Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

It would also help to know what motor you have. 3.5 N/A or the 2.0L Ecoboost

^^ Livernois beat me to it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ninja-like reflexes!

Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!

Your product information states you offer 87, 89, 91 & 93 octane performance tunes. Does the customer get all 4 octane tunes or does the customer have only one choice and that's what they get? I assume Ford's power train warranty will be voided with any after-market tune.

Your product information states you offer 87, 89, 91 & 93 octane performance tunes. Does the customer get all 4 octane tunes or does the customer have only one choice and that's what they get? I assume Ford's power train warranty will be voided with any after-market tune.

It will only be void if Ford corp remotes into the PCM via the dealer and downloads certain files that will alert them. Dealers do not have access to this and unless you have a catastrophic failure, I would not be worried.

I'd be more worried about boosted vehicles and tunes that are extreme then a N/A tune.

We offer performance or tow centric tuning for all 4 octanes. That makes a total of 8, and your tuner can hold 4 of the 8 at any given time.

As for warranty, just be educated:

​​http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=warranty_consumer&g=semaga

It will only be void if Ford corp remotes into the PCM via the dealer and downloads certain files that will alert them. Dealers do not have access to this and unless you have a catastrophic failure, I would not be worried.

I'd be more worried about boosted vehicles and tunes that are extreme then a N/A tune.

None of our tuning is "extreme". If you polled all of the forums that we are on you will not find a tuning failure. We have a long and spotless record!

We offer performance or tow centric tuning for all 4 octanes. That makes a total of 8, and your tuner can hold 4 of the 8 at any given time.

None of our tuning is "extreme". If you polled all of the forums that we are on you will not find a tuning failure. We have a long and spotless record!

I realize this was in a Livernois thread but my comment was more a general statement and nothing against your products whatsoever. It was more of a "I wouldn't be concerned running a N/A tune".

Number of Tunes in the Tuner

I just purchased and received your tuner for my 3.5L N/A, and was told it can only hold two custom and the stock tune. Is this true?

I think that there might have been a miscommunication. Your tuner can hold 2 tunes total. One is your custom file from us. The other, is going to be your updated stock file. So your tuner can hold 2 tunes with one of them being your stock tune.

I think that there might have been a miscommunication. Your tuner can hold 2 tunes total. One is your custom file from us. The other, is going to be your updated stock file. So your tuner can hold 2 tunes with one of them being your stock tune.

Actually, my tuner was updated with two tunes available: 87 Performance and 93 Performance. I installed 87 Performance and I assume the stock tune was copied back to the tuner. If I decide to re-install the stock tune, will the 87 Performance then be copied back to the tuner for future use?

Ok, I know this is a somewhat old thread but, I just purchased the tuner for my N/A 3.5L and I'm wating for the tunes to show up of which I put in an outrageous request for more tunes than you can put on the dang thing:D. However, after learning how many custom tunes I could have installed, I chose another octane number that doesn't seem to be available (92) and will probably end up with the 91 tune as the highest tune as I chose the other one to be the 87 tune. That said, I wonder if there has been any updates in gains since the start of this thread. Not to be nit picky but, the video of the Ex on the dyno is a 2wd and so the original numbers are for that drive train. I'm wondering if a dyno has been done on a 4 wheel dyno for the 4wd model and if there is any differences in gains or if it's just a split in the original numbers? This question is for the N/A engine. :thumbsup:

Most of the Explorers that we tune are actually 4x4's. The gains are identical. Your overall power output is slightly lower, but the gains are going to be identical.

Any love coming for the Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost crowd?

Well, I got my tunes today and loaded the 93 tune into the Ex. I had some stuff to do today so, it was easy to test this new tune mode. I'm going to be short on my experience with 'aggressive driving' as I don't do this. I drive fairly normally. However, I did stomp on it a time or two and it was very impressive and a noticeable difference from stock. That's all I'll say about that.:thumbsup: Now, for what's important to me. Throttle response in normal driving impressed me the most with this tune. Throttle response in subtle tones though. In my view, this has made the Ex feel a little lighter in weight because of how the throttle responds in the varying degrees of normal driving experience. You don't have to push on the pedal as much for things to happen in normal driving. This may also have something to do with what the tranny is doing and how it is using the gears as well now. At any rate, pushing on the gas pedal before made the Ex feel heavy to me and now, noticeably, it just feels lighter. That part is more important to me than how fast it can get to 60 now but, even that part has it's importance as in the Ex being able to get out of it's own way.

Something else I was concerned about was being able to use a 93 tune with the 92 octane that's the only premium available around here and Livernois gave me a good and thorough explanation on why it's OK to use. Good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Any love coming for the Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost crowd?

At the moment we do not have any support for the unique engine and ECM combo in the 2.3L Explorer. We would need to have someone donate a vehicle to the cause.

