has an add to cart button and I was assuming that note is old and they just didn't remove it.
I think they never made it...

I think they never made it...

There is nothing for them to make. They are using OEM Ford parts. I've been wanting to upgrade my 2015, but it's been hard trying to find a Sync 3 APIM. If its not available yet, I assume they are having trouble getting APIM units. What they are selling is plug n play but the only thing I'm wondering is if they are programming the APIM for you since that will have to be done.

I didn't think that you could buy an APIM. Unserviceable ones all have to be returned to Ford. I believe that the only ones that jmr061 was able to obtain were from 'wrecks'.

Peter

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like oemautoparts now has a option for adding SYNC 3 to 2011-2015 Ford Explorers. It's pricey, but for those individuals that would have to replace their SYNC2 module out of pocket this doesn't seem like a bad option.

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade?variant=6929649153

On a side note maybe someone will figure out how to do it for cheaper on the Explorer. You could use this as a guide to figure it out: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

Edit: looks like you can go to https://www.facebook.com/OEM-Radio-Solutions-304277299911777/ and he should be able to get you everything you need including a custom harness so its plug and play

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like oemautoparts now has a option for adding SYNC 3 to 2011-2015 Ford Explorers. It's pricey, but for those individuals that would have to replace their SYNC2 module out of pocket this doesn't seem like a bad option.

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade?variant=6929649153

On a side note maybe someone will figure out how to do it for cheaper on the Explorer. You could use this as a guide to figure it out: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

Edit: looks like you can go to https://www.facebook.com/OEM-Radio-Solutions-304277299911777/ and he should be able to get you everything you need including a custom harness so its plug and play
Thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

I have been in contact with oem radio solutions. Pricing is as follows through him:

Complete plug and play unit with navigation:
$1,699
Without navigation: $1,299

If you go with the factory navigation you will have to source a aftermarket antenna (they are not expensive). However, as the unit is equipped with CarPlay and android auto I don't know why you would want the navigation...

Ford's navigation solution is far better integrated into the vehicle than CarPlay and Apple Maps are at current. Can't speak for Android.

I disabled CarPlay in part because the Ford Navigation is just that good.

I will document. I have a pioneer in my Shelby Terlingua. It has Apple Carplay, and I love it over anything else I have. Calling tomorrow, and ordering asap. Ill start my own thread on the whole process. I do so mich in mods on my other cars, I guess my take on spending 2k on my daily just seems a no brainer

Any update on this? Did you end up ordering/installing?

Greetings, some member Syn2 upgrade to Sync 3, please give references, I apologize for the English

Greetings, some member Syn2 upgrade to Sync 3, please give references, I apologize for the English
jmr061 did it for himself, not sure if he does it for someone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that the 17s are out it would be interesting to test but I don't have an Explorer anymore so I can't do it.

Back