• Register Today It's free!

Gear shift cable adjustment

BOGART56

Reaction score
City, State
TULARE CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLT
I don't know if there is a thread about this somewhere else,if so sorry but i have a question. The other day i was parked in a driveway that was kinda steep and i couldn't shift from park into reverse. After a little force it went into gear. Now when i shift from park into drive i have to go a little past drive into third a little before it goes into drive. I'm thinking the cable needs adjustment? any suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes the cable comes loose where it mounts to the shifter under the console. There is a small tab that keeps the cable locked to the shifter and sometimes pops up and will cause your symptom.

Sometimes the cable comes loose where it mounts to the shifter under the console. There is a small tab that keeps the cable locked to the shifter and sometimes pops up and will cause your symptom.

I hope thats all it is. I'll tear it apart to see this weekend. Thanks for the info

is it complicated to reach to? i know how to take off my console (i've installed my own deck and all) I dont see where there is a cable

please someone tell me where the cable is!! i live on a hill and it gets dangerous when i break and leave my car there

please someone tell me where the cable is!! i live on a hill and it gets dangerous when i break and leave my car there

I'll see what I can figure out. I'll let you know what I can find.

Hello, I think I am having this same problem, If it is not just a loose cable could it be a faulty console shifter assembly? I have spent days on this trying to get it working well including replacing and fiddling with neutal safety switch and adjusting the shifting rod connected to it.... thanks for any help!!

Hello, I think I am having this same problem, If it is not just a loose cable could it be a faulty console shifter assembly? I have spent days on this trying to get it working well including replacing and fiddling with neutal safety switch and adjusting the shifting rod connected to it.... thanks for any help!!

I actually had something similar happen to me earlier this year. It turns out it was the part of the shift cable that attaches to the trans had worked its way loose from the connecting point. All I had to do was get under the truck and pop that little silver box that attaches to the shifter(for a lack of better terms) back onto the transmission. Not sure this is exactly what you're experiencing but it's worth a try.

I actually had something similar happen to me earlier this year. It turns out it was the part of the shift cable that attaches to the trans had worked its way loose from the connecting point. All I had to do was get under the truck and pop that little silver box that attaches to the shifter(for a lack of better terms) back onto the transmission. Not sure this is exactly what you're experiencing but it's worth a try.

Thanks Texan, I have been under there when I replaced the neutral safety switch and saw that. Not having any luck after switching the neutral switch, I did try to adjust the shift cable and had to take off the little silver box (which I think is a heat protector, due to its neighbor the catalytic converter being so close) and snap it off the gear selector lever on the transmission. There did not seem to be any play with it at all. I did adjust it a little forward then a little backwards trying to get things in sync again but just cannot get it all to work at once. Sometimes It starts in Park but most of the time I have to move the shifter between neutral and reverse with foot on the brake to get it to start. Also I have to push the shift stick just out of reverse to get it to go into reverse. And listen for a little "click" up in the dash behind the gauges to know I'm in reverse.

Start at your transmission and follow it up to where it goes you'll see the linkage on the bottom driver side and little tidbit when parking on a hill always get close to the curb and turn your tire like your pulling out back up just enough to set the tire on
the curb it'll have to jump it before it rolls down the hill

Back