minor qs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

minor qs

The idling should be opposite of that. Should be high on a cold start and slowly lower after 10 seconds or so. On warm starts, it will rev up slightly and come back down quick. First thing I'd check is a test on the Coolant Temp sensors. They're under the throttle body. I think the double-wire one is for the PCM, single-wire is for the gauge.
That doesnt sound too hard. I just backprobe the two wire sensor with the engine off? What should the voltage be? Sorry for asking, but electrical stuff is something i haven't done yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much yea. You can backprobe with the key on to see voltage but I prefer to unplug the sensor and test for ohms across the pins. Do it on a cold and warm engine. It should look like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/ECT Chart.gif

ECT Chart.gif

My 2 cents worth:

As to the headlight switch, after 25 years bonding with my '91 and my wife, my hand knows exactly where to go.

The seats: two hundred and umpty-ump miles, yep, your seats must be shaped like your backdoor.
I removed mine and took them to a re upholsterer. There are no springs but steel bands under the foam.
He replaced my bands and foam and they are comfortable again.

And do whatever Nate says (unless it's unnatural) ;-)

I agree with nate. He knows explorers inside and out.

I replaced the coolant sensor a few days ago, but my engine still revs high after parking. Any ideas? I also found a bit of red fluid in the line from the throttle body to the canister solenoid. Is that a bad sign?

I agree with nate. He knows explorers inside and out.

I replaced the coolant sensor a few days ago, but my engine still revs high after parking. Any ideas? I also found a bit of red fluid in the line from the throttle body to the canister solenoid. Is that a bad sign?

One other thing to think about is that it seems more and more from reports I see and my own experience that the tachometers in the first gens are getting inaccurate with age. Sometimes right, sometimes way off. What I would say is you can double-check with your own tachometer or just ignore it if it's not causing issue. It would only be bad if you're revving up to 3,000 RPM or jerking into/out of gears.

I can check, but I'm not sure if its the teach cuz the engine actually revs higher. The sound is unmistakable. I'm guessing its not hurting the engine, just the gas mileage. I have clocked my mileage at 14 mpg. I'm always in the city, almost never on the highway. If anyone knows a way to get the mileage to 20, I'd love to try it.

Back