Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer

Thanks. I don't really have any complaints about mine. Never really paid much mind to it. I haven't noticed any drone....

I wonder if it has anything to do with it being the N/A versus the ecoboost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have good luck with the aFe air filter as well. Dry re-useable synthetic and available at Amazon... 31-10215 or the like...

I have good luck with the aFe air filter as well. Dry re-useable synthetic and available at Amazon... 31-10215 or the like...
Ditto AFE Pro Dry-S. Phenomenal build quality. Not cheap though, more expensive than the excellent AEM DryFlow panel.

Since this is about air intakes, I would like to share my 2 cents. I installed the K&N CAI to get better gas mileage and sound. Turns out it doesn't help at all with gas mileage, in fact I think it went down. It does however sound pretty good under WOT. But not worth it. I would not recommend it and I'm going back to stock when I get a chance.

Anyone just using a drop-in K&N with real world experience with it?

every other car I've owned I've put a K&N drop in filter - and they all started getting better MPG, and having cleaner oil within 2 tank fulls of fuel. you will have to let the computer sort of re-calibrate.

this has been GM's, 1 Ford, and 2 chryslers. in one case I made my own CAI setup using a K and N cone filter but that was for something a touch more extreme.

On the Focus I used to have - that filter was already large and round - that's the only car I didn't trade the filter for a K&N. it was rather massive.

Looking at my 2016 explorer I'm thinking a K&N would do some good, but I also think it might need some minor work on the hose and inlet too

Don't bother with an aftermarket filter. All you're doing is letting in more dust unless you have a highly modified engine. Just change the factory filter every 36k miles or so and you'll be fine. I don't think I'd ever run a K&N unless it was the only option. See link below for some controlled lab test results.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Do not buy the INJEN Cold Air Intake, its a POS.

Doesn't do what its advertised to do and when several of us tried to return it they wouldn't take it back.

As was suggested above, stay OEM

Solid advice! Ford's design is a pretty darn good one to begin with. If you're looking for more power OP the look for a custom Tune/Programmer to give you a little more output in regards to shift times, power, etc...

SGT, I'm sorry you and others had to deal with INJEN CAI crap. What a bum company...

Solid advice! Ford's design is a pretty darn good one to begin with. If you're looking for more power OP the look for a custom Tune/Programmer to give you a little more output in regards to shift times, power, etc...

SGT, I'm sorry you and others had to deal with INJEN CAI crap. What a bum company...

I was more pissed that even the BBB didn't do much to stop them from selling products that honestly do not do anything close to what they claim.

Part of me was also red faced that I didnt listen to the Ford engineer who clearly told me not to waste my money.

Don't bother with an aftermarket filter. All you're doing is letting in more dust unless you have a highly modified engine. Just change the factory filter every 36k miles or so and you'll be fine. I don't think I'd ever run a K&N unless it was the only option. See link below for some controlled lab test results.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Interesting read - some inconsistencies and complete misunderstands about effects on the engine - but interesting testing. but give me a day or 2 of reading and I'll put more detail in.

I would say though - per this discussion - not all CAI devices work worth a damn, not all filters will work well. However the OEM's design is not about power - depending on the application and requirements.

Hi, just want a quick advise on K&N filter on our EX. Do you think it’s worth the time and money to change the stock paper filter to K&N filter drop in?

Your point of view / advise will for sure appreciated. thanks

If you like the sound maybe but it will not improve MPG and K & N filters do not filter as well as a conventional filter. A standard air filter will last 50,000 miles unless you operate in extremely dusty conditions. Consumer Reports said that changing air filters frequently is a waste of money.

Some magazine did a test on filters and, if I recall correctly, the K&N washable filter was borderline false advertising. They found filtration was easily messed up with too much/not enough filter oil and the consequences of getting it wrong were more contaminates getting into the engine. Definitely not worth the risk for a "possible" minuscule H.P. gain in an SUV.

Hi, just want a quick advise on K&N filter on our EX. Do you think it’s worth the time and money to change the stock paper filter to K&N filter drop in?

Your point of view / advise will for sure appreciated. thanks
Merged your thread with this one. There are several posts here that refer to the filter you ae asking about. From a quick read, it seems you are better off staying OEM.

Peter

Merged your thread with this one. There are several posts here that refer to the filter you ae asking about. From a quick read, it seems you are better off staying OEM.

Peter
thanks, peter. i would probably stick with the stock drop-in paper filter for now ;)

Are there any drop in filters? I put an AFE in my 2016 Fusion and really liked it, could feel a slight seat of pants pick up and hear the turbos better. I think the stock air box is pretty good, just needs a better filter.

Are there any drop in filters? I put an AFE in my 2016 Fusion and really liked it, could feel a slight seat of pants pick up and hear the turbos better. I think the stock air box is pretty good, just needs a better filter.
Welcome to the Forum Gerald.:wave:
Your post has been moved to this thread. The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing threads on various topics.
I would say that the OEM is one of the better filters according to many reports.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back