Blower Control Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
Alright, this one has me stumped.

I've got a 2007 explorer limited with the dual automatic climate. Air works great, heat's even better. Only problem is the fan only works on high.

I've owned a couple of older cars and had to replace the resistor pack on those, I'm assuming this one uses something similar. However I'm not certain that is the issue. When I've got the climate control set to say, 75 degrees AC, and it reaches that temperature, the fan speed slows down to maintain. So the fan does change speed, but only in that circumstance.

Am I headed I'm the right direction with the resistor? They're about $90 as far as I've looked so I figured I'd ask.

Alright, this one has me stumped.

I've got a 2007 explorer limited with the dual automatic climate. Air works great, heat's even better. Only problem is the fan only works on high.

I've owned a couple of older cars and had to replace the resistor pack on those, I'm assuming this one uses something similar. However I'm not certain that is the issue. When I've got the climate control set to say, 75 degrees AC, and it reaches that temperature, the fan speed slows down to maintain. So the fan does change speed, but only in that circumstance.

Am I headed I'm the right direction with the resistor? They're about $90 as far as I've looked so I figured I'd ask.
When you use the thumb wheel on the left front of the hvac panel does the fan speed reduce? Manually controlling the speed may tell you if the resistors are working as they should. I have the same controls as yours and mine works the same way your's does. That is, as the interior temp reaches the setting, the fan speed reduces. If I want the fan speed to stay costant, I use the manual control..

When you use the thumb wheel on the left front of the hvac panel does the fan speed reduce? Manually controlling the speed may tell you if the resistors are working as they should. I have the same controls as yours and mine works the same way your's does. That is, as the interior temp reaches the setting, the fan speed reduces. If I want the fan speed to stay costant, I use the manual control..
Not quite. The thumb control works if I turn it all the way up (bypassing the resistive circuit I'm assuming) but will shut off if I adjust the fan speed down manually to any level other than maximum. However, when the automatic system reaches the temperature I've selected, the fan speed will reduce on its own.

Got it. Sounds like you're on the right track with your diagnosis.

Back