2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

what is TSB, MPP, ETB? Go ahead and laugh!!!

TSB - Technical Service Bulletin
MPP - Maintenance Protection Plan (Aftermarket Warranty)
ETB - Electronic Throttle Body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same breakdown happened to me yesterday, 6/27/2016. Sat for an hour in 108 degrees waiting for the tow. Dealership informed me today it was the throttle body and it could take 2 weeks to get the part. I do not have an extended service plan but they are providing an enterprise rental car and say it must be a ford. I am 6'4", use a wheelchair and often have a St Bernard with me so I hope it is sized appropriately.

I want to ask if other forum members experienced really loud idling when in park in the driveway? Mine did it and I was thinking it was a really loud cooling fan and planned on asking about it on first service call. Now I wonder if it was in fact due to the throttle issue. I never even thought to look at the tach. Yesterday when broken down and I was turning on the car once in a while for AC was the first time I ever heard it kick down to a normal idling level.

And... I figured out ESP must mean extended service plan, but what is TSB, MPP, ETB? Go ahead and laugh!!!

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There seem to be 2 main issues with the 2016 models. One is the throttle body and the other is the cooling fan bearing noise. Perhaps you have both.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/radiator-fan-bearing-noise-2016-models.438269/
TSB - Technical Service Bulletins issued by the manufacturer for vehicle defects. These are fixed without charge while under warranty.
MPP - Mechanical Protection Plan which is like warranty not issued by the manufacturer. It is a "3rd party" warranty and sometimes not as comprehensive as an ESP.
ETB - not sure. Just love the way these acronyms are thrown around expecting every one to know what they stand for when it only takes a second or so to type the words.

Peter

There seem to be 2 main issues with the 2916 models. One is the throttle body and the other is the cooling fan bearing noise. Perhaps you have both.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/radiator-fan-bearing-noise-2016-models.438269/
TSB - Technical Service Bulletins issued by the manufacturer for vehicle defects. These are fixed without charge while under warranty.
MPP - Mechanical Protection Plan which is like warranty not issued by the manufacturer. It is a "3rd party" warranty and sometimes not as comprehensive as an ESP.
ETB - not sure. Just love the way these acronyms are thrown around expecting every one to know what they stand for when it only takes a second or so to type the words.

Peter
Wow!! I wish I could see that far into the future!

There seem to be 2 main issues with the 2016 models. One is the throttle body and the other is the cooling fan bearing noise. Perhaps you have both.

Peter
Thank you, hope I was not a PIA

Hello, Just wanted to say what an awesome group this is...been following a few months now, and i'm hoping the TB issue is worked out by the time my lease is up...(Dec '16)...currently have a 2015 Escape Titanium (too small after my GMC Envoy), and have my eye on 2017 Explorer Limited...beautiful suv

Hello, Just wanted to say what an awesome group this is...been following a few months now, and i'm hoping the TB issue is worked out by the time my lease is up...(Dec '16)...currently have a 2015 Escape Titanium (too small after my GMC Envoy), and have my eye on 2017 Explorer Limited...beautiful suv
Welcome to the Forum Gary.:wave: Nice to have you aboard. I'll likely be looking at a 2017 Platinum when my lease is up. They are installing a revised TB now so I'm also hoping it solves the issue long term.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Gary.:wave: Nice to have you aboard. I'll likely be looking at a 2017 Platinum when my lease is up. They are installing a revised TB now so I'm also hoping it solves the issue long term.

Peter
thanx fer the welcome :) i'm hoping all is fixed soon...have been hunting around the internet looking for replacement(s) for my Escape...nice car BTW...lotsa bells n whistles, but just too damm small fer me....6'1" 240....should never have leased it (should have gone right to the Explorer)

Just traded in a Chevy with multiple timing chain problems. So I decided to buy my fiance a new explorer as a wedding present which is in 3 weeks. We had the vehicle for 16 hours and of course it stalls out goes into limp mode and gets towed to dealer.. might be up to 3-4 weeks to get part..and no rental available.

I'm having same problem on my 2016 explorer xlt. 8000 miles on it waiting for part indefinitely. What is the smoke test and duct tightening procedure.??

What a ****ty dealership. New vehicle and no rental was given.
Was this the same place where you purchased the vehicle?

What a ****ty dealership. New vehicle and no rental was given.
Was this the same place where you purchased the vehicle?
Although many dealers do provide a loaner/rental, neither they nor Ford is obliged to do so. When dealers do, it is at their expense. That's one advantage of having the ESP with the 1st day rental clause. Having said that, I too would be upset if I was to be without a vehicle for 3-4 weeks for a 'known' issue.

Peter

No I bought it from an independent dealer. The Ford dealership it was towed to has been very sympathetic and is trying to arrange a rental through enterprise which is a whole other issue on 4th of July weekend. I am more upset with Ford corporate in how they are handling the situation.

I actually had planned on purchasing an esp but hadn't had the vehicle long enough to get to a Ford dealership to do so..

Rainman73 be sure to buy the Ford ESP plan as the aftermarket plans do not cover near the component failure that Ford does. Most aftermarket companies will send out an adjustor to approve or deny the claim. The aftermarket companies are all about keeping their money and denying your coverage.

Good news. I, and I repeat, I found a dealer 2 hours away that had the throttle body in stock. Arranged to pick up myself. Will deliver part to servicing dealer and have my vehicle back tomorrow. Pays to make a couple phone calls on your own I guess..they actually had seven in stock.

Other than the inconvenience of the drive it beats fighting for a rental and getting it paid for. Plus I get my vehicle back 2-3 weeks sooner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good news. I, and I repeat, I found a dealer 2 hours away that had the throttle body in stock. Arranged to pick up myself. Will deliver part to servicing dealer and have my vehicle back tomorrow. Pays to make a couple phone calls on your own I guess..they actually had seven in stock.
Did you make sure that it was the updated one and not just the regular OEM one? Seems strange that other dealers are waiting 2-3 weeks for one and he has seven.

Peter

Back