Well, I got my tunes today and loaded the 93 tune into the Ex. I had some stuff to do today so, it was easy to test this new tune mode. I'm going to be short on my experience with 'aggressive driving' as I don't do this. I drive fairly normally. However, I did stomp on it a time or two and it was very impressive and a noticeable difference from stock. That's all I'll say about that.:thumbsup: Now, for what's important to me. Throttle response in normal driving impressed me the most with this tune. Throttle response in subtle tones though. In my view, this has made the Ex feel a little lighter in weight because of how the throttle responds in the varying degrees of normal driving experience. You don't have to push on the pedal as much for things to happen in normal driving. This may also have something to do with what the tranny is doing and how it is using the gears as well now. At any rate, pushing on the gas pedal before made the Ex feel heavy to me and now, noticeably, it just feels lighter. That part is more important to me than how fast it can get to 60 now but, even that part has it's importance as in the Ex being able to get out of it's own way... :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts on what our tuning did for your vehicle! We appreciate you sharing!

I'd be willing to be the mule on the 2.3. I live in the Chicago suburbs. How long would you need the car for? a day?

Dan

I ordered my tuner from Livernois on Monday after researching, debating and reading tons of forums and reviews. I spoke with Anthony there and he literally spent more than a half hour answering all of my rookie questions with detailed explanations and options. I decided to go with a Livernois tuner, 3 bar map sensor and thermostat. By Tuesday I had the box, loaded the tunes to my computer and to the tuner itself and on my truck. Unbelievable is all I can say. I installed a K&N cold air intake the week before and didn't notice any difference....I also have larger BFG All Terrains and the Traxda 2" lift. I started with a 92 tune with the stock 2 bar sensor.. and was ridiculously impressed (shocked when I stomped my foot to the floor). I just installed the 3 bar (about 5 minutes if I include the time it took to watch the video) and am once again amazed at the power and speed of this all wheel drive truck. I traded in a Cayenne Turbo for this vehicle and was pleased with its comfort the day I got her....Now I can't get over the fact that it's quicker than the Porsche.

I also cannot say enough about the customer service at Livernois. Ask away!! They make it easy and explain the ins and outs to make everything make sense!! Fast shipping, fast replies...I would not go anywhere else!

I ordered my tuner from Livernois on Monday after researching, debating and reading tons of forums and reviews. I spoke with Anthony there and he literally spent more than a half hour answering all of my rookie questions with detailed explanations and options. I decided to go with a Livernois tuner, 3 bar map sensor and thermostat. By Tuesday I had the box, loaded the tunes to my computer and to the tuner itself and on my truck. Unbelievable is all I can say. I installed a K&N cold air intake the week before and didn't notice any difference....I also have larger BFG All Terrains and the Traxda 2" lift. I started with a 92 tune with the stock 2 bar sensor.. and was ridiculously impressed (shocked when I stomped my foot to the floor). I just installed the 3 bar (about 5 minutes if I include the time it took to watch the video) and am once again amazed at the power and speed of this all wheel drive truck. I traded in a Cayenne Turbo for this vehicle and was pleased with its comfort the day I got her....Now I can't get over the fact that it's quicker than the Porsche.

I also cannot say enough about the customer service at Livernois. Ask away!! They make it easy and explain the ins and outs to make everything make sense!! Fast shipping, fast replies...I would not go anywhere else!
Thanks for this! I've done a ton of things in the past to vehicles (had a 2000 S-10 Extreme where we shaved door handles, tailgate handle, custom paint job, etc) but had never done any tuning or whatnot outside of a K&N CAI. So when I was reading through this (and other) threads I was super excited, but also a bit hesitant because I was afraid a lot of questions would make me sound like a complete noob. :) Then I figured it wouldn't matter because the wife would never go for it. But when I mentioned it to her last night she was way more receptive to the idea than I had figured...probably has to do with the potential for 2-3mpg increase (not guaranteed) in mileage. Then the worry about sounding like a noob came back. :)

Anyway, I'm sure she'll have questions for me to ask that I'd never think to ask myself, so it's good to hear that they're more than willing to be patient with those who have never used a tuner before.

EDIT: I was so excited about the 'them being receptive to questions' part that I neglected to congratulate you on your performance gains. Congrats! Looking forward to having them myself soon. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We truly appreciate all of the compliments. The return you get from when you tweak a few lines of coding is amazing! I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Cayenne, but the XSport will definitely more than handle its own.

Thanks for this! I've done a ton of things in the past to vehicles (had a 2000 S-10 Extreme where we shaved door handles, tailgate handle, custom paint job, etc) but had never done any tuning or whatnot outside of a K&N CAI. So when I was reading through this (and other) threads I was super excited, but also a bit hesitant because I was afraid a lot of questions would make me sound like a complete noob. :) Then I figured it wouldn't matter because the wife would never go for it. But when I mentioned it to her last night she was way more receptive to the idea than I had figured...probably has to do with the potential for 2-3mpg increase (not guaranteed) in mileage. Then the worry about sounding like a noob came back. :)

Anyway, I'm sure she'll have questions for me to ask that I'd never think to ask myself, so it's good to hear that they're more than willing to be patient with those who have never used a tuner before.

EDIT: I was so excited about the 'them being receptive to questions' part that I neglected to congratulate you on your performance gains. Congrats! Looking forward to having them myself soon. :)

We will answer whatever questions that you have! Tuning is extremely easy! Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a tuner or chip for the 2016 non-turbo (non-Sport) V-6? If so, which one do you recommend? What type of horsepower and MPG increases are you seeing?

Back