Platinum Rear End Appearance With Tow Hitch Cover Removed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Platinum Rear End Appearance With Tow Hitch Cover Removed

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
So I pulled the tow hitch cover off my '16 Platinum and installed a hitch to help move a friend's mower to his GF's new house. All went weel, but when I look at the opening there with the hitch installed, it just really seemes to spoil the look...there's a big black plastic lip that sticks out at the top and it just looks unfinished.
I don;t recall that my '12 Limited looked that way. Anyone else unhappy with how that looks...may be I will try and reinstall the cover since I don't normally tow....On the '12 I installed a 3rd (4th?) brake light that slid into the hitch receiver...don't think that will look very good here though.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, at least you have a cover. Until 2011 Explorers didn't have a cover option.

Seriously?? you are concerned about what your behind looks like?

LOL some people like a nice behind.

So I pulled the tow hitch cover off my '16 Platinum and installed a hitch to help move a friend's mower to his GF's new house. All went weel, but when I look at the opening there with the hitch installed, it just really seemes to spoil the look...there's a big black plastic lip that sticks out at the top and it just looks unfinished.
I don;t recall that my '12 Limited looked that way. Anyone else unhappy with how that looks...may be I will try and reinstall the cover since I don't normally tow....On the '12 I installed a 3rd (4th?) brake light that slid into the hitch receiver...don't think that will look very good here though.
Thoughts?
A picture of what you're referring to would be nice for those of us that don't have the Platinum to check out.;)

Peter

Yeah. I want to see your behind.

Wait... that doesn't sound quite righto_O

While it doesn't bother me in the least, and it's very similar to what my 2012 looked like, one thing you could do is buy a spare cover and cut it with an oscillating or rotary tool to accommodate the hitch and power connector you use, then swap it on whenever you need to.

While it doesn't bother me in the least, and it's very similar to what my 2012 looked like, one thing you could do is buy a spare cover and cut it with an oscillating or rotary tool to accommodate the hitch and power connector you use, then swap it on whenever you need to.

Only feasible option I can see as well.

I like the Hitch showing. It tells others "I use this vehicle to tow big things!"

I like the Hitch showing. It tells others "I use this vehicle to tow big things!"
Looks like the male part of the hitch cover broke off and it looks like a small tongue sticking out at you?

:pics::pics:

Back