2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

It's always good to see such trusting and positively motivated souls....
looks to me that dealer has an inside line to the parts warehouse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having same problem on my 2016 explorer xlt. 8000 miles on it waiting for part indefinitely. What is the smoke test and duct tightening procedure.??
That was what they did on my Explorer back in March to finally correct the issue.
I don't know the specifics, but I guessing that they use a smoke generator to introduce smoke into the induction system of the engine. They look for where the smoke comes out, indicating leaks in the duct work & tighten the clamps, or whatever holds the ducts together.
They had replaced the Throttle Body a week earlier, so I don't know if the original source of the problem was the throttle body & the ducts were not tightened when they installed the new one, or if the issue of the duct leaks was out of the factory.

Add me to the list. 2016 XLT V6 6500 miles. Dropping off at the dealership now. Showed codes P2111 and P2112. Same symptoms everyone else is talking about.

I just had this same problem on my 2016 Explorer with 10500 miles on Tuesday- it shut down on me just as I got off the highway going to work, great way to start the day! I was fortunate that the dealer was able to fix it same day but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about the vehicle long term. I drive about 50 miles a day all highway and I am nervous that it will happen again at highway speeds this time.

I just had this same problem on my 2016 Explorer with 10500 miles on Tuesday- it shut down on me just as I got off the highway going to work, great way to start the day! I was fortunate that the dealer was able to fix it same day but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about the vehicle long term. I drive about 50 miles a day all highway and I am nervous that it will happen again at highway speeds this time.
Welcome to the Forum. Good to hear that the dealer was able to fix it the same day.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. Good to hear that the dealer was able to fix it the same day.

Peter
Thanks Peter!
I was wondering if anyone has seen a recurrence of the problem after the initial fix?

Thanks Peter!
I was wondering if anyone has seen a recurrence of the problem after the initial fix?
The same question was asked back on June 27th Kim, and so far no response to it indicating 'yes'. I believe the only recurrence was earlier when the throttle body was replaced with the same OEM one that had not been updated.

Peter

I've put about 4k miles (with long road trip) since the repair/replacement and zero issues (and hope it stays that way!)

The same question was asked back on June 27th Kim, and so far no response to it indicating 'yes'. I believe the only recurrence was earlier when the throttle body was replaced with the same OEM one that had not been updated.

Peter
Apologies, I missed that post. I will hope no news is good news then

Apologies, I missed that post. I will hope no news is good news then
No apology necessary. It's a short time frame since then, but like you said, it appears to be good news. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

This issue is getting very strange...

To be clear, I have not had the problem yet but as I get near the sweet spot of failures, I am concerned about a possible long cross country road trip that could strand me in the middle of nowhere for 3+ weeks....

I have tried to get some answers from Ford and while they are very nice and try to be accomodating, I can't get any answers... or maybe legally they can't admit there is a problem.

Questions I have asked...

Is there a specific engine, model or production time that is more prone to have the failing part? I am sure if the ETB is being replaced under warranty, they know this info.

Is there an updated part?
It has stated here that a couple dealers have said there is but Ford and my dealer will not confirm and said that there is only one part number so it is not possible to tell.

I was even thinking of just buying the part and keeping it in the car... if it isn't too expensive... poor option considering I have the ESP.

Yet my dealer has acknowledged seeing the issue but they said it was not in substancial numbers to say it is anything to worry about....

I love the vehicle but not sure if I can depend on it.... specially on a long trip far from home...

This issue is getting very strange...

To be clear, I have not had the problem yet but as I get near the sweet spot of failures, I am concerned about a possible long cross country road trip that could strand me in the middle of nowhere for 3+ weeks....

I have tried to get some answers from Ford and while they are very nice and try to be accomodating, I can't get any answers... or maybe legally they can't admit there is a problem.

Questions I have asked...

Is there a specific engine, model or production time that is more prone to have the failing part? I am sure if the ETB is being replaced under warranty, they know this info.

Is there an updated part?
It has stated here that a couple dealers have said there is but Ford and my dealer will not confirm and said that there is only one part number so it is not possible to tell.

I was even thinking of just buying the part and keeping it in the car... if it isn't too expensive... poor option considering I have the ESP.

Yet my dealer has acknowledged seeing the issue but they said it was not in substancial numbers to say it is anything to worry about....

