Oil Change interval | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

It's simple, at least in my guess, FoMoCo used to recommend 5,000 miles for the semi-synthetic blend so the dealership is just behind plus makes them more money. My 2011 F150 says every 5,000 miles with semi-synthetic in the manual but with Amsoil I go 10,000 miles with no worries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just out of curiosity, for anyone offered or negotiated for free oil changes with the EX purchase, what are the interval's advised by the dealer. Just wondering when the oil changes are free if they spread that out to 7500 or 10K.

It seems the dealers like the number 5000. USA - 5000 miles. Canada - 5000 kilometres.
Read the fine print carefully. You will see that there is a time interval as well.

5000 miles/kilometres or 6 months (something like that) whichever comes first.

I only put about 3.5k miles on my Ex last year as I have been able to use a relative's car as a daily driver. The oil life monitor in the Ex did not tell me to change until 11 months.

A lot depends on your driving habits; I tow frequently as well a drive long distances.

I change every 6000-8000 and use Amsoil Signature with the EA filter. Even though Amsoil says I can go 15000+ miles, I'm not comfortable with that.

It seems the dealers like the number 5000. USA - 5000 miles. Canada - 5000 kilometres.
Read the fine print carefully. You will see that there is a time interval as well.

Oil change intervals per Ford are to do it when the OLM tells you to or a maximum time of 1 year, whichever occurs first. The OLM will not let you go beyond a year without telling you to change it.

I'm a little confused, in that the owners manual tells me to change the oil in my 2016 Ford Explorer every ten thousand miles. The oil life monitor seems to match that.

The Ford dealer, where I purchased the vehicle from is telling me to change it every 5000 miles.

Why would the company and the dealer tell me something different?

Obviously, if changing it every 10k is sufficient, that would be preferable, since it saves me money and time!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' program on "Oil Change Interval" I found this existing thread and merged yours with it. In reading through the posts you will find everyone has their own opinion on the subject including which oil to use. Read though it if you wish and change it when you want.

Peter

A lot depends on your driving habits; I tow frequently as well a drive long distances.

I change every 6000-8000 and use Amsoil Signature with the EA filter. Even though Amsoil says I can go 15000+ miles, I'm not comfortable with that.

The dealer where I purchased my Sport from, recommends 8000km, or 6 months.
For a FI vehicle, I wouldn't stretch it out any further and based on my driving habits, I can easily go pass both recommendations; but it's not going to break the bank doing 2,3 or 4 oil changes a year.

My dealer tells me to trust the OLM and to only do it when the computer says to under normal conditions. If i was towing I'd probably do shorter intervals.

Do what you want but there is no reason to tell everyone about it. Fact of the matter is I don't recall reading any post's from an Ex owner relating an engine related failure. The couple of water pump incidents have nothing to do with lubrication. Today's oil, six speed transmissions, OHC engines, computer controlled fuel monitoring, fuel injection etc result in engines lasting 100 of thousand miles. Honestly how often do you see a vehicle spewing smoke out of the exhaust pipe? almost never. Once again read the Consumer Reports article on oil change intervals. After this extensive test they concluded doing more frequent oil changes rather than the Mfg recommended is a waste of money.

Hey, All. I have a quick question about service intervals on our 2015 Limited. Do you usually go by the percentage shown on the vehicle health report, or do you go by what your dealer suggests? The dealership left a sticker saying 5k miles, but my report shows it's still at about 35% at 6k miles. We're only at 16,000 miles on the car at this point, I just need to when we should be getting the work done.

Hey, All. I have a quick question about service intervals on our 2015 Limited. Do you usually go by the percentage shown on the vehicle health report, or do you go by what your dealer suggests? The dealership left a sticker saying 5k miles, but my report shows it's still at about 35% at 6k miles. We're only at 16,000 miles on the car at this point, I just need to when we should be getting the work done.

Per the book, 10,000 miles, 1 year, or when the OLM (Oil Level Monitor) indicates it's time. I run Mobil 1 Full Syn 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter. Lots of threads on here, and LOTS of opinions. We have over 80,000 miles on this regimen.

I had Blackstone test the oil (with TBN). There is no reason to change earlier unless you are towing.

Lots of opinions... but the facts are... the OLM is conservative and lots of protection left when it tells you to change. Follow the OLM... 5k changes are the old 3k changes. Dealers put it on there for more revenue.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the Forum's 'Search' function I found this 20 page thread on "Oil Change Interval" and merged yours with it.

Peter

Here's a funny statement from the "book"

"If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals."

If the OLM is not functioning, why would it be a concern to automatically change the oil at 5000 miles (8000 kilometers)?

My ride is a fleet vehicle and we are required to change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. The distance is designed to cover a range of driving conditions and is conservative in approach. I'm OK with it as we use a basic non-synthetic oil.

Just out of curiosity, for anyone offered or negotiated for free oil changes with the EX purchase, what are the interval's advised by the dealer. Just wondering when the oil changes are free if they spread that out to 7500 or 10K.

Generally, if you have an IOLM of some sort, the dealers won't change it until it's below 25% life left. Some even go to 20%.

Again, we change fleet vehicles at 8,000 miles. I have 6,100 on the Explorer right now and it shows 42% left. So it's now looking like I could go approx. 10,500 by that monitor.

8,000 is way more than I go with my personal vehicle, but if the IOLM is to be believed, then I should be fine.

The only time they look at my IOLM is when they go to reset it after doing the work.:)

Peter

Oil change intervals per Ford are to do it when the OLM tells you to or a maximum time of 1 year, whichever occurs first. The OLM will not let you go beyond a year without telling you to change it.
it might if you parked for long durations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I change my 2012 @ 5000 mi. I had a Honda Odyssey previously for 8 yrs & changed @ 5K mi and sold it w/130K mi and the engine was still running like new. Never used synthetics on the Honda, but now the Explorer uses blended synthetic oil.

Back