Differences between years 1991-1994 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between years 1991-1994

Makes me wonder if the 93 and 94 front sway bar brackets are the same, or different...

That crossmember means the 94 bracket is shorter on the front side, at least mine is. The 93 one looks even on both sides?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, my 93 has the cross member, but the sway bar brackets don't have the hole in the rubber like that picture of the 94.

I think I've looked at it before and it's hollowed out but there's mold marks inside. It looks like that's the way it came from the factory. Saving on rubber I guess?

That's the original 20+ year old bushing? That thing must be fossilized by now. I've gone thru about 4 sets, but I've had trouble with the bracket and bolts over the years.

Yes, my 93 has the cross member, but the sway bar brackets don't have the hole in the rubber like that picture of the 94.

I don't know if the stock bushings had a hole in them or not. I know when I bought my 94 in 2000, I think (but don't know) that it had the original OEM swaybar bushings and they were solid, no hole in them.
I doubt my previous owner replaced them, he wasn't the type to do that sorta thing. Now lately, every time I buy sway bar bushings, I have trouble getting them to fit -- it is as if they are too tall (maybe made for 91-92?). I even had to shave off a few mm from the top on a set one time. Then another time I "forced" them up, and ended up stripping the bracket bolts out due to pressure from the bar and bushing.

my 92 has the welded cross member and solid sway bar bushings. also has the offset bushing brackets.

Another difference in the 1991 is that the fuel line as it connects to the fpr is a funky clip on style. 1992-1994 is a threaded fitting. Changing the 1991 style to the 1992 style makes FPR and fuel lines (at the fpr) much cheaper.

Another difference in the 1991 is that the fuel line as it connects to the fpr is a funky clip on style. 1992-1994 is a threaded fitting. Changing the 1991 style to the 1992 style makes FPR and fuel lines (at the fpr) much cheaper.

Do you have a picture of this? My 1991 (03/91) has the threaded fittings on both the rail and FPR. I think I remember seeing the clip-on one when ordering but didn't think the Explorers had them.

Is there any difference between consoles? (single cupholder vs. double cupholder)?

Do you have a picture of this? My 1991 (03/91) has the threaded fittings on both the rail and FPR. I think I remember seeing the clip-on one when ordering but didn't think the Explorers had them.
Hrm.. I'm not sure where my reply went, so I'm going to try to remember what I wrote....

Basically, the 1991 parts explorer I had here had that clip on style... AND I think the motor in the X now had it when I got it (I picked it up to rebuild it).

Here's the 2 styles available for 1991 as per rockauto...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=47095&cc=1119608&jsn=10548

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=951172&cc=1119608&jsn=10547

~Mark

Interesting. With part numbers starting with 90 and F0 on the clip-on, that tells me it's a relic from a previous vehicle. I'd imagine you'd find them more on late 80's or a 1990 Ranger. Sure enough, going back and looking at the Rangers from that vintage on RockAuto, with the 4.0L and 2.9L, you see more clip-on pressure regulators than screw-on. It's switched for the 1991 Explorer. I'll add that to the main post. Thanks for mentioning that.

*EDIT*
This is where your reply went:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-fuel-pressure-regulator.208607/#post-3548935

Is there any difference between consoles? (single cupholder vs. double cupholder)?
Yes. Up & down & side by side. But they are interchangeable. My 93 had the up & down & I swapped to the side by side one. The armrests I have seen 2 styles as well. A hard rubber one & a fabric covered one.

Added composite vs stamped steel rear diff cover.

Also EGR must have come in a bit earlier. I picked up an engine off of Craigslist for cheap and thought that since it had EGR, it should have 93TM heads. Just checked today and the heads are cast 90TM. This engine also has a camshaft sensor.

*EDIT*
Also added differences in the Power Distribution Box.

Couple things about 93's. Nothing new just adding to what you already have.

Every 93 I've seen also has that crossmember underneath the radiator.

4WABS was added for '93.

That newer style power distribution box was also used in '93.

My '93, build date 7/93, has the tensioner attached with two bolts and has a smooth pulley. And I'm pretty sure the diff cover is steel, because it sounds metal when I tap on it. Maybe these are things that changed in the middle of the model year?

My '93, build date 7/93, has the tensioner attached with two bolts and has a smooth pulley. And I'm pretty sure the diff cover is steel, because it sounds metal when I tap on it. Maybe these are things that changed in the middle of the model year?

As a point of reference...my 94....build date 11/93....has the single bolt tensioner, and ribbed pulley.

On the EGR, it's possible that Cali Emissions had EGR earlier in '93. (?) But I do not know.

Post updated with info moved around. Thanks for contributing guys!

Great Thread post Nate!!! Very interesting differences for our 1st Gen model's.
This explains some tf the troubles I have getting parts for my early '91 model, specifically, the FPR.

Thanks Maniak - Mark too for your links to Rock Auto.

My '94 XLT had an oddball assortment of things. 6 digit odometer, EGR (all '94's had it), auto headlights (thought only limiteds had this), leyless entry (rare on any trim except Limited, I think), had the '95 style cargo cover, and a cutout on the left cargo interior panel for a power lock switch (covered by a blank panel), the "deer print" wheels, 4WABS. The rear wiper motor was something I replaced, and it seems the spindle was a different size from other years, requiring me to also take the wiper arm.

Cup holders could vary. There was a single, a two-cup (horozontal), and a two-cup (verticle) that was color keyed to the console and had the little cubby on the right side of it. It would fit your horizontal two-cup console, if you were to find one and replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

M 94 xlt has keyless entry and keyless start. I'm under the impression it is factory installed, the module is above the brake pedal and says Viper on it. Like most car, XLT, Sport, Limited were all trim packages, not accessories. Its the same reason the chevy SS package does not mean its fast.

Back