Oil Change interval | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I just go by the little windshield sticker the ford dealer sticks on my window: Next oil change (5 months, or 5,000 miles)
I'm just a simple guy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just go by the little windshield sticker the ford dealer sticks on my window: Next oil change (5 months, or 5,000 miles)
I'm just a simple guy.
If I went by the mileage they put on that sticker I'd be changing mine about once every 2 years.:D

Peter

I'm just a simple guy.
That's what the majority of drivers do and the dealerships loves it, because you're 1 month and about 2500 miles early; according to the manual.

To actually determine when the oil should be changed you need to take a sample of the oil and send it to a lab to get it analized. They will then send you a report back telling you what they found in the oil and if you can extend your oil changes.

There are a number of labs out there that will do this but I have used Blackstone Labs for my Ford diesel truck for years. They will send you a free sample kit and instructions on how to take the sample. Then all you need to do is to go down to the post office and send it off. In a couple of day to a week later they will send you a email on your results.

To actually determine when the oil should be changed you need to take a sample of the oil and send it to a lab to get it analized. They will then send you a report back telling you what they found in the oil and if you can extend your oil changes.

There are a number of labs out there that will do this but I have used Blackstone Labs for my Ford diesel truck for years. They will send you a free sample kit and instructions on how to take the sample. Then all you need to do is to go down to the post office and send it off. In a couple of day to a week later they will send you a email on your results.

I would only follow their recommendation after warranty, as Ford will not recognize or accept their suggested intervals.

Right now I'm at 6,600 miles and showing 38% remaining oil life on the IOLM. Policy on our leased vehicles is 8,000. So I should be good. I'll see what the monitor shows when i get the oil changed, but probably will show 25% remaining. And it will be 6 months for me to get to 8,000 miles.

I would only follow their recommendation after warranty, as Ford will not recognize or accept their suggested intervals.

I wasn't saying to exceed what Ford recommends or what the computer is telling you to do, but to only let those that change their oil at 3000 or 5000 mile intervals. Even the computer is only giving you a base on oil life considering if you are running the factory recommended oil.

Myself I'll be changing oil once a year or perhaps a little sooner depending on how much I drive, but I will send in a sample just to see how the engine is wearing. It is for my piece of mind. Now if I see excessive wear I know that Ford will not accept the data that I have and will want to wait until a failure but at least I will know what to watch out for.

I used a Blackstone test (with TBN) to confirm what the OLM was showing after the 2nd oil change. 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter had plenty of additive left, with no abnormal readings and was within warranty specs. I'm over 80K miles on 10K oil changes.

I used a Blackstone test (with TBN) to confirm what the OLM was showing after the 2nd oil change. 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter had plenty of additive left, with no abnormal readings and was within warranty specs. I'm over 80K miles on 10K oil changes.

Thanks for sharing your results.
While it is within Ford's recommended OCI, my only caution would be to not go beyond what is recommended; even if results from testing shows lots of life remaining in the oil.

I change my 2012 @ 5000 mi. I had a Honda Odyssey previously for 8 yrs & changed @ 5K mi and sold it w/130K mi and the engine was still running like new. Never used synthetics on the Honda, but now the Explorer uses blended synthetic oil.

did you change the oil your self or take it to the dealer. If so what oil did you use? Honda like Ford uses 5w20 spec oil for their engines and due to the other needs there isn't a conventional oil out there that will be those specifications without being blended or full synethetic. marketing terms not withstanding.

Right now I'm at 6,600 miles and showing 38% remaining oil life on the IOLM. Policy on our leased vehicles is 8,000. So I should be good. I'll see what the monitor shows when i get the oil changed, but probably will show 25% remaining. And it will be 6 months for me to get to 8,000 miles.

I just checked today after a 450 mile trip. Mileage is 7065. IOLM shows 33% remaining. If you do the math that should get me to 10,705 miles. This has been increasing over the life of the vehicle so far, so maybe it is correct. I'll be having it changed at 8,000.

To follow up on this, I had the oil changed at 7550 miles and the IOLM showed 28% remaining oil life.

Do you follow the recommended oil change schedule by Ford and/or wait for the indicator light to come on, or are you more aggressive? I've always believed that the best way to ensure a long lasting engine is to do the oil changes more frequently than recommended, maybe even twice as often. I realize that many might say it's not necessary to do it that often, but it's such an inexpensive maintenance task that I've always figured why not?

We just got a new 2017 XLT and we plan/hope to keep it a long time. We got the 3 year maintenance package, and I'm sure they only do oil changes when the indicator light comes on or at the least frequent number of times they think it's needed. So I guess I'll be doing it myself in between each of the 'recommended' times.

Does anyone know exactly what oil (brand & viscosity) Ford uses from the factory and at dealerships on the newer Explorers? Should I stick with that or are there better alternatives?

So many oil change threads, please use the search function using "oil change".

If you bought the maintenance package then the paperwork (contract) shows you what Ford covers. It is either 5,000 mile or 7,500 mile intervals.

You most likely also paid way too much for it. I can get you that plan for $100 over cost if you decide to cancel it through your dealer.

All the other questions have been answered dozens of times.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Ex.

So many oil change threads, please use the search function using "oil change".

If you bought the maintenance package then the paperwork (contract) shows you what Ford covers. It is either 5,000 mile or 7,500 mile intervals.

You most likely also paid way too much for it. I can get you that plan for $100 over cost if you decide to cancel it through your dealer.

All the other questions have been answered dozens of times.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Ex.

Thanks blwnsmoke!

I will do a more thorough search next time. There were so many posts I couldn't seem to easily find specifically what I was looking for, but I will try harder :)

As for the cost, