Just got a 93 Mazda Navajo ( one owner ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got a 93 Mazda Navajo ( one owner )

Austin96

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo 5 speed
hi. ( No idea how to insert a picture on this forum.) This weekend I bought a 5 speed 1993 Navajo DX 4wd . 240,000 miles and in very nice shape. Had 1 owner since new up until earlier this year when traded in to Carmax. Body & Paint are amazingly well kept so I have to think that the guy kept this garaged always. Interior has the manual sunroof, nice unripped leather seats and clean doors and dash etc..New parts; AC compressor , drier, new alternator fuel lines and fuel filter. Brakes suspension all are in good condition too.

I am getting used to the "long" shifting 5 speed. Seems a little harder to get in to 1st and 2nd than 3,4 and 5. Clutch pedal is still very firm.

Slight issues I ran into are the power lumbar and seat switch are inoperable. The 4x4 and low does not engage which I do not really need for my use.

That's about it for now but any insight into these issues or owning a Navajo are appreciated. I hope.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi. ( No idea how to insert a picture on this forum.) This weekend I bought a 5 speed 1993 Navajo DX 4wd . 240,000 miles and in very nice shape. Had 1 owner since new up until earlier this year when traded in to Carmax. Body & Paint are amazingly well kept so I have to think that the guy kept this garaged always. Interior has the manual sunroof, nice unripped leather seats and clean doors and dash etc..New parts; AC compressor , drier, new alternator fuel lines and fuel filter. Brakes suspension all are in good condition too.

I am getting used to the "long" shifting 5 speed. Seems a little harder to get in to 1st and 2nd than 3,4 and 5. Clutch pedal is still very firm.

Slight issues I ran into are the power lumbar and seat switch are inoperable. The 4x4 and low does not engage which I do not really need for my use.

That's about it for now but any insight into these issues or owning a Navajo are appreciated. I hope.
Thanks.

You need to either link to photos you have stored on Photo bucket or become an Elite Explorer member so you can upload directly to the forum.

For the long shifting transmission, I wonder if your shifter bushings are worn. I never noticed mine to have too long of a throw, but I suppose it might if you compare it to a small car.

For the seats, do you hear the pump motor working at all when you hit the switch? If you do, but the seat wont pump up, I had the same issue. The hose under the seat cracked. I pulled the seat out, slipped a piece of tygon fuel line over both ends and it works great. I used tygon because it is very flexible and holds on to the hard plastic well. That and I always have lots of the stuff.

For the 4x4, its common for the electric motors to get stuck "out of range". You can take them off and rebuild them with new stops.

For the long shifting transmission, I wonder if your shifter bushings are worn. I never noticed mine to have too long of a throw, but I suppose it might if you compare it to a small car.

For the seats, do you hear the pump motor working at all when you hit the switch? If you do, but the seat wont pump up, I had the same issue. The hose under the seat cracked. I pulled the seat out, slipped a piece of tygon fuel line over both ends and it works great. I used tygon because it is very flexible and holds on to the hard plastic well. That and I always have lots of the stuff.

For the 4x4, its common for the electric motors to get stuck "out of range". You can take them off and rebuild them with new stops.

Hey Rick, Long shifting is just compared to the "short shifting" N Beetle 5 speed I had last . The shifting though is somewhat of a struggle to go from 1st to 2nd and a little into 1st ...Not so much 3rd down to 2nd though. I am hoping this is maybe a hydraulic fluid thing and not anything mechanical. The transmisison shifting goes into each gear ok but just moving the stick from 1st to 2nd is a bit of a job.
I did not hear the pump motor under the seat so maybe a diff issue than a cracked hose.
Other old age issue is in my drivers door with the power window slipping sometimes on up and down. The motor moves but the window seems to not go with the motor in some places. Tempermental.
AA

Congrats, Navajo's are getting rare these days! What color is it?

On the window issue, that's pretty common, my 2 door/Sport does shudder occasionally on the driver's side. One of these days I am going to pull the door panel and clean and lube (with silicone) the sliders and frame mechanism. The interior door panel is held in by some plastic xmas tree push pins, and some screws.

Congrats, Navajo's are getting rare these days! What color is it?

On the window issue, that's pretty common, my 2 door/Sport does shudder occasionally on the driver's side. One of these days I am going to pull the door panel and clean and lube (with silicone) the sliders and frame mechanism. The interior door panel is held in by some plastic xmas tree push pins, and some screws.

I am ok to remove the door panel. Sounds good. Thanks and I wish I knew how to post a picture here. ( On the Peach Parts Mercedes forum I am on it's simple.) Mine is white / eggshell color I guess.

All you need is an account on photobucket. Once you upload your photos there, click on the picture, and on the right side are links. Left click on the one for forums and it will automatically copy it. Then all you do is paste it in your post.

All you need is an account on photobucket. Once you upload your photos there, click on the picture, and on the right side are links. Left click on the one for forums and it will automatically copy it. Then all you do is paste it in your post.

Thanks. That's a PITA. No wonder.

I cant imagine how it would be any easier. You upload to photobucket and post the link here.

I cant imagine how it would be any easier. You upload to photobucket and post the link here.

So I do not have a photobucket I have to upload that then upload my pictures then upload from there to here. It would be easier if you imagine you don't have to go through photobucket.

So i download photobucket which btw is loaded with spam and popups so that is not going to last long....cannot figure out how to get picture of my truck from there to here , so I go to newmember forum and find this helpful link

If you don't need the 4x4, don't worry too much. If you do, there is a thread on fixing it here.

The lumbar switch might be the culprit, or the pump itself. Luckily, the seats (don't worry about removing the track, just the seats. Otherwise you'll have to mess with the bolt for the seat belt receiver.) come out easy, and you can swap the pump and/or switches out, easy as pie. Salvage yards have tons of them. Explorer parts will work in your Navajo.

I did a seat swap in mine from a second gen. For that one, I still didn't remove seat tracks. Just switched the wire harnesses for the power seats and lumbar, and bolted 'em in.

You a
So i download photobucket which btw is loaded with spam and popups so that is not going to last long....cannot figure out how to get picture of my truck from there to here , so I go to newmember forum and find this helpful link

• and it opens up into a blank page. Yeah this is alot easier than just posting direclty from my files already on my PC .

• The easiest way to upload photos to the site is if you are a supporting member. Then you can upload to each post right from your mobile or desktop.

Photobucket and other other offsite storage options earn their money for their "free service" by providing advertisements.

If you setup your own domain you can host your own photos and present them anywhere. That's always another option.

Sorry about the blank page, some of the addresses have changes since we moved to our new software one month ago.

Back