• Register Today It's free!

Trade in value?

bobhew

Reaction score
City, State
west chester, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
Has anyone had any luck in getting good value for your trade? I went to trade in my 2011 limited with 9k miles and they only offered me 31,900. Kbb has it listed at 37,450. My sticker price was 45,600 which I bought in July of last year. Talk about depreciation! Hopefully when I take it to a different dealer tomorrow they'll come up a little!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, sadly- it is a 2011, so according to the books, it's 2 model years old no matter when you bought it... I wouldn't expect much more.

6k is a huge difference between kbb and what they offered though. Never have had that much difference trading in before

I really don't think that with some of the issues had with the 2011's in particular, that they are going to vary much from black book pricing, which is typically less than kbb. They're going to price it at what they can auction it for if they don't sell. I think the incentives and financing on new vs. used make your hoped for trade value hard to get to, as they would have to sell it for virtually the same monthly payment as someone could buy a new one for.

Mine just had its 1 year anniversary and it is 2+ model years old. I guess Ford did'nt care about our re-sales when it came out with my'13 early in 2012. I would think one could do better with a private sale, rather than a trade at this time.

Just made a deal on a 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost (being built today, Yeah!). The dealer is giving me 35,250 for my 2011 Explorer Limited 4x4 (8k miles). This is about the best I could find around here. One dealer offered me 32,500 for it and another offered me 30k, so they're all over the board. The dealer that's selling me the F150 sold it to me for invoice, threw in $450 of his holdback, plus I'm getting $4250 in rebates. ($51k sticker and I'm paying 39,600 it.)

Shop around, I'll bet you can find a dealer that's willing to do better. I'm sad to see my Explorer go, I love it and have had zero problems with it, but we're looking to upgrade our camper and I'm going to need a little more pulling power than the Ex can provide.

Good luck with you new purchase. :)

Doesn't KBB (or edmunds) show a few values, one for retail value ... assumption is that is what you posted 37k. But the other would be trade-in value what a dealer would pay and still be able to profit when they sell used. At the end of the day Dealer is going to make some money off the deal so you likely are not going to get kbb retail value. Dealer needs to "buy" from you at a decent price and have a little room to give next person a price that is a little less than kbb retail so they think they are getting a "deal."

Good luck with you new purchase. :)

Doesn't KBB (or edmunds) show a few values, one for retail value ... assumption is that is what you posted 37k. But the other would be trade-in value what a dealer would pay and still be able to profit when they sell used. At the end of the day Dealer is going to make some money off the deal so you likely are not going to get kbb retail value. Dealer needs to "buy" from you at a decent price and have a little room to give next person a price that is a little less than kbb retail so they think they are getting a "deal."

yeah the lowest trade in offer on kbb was 32,500 for a vehicle in fair condition. I didnt expect to get 37K but 35 wouldve been nice. Im shopping it around to other dealers at this moment. I also just found out about the tax credit that you get when trading in a car (you only pay tax on the difference between what your paying for the new car and the value of your trade in)

The latest blackbook pricing for PA has been 33,750 for an average one with all the options so unfortunately it'll only just drop as the market floods with more vehicles.

Lets face it folks, if you bought the explorer with the same emotion that you thought would get a decent trade in $$$ for it, Im sorry you just don't understand the american automobile market, you buy, you drive, you lose. Its that simple and they know it.

2011 limited 4x4 with 302A, 19,500 miles.

Was offered $26k on trade a few weeks ago. Needless to say I didn't accept it.

27 month old 2014 limited 301a tow pkg with 21k miles, excellent condition Sticker price $43k - I'm only getting $25k for the trade

kbb = $27k - $29k trade in very good condition

UPDATE
Just an FYI
one dealer quoted $28,000 another $25,000

27 month old 2014 limited 301a tow pkg with 21k miles, excellent condition Sticker price $43k - I'm only getting $25k for the trade

kbb = $27k - $29k trade in very good condition
Usually the trade-in value will depend on what it is that you're trading it in on. Check out Autotrader in your area to get an idea of what they are going for.

Peter

Most dealers will only give what they can get them for from auctions (black book).

As everyone should know the dealer will stick it to you if you want to trade in a vehicle on a newer one.

The best way to do it is to bite the bullet and sell it yourself, then you have some wiggle room on the price then take that money down to the dealer and put it down on your new ride. The only way that I would take a vehicle to the dealer for a trade in is if it is a piece of junk, then the dealer will only give you $500 unless they have a "push, pull, or drag" sale going on.

That being said you have to figure out how much more you can get selling private. If it's a grand or two is it worth haggling letting ppl test drive your car waste a ton of time with tire kickers and the worst case scenario get a knock on your door two months later hey my bla bla bla stopped working.

I hate dealers and have gotten raped probably on every single trade in ever but it's allot simpler to just hand in the keys and walk away sometimes.

On the other hand too why would I buy your truck for 30k when I can buy one from a dealer for 31 or 32k certified with a warranty? Me personally I would never risk buying anything over 12k without a warranty.

That being said you have to figure out how much more you can get selling private. If it's a grand or two is it worth haggling letting ppl test drive your car waste a ton of time with tire kickers and the worst case scenario get a knock on your door two months later hey my bla bla bla stopped working.

I hate dealers and have gotten raped probably on every single trade in ever but it's allot simpler to just hand in the keys and walk away sometimes.

On the other hand too why would I buy your truck for 30k when I can buy one from a dealer for 31 or 32k certified with a warranty? Me personally I would never risk buying anything over 12k without a warranty.

Another thing to consider is that the trade in price is subtracted from the vehicle price when it comes time to calculate the tax so a grand or two is not worth it in my case.
$28000 trade in = $2485 less in tax on the new EX (here in NY)

Back