I love the vehicle but not sure if I can depend on it.... specially on a long trip far from home...

Your thought process is the same as mine, as I'm also going on a long road trip soon and while I'm still a few thousand miles more before I hit 10K; I don't want to get stranded either.

Maybe we just buy the part for the trip and if it isn't required, just return it for a refund.

Well the dealer called and said my car is ready to pick up. One day turn around is good. I won't be able to get it until tomorrow morning now. They advised they replace the throttle body. I'm going to talk to the service manager when I pick it up and see how many others have been in for the same problem.

Well the dealer called and said my car is ready to pick up. One day turn around is good. I won't be able to get it until tomorrow morning now. They advised they replace the throttle body. I'm going to talk to the service manager when I pick it up and see how many others have been in for the same problem.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It appears that the lack of supply of the "new" throttle bodies has been resolved. When you check with the manager, ask him if it is a modified part?

Peter

Peter,

I can't get Ford to acknowledge a problem or that there is really an updated part.
Even my dealer says there is only one part number and no way to tell if it old stock or new stock or any redesigned part.

Can you shed some light on this, also if you have any insight into the other two questions I cannot get answers to...

Is there a specific engine, model or production time that is more prone to have the failing part? (Ford has to know)

Is there any idea of how widespread an issue it is?

Thanks for any info you can add,

Basefan

The only information I have available is what is posted in this thread. I would guess that there was something done to the throttle body since dealers initially were told it would take 3-4 weeks to get the part. I'm not surprised that the part number may not have changed. It also appears that the issue is more prevalent, if not, exclusive to the NA 3.5L V6 engine.

Peter

Thanks for the info.

I just wish Ford wouldn't leave us in the dark....

This is exactly what I have been able to determine.... mostly from the NA 3.5 but that may be because it is in more Explorers than the ecoboosts. Also, since it such a popular model, even a thousand failures is very minor issue but without real data we have no idea how big of a problem it is.

Beyond that we are only guessing...

I have heard two versions of the updated part:
1,The shortage of parts was due to waiting for an updated part.
2.They needed the parts for the production line because they started a third shift to keep up with demand.
(I found a news article about a 3rd shift to the Explorer line so I lean toward the second possibility)
Either way, if they say it is an updated part, they are acknowledging a problem so we will probably never know if the ETB was really updated. .

Very frustrating and not the best customer care to strand 100's of people and making many more feel the vehicles are not dependable for a $300 retail part....

Hello, 1st post here. My wife's 2016 Explorer XLT experienced the same condition yesterday. Loss of power, wrench icon. Luckily she was able to safely move out of traffic. Called roadside assistance and it was towed to the dealer. Today the service manager calls and says it's the throttle body. Parts on back order. He said 16,000 units were on back order. The car only has 10400 miles bought back in February. She uses the car in her daily business and of course no loaners are available. Very frustrating. And we are loyal Ford owners for many years and vehicles.

Same issue happened to me over the wkend on the way home. So I spent the day on the phone with dealership letting them know the issue with the vehicle and the problem. I was told the part was on back order up to 6 weeks. Well i told them i needed a vehicle since obviously i couldnt safely drive mine. Well of course none were available for loan and rental cars they offered were already loaned our to others due to same reason.hmmm. well before closing today they call back and say no cars were available, but somehow they managed to get the part in another town.. so im Post to have my suv in the shop first thing in the morning hopefullt to be fixed.

Hello I have a 2016 explorer I've had I'd 5 months it's got 10'000 miles on it currently it's in the shop getting a new throttle bodies the one it had was sticking making the car jump forward at stop lights and go into protection mode .dealership said this was the second 2016 explorer this week to be in for this mind you I'm with out a car for 4 weeks caus they can't get the part nor tell me that the new part is going to fix the problem permanently is anybody else having issues with there new explorer
Ours just had the Throttle Body fail @ 7200 miles.. part is on back order and Explorer is at the dealer sitting... They lent us a 2016 explorer which was nice but I fear this will happen to it too...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and since the part was replaced, I have had zero problems. (going on about 4K miles and 2 months of driving. We'll see how it holds up on my trip to florida in 3 weeks.

Thats good to know.. i just returned home from vacation in florida and then had the issue happen. Luckily it didnt happen then.

Back