2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Part# AT4Z*9E926*B
I also inquired with a local Ford dealership and one further away outside of the city and confirmed it's the same part#.
None are aware of any "new" part and there are some in stock.

This is exactly the info I got from my dealer and from FMC...

But I am always open to new information and blwnsmoke seems to be sure there is a new part number so let's give him a chance to post it and this will help all of us get this resolved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But I am always open to new information and blwnsmoke seems to be sure there is a new part number so let's give him a chance to post it and this will help all of us get this resolved.

This issue may be more convoluted becuase I just got a call back from the Ford dealership to advise me that my Sport (EB model) has a different ETB part# AA5Z*9E926*A, which is not in stock.

The reason why I'm calling in was to pick one up as a spare, as I'm going on a long road trip this weekend and god forbids, my ETB fails and I can't access a Ford dealership right away.

I was under the impression that there was a new part number based on discussions in this thread but it seems that I was misunderstanding of some of the replies. I went back and reread through this whole thread again and there were comments about a new one but there are no specifics so I will leave it as I misunderstood that this point.

I will say that typically part numbers end in an 'A' and then revisions will go to a 'B' then a 'C' maintaining the same main part number.

As 613GT500 showed..

N/A is AT4Z*9E926*B - As if there was a newer/updated part
Eco is "AA5Z*9E926*A

I will still go with I misunderstood this thread and thought someone posted concrete evidence of an updated part.

This issue may be more convoluted becuase I just got a call back from the Ford dealership to advise me that my Sport (EB model) has a different ETB part# AA5Z*9E926*A, which is not in stock.

The reason why I'm calling in was to pick one up as a spare, as I'm going on a long road trip this weekend and god forbids, my ETB fails and I can't access a Ford dealership right away.

not sure what your dealer charges but here they are almost half the price of retail.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/aa5z9e926a

not sure what your dealer charges but here they are almost half the price of retail.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/aa5z9e926a

Those are prices that I dream of.
Off the top of my head it was about CAD $500 taxes in.
Going to call around a few more dealerships and see if I can grab one (30days for a full refund, provided it's not been installed) and no re-stocking fee if it's in stock and doesn't have to be brought in.

613GT500, you may want to think about this before buying the part.

The issue seems to be mainly in the N/A engine, not the Ecoboost... (I thought you had the N/A)
I can't tell you what to do, but if I had an Ecoboost, I don't think I would worry about it...

Reread this posting and you will see, it is mainly an issue for the N/A engines.

blwnsmoke, I agree with you about the revision letters (A,B,C...) but I have been told, they also change these when they change suppliers and according to other postings here (Can't find them right now) we heard they changed suppliers. So this leaves the issue up in the air of whether they actually changed the unit or if they just changed suppliers and units from the new supplier may just be too new to know if they have the same issue.

The shame of this is that FMC who has handled the repairs (All of these repairs would be under even the most basic warranty) and they know exactly which engines, which production dates, which part lots, etc... It would go a long way to share this data. And of course the big question... did you redesign the part?

My issue is that obviously they know that the problem is there. They aren't doing a favor or being proactive by fixing my truck, they are only doing what they are legally obligated to do while my car is under warranty. I live in the congested North East where everybody tail gates. If I'm going at my average 65-80mph and all of a sudden my truck drops to 10mph that Tahoe 5' behind my bumper is probably going thru me since I won't be activating my brake lights.

Does anyone know if the new TB were installed on 2016 Explorers manufactured after April 1?[ as mine was manufactured in late April.] I am not looking forward to a sudden drop in power whilst cruising on a crowded highway with kids in the back...

Does anyone know if the new TB were installed on 2016 Explorers manufactured after April 1?[ as mine was manufactured in late April.] I am not looking forward to a sudden drop in power whilst cruising on a crowded highway with kids in the back...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure if Ford would have released that information publically if they did. Perhaps their dealerships may have been informed if indeed there was a change.
One can only hope.

Peter

This seemed to die down a bit but since it kicked back up... I checked the car complaints site and the complaints seemed to have slowed and a strange trend seems to have happened... just an observation....

The failures seem to hit vehicles sold/manufactured about 11/2015 to 1/2016. It seems that they had a change in manufacturers in the TB about that time and the part number went from an A to B. Also the part supply became very limited...

Maybe the A parts were fine, and the problem was in the first batch of B parts. If Ford rejected/returned some of the first batch that would cause a shortage in replacement parts. The next batch may have not had the issue and they are now fine. So if you had an early A part you are fine but just some of the early B parts are bad.

I have a Sept 2015 made Explorer so I assume I have the A part and was considering just paying to get the part the replaced to a B and was presented with this theory and that I may be paying to go from a good part to a possibly good/bad part. I am now not sure what to do.

Not to keep harping on it but, Ford has records of all the repairs under warranty, so they know the manufacturer and batch info from every failed TB but they don't seem to be willing to share the info to calm concerns...

I wouldn't want you all you Ford Explorer buyers to feel alone, the same throttle body issue is happening on the Ford Fusions as well. Purchased my Fusion Nov. 2016, a little over 12K miles and my throttle body goes out. Luckily they have mine in stock, service rep said the throttle body's for the smaller 4 cyl engines is backordered. Also with my ESP I got a free rental, that was a nice surprise. I went through this same crap with my daughters 2010 Ford escape, we had to pay to get it fixed and then the unofficial recall came out almost a year later and we got refunded our money. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

I wouldn't want you all you Ford Explorer buyers to feel alone, the same throttle body issue is happening on the Ford Fusions as well. Purchased my Fusion Nov. 2016, a little over 12K miles and my throttle body goes out. Luckily they have mine in stock, service rep said the throttle body's for the smaller 4 cyl engines is backordered. Also with my ESP I got a free rental, that was a nice surprise. I went through this same crap with my daughters 2010 Ford escape, we had to pay to get it fixed and then the unofficial recall came out almost a year later and we got refunded our money. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”
Welcome to the Forum :wave: Thanks for sharing that info.

Hi all- I too have had my 2016 Explorer XLT's throttle body fail on me. It happened July 9th, (a Saturday...thank God! Luckily this didn't happen on a busy Los Angeles Freeway which I travel every day of the week). I was driving on a local street at 50 MPH, when the Explorer, shimmied, wrench light came on and it crapped out. Limped home, called a tow truck and had it towed to the local dealership. It had only 8,400 miles on it at the time, and I leased it in August 2015. Service advisor told me, based on the "symptoms" I gave him, that it was the ETB. He told me that they've had A LOT of 2016's come in to that dealership alone with the same problem. He knew what the issue was right away. Luckily, they replaced the ETB that day. I'm not sure that it was a replacement/new version. HMMM. I'm going to the dealership again this Saturday, due to all of my USB ports/power ports not working for about 3 weeks now. ALSO, about 2 weeks ago, I went to start the thing up and I got the "Blindspot system fault" and "cross traffic system" fault. Ok, I'm a gal. I don't really know anything about vehicles... I leave that up to the mechanics. DO I have a big 'ol lemon on my hands? What should I tell them to look at when I bring it in Saturday? I gave up a 10 year old, perfectly working 4-runner for the Explorer. Help!

RJV: I had heard that Ford had the same issue with other models and there is even issues by other manufacturers. There seems to be a issue with a lot of the "drive by wire" cars to some degree.

SB:I wouldn't consider it big 'ol lemon as long as they are dealing with the issues. You never know with a car. Friends with a Rav4 had to put a quart of oil in every other day an ultimately had to have the engine rebuilt. Even though it was covered by Toyota, it took about a month for the dealer to get all the parts and then it was in the shop for almost three weeks. You never know.... As far as your latest issues, just make them fix it under warranty. They are for advanced features which make the vehicle more complex then any 10 year old vehicle. I would make the dealer fix every item that goes wrong but the issues that strand you are the ones that worry me the most....

Well if this happened to a car delivered in August 2015, then it was definitely an A part...
Now the issue is we won't know if the B part is better or worse until the B parts get about 8-12K miles on them...

Again, I am at a loss on whether it would be worth replacing a working A part for a B part.....

Hi All,

New to the forum. In fact I just found it due to this issue. My ETB failed yesterday on my way home from work. A quick google search led me to these posts along with a number of other websites so I knew what the issue was right away. Not very happy that I need a part replaced after just buying this car in November and have only put on less than 8k miles. I am hoping that this is not a sign of things to come because otherwise I LOVE this car!

The good news is that I was able to restart the car to clear the ETB and was able to drive it to the dealer. They must have a lot of these come in because they had the replacement part ready and I was able to drive my Explorer home about 2 hours later.

I am a little peeved at Ford that they aren't taking this issue more seriously. If I were on the highway with my wife and kid in the car and suddenly lost the ability to accelerate, this situation could have been much worse. I think they should be notifying owners with the defective parts so that they could be replaced before they fail.

Hi All,

New to the forum. In fact I just found it due to this issue. My ETB failed yesterday on my way home from work. A quick google search led me to these posts along with a number of other websites so I knew what the issue was right away. Not very happy that I need a part replaced after just buying this car in November and have only put on less than 8k miles. I am hoping that this is not a sign of things to come because otherwise I LOVE this car!

The good news is that I was able to restart the car to clear the ETB and was able to drive it to the dealer. They must have a lot of these come in because they had the replacement part ready and I was able to drive my Explorer home about 2 hours later.

I am a little peeved at Ford that they aren't taking this issue more seriously. If I were on the highway with my wife and kid in the car and suddenly lost the ability to accelerate, this situation could have been much worse. I think they should be notifying owners with the defective parts so that they could be replaced before they fail.

I don't think they are 100% certain on which ETBs are exactly defective.
As suggested, folks should keep reporting this issue to NHTSA and hopefully theres enough complaints to warrant a recall.

Hi All,

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Glad to hear everything went well in the end.

Peter

Has anyone seen or have work done to fix Recall 16B32 "ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY REPAIR"? Can't find anything online about it but it appeared in my Vehicle Health Report about a week ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Confirmed in OASIS, customer notification this week.

For 2016 Explorers, PCM reflash. For Utilities, a new throttle body.

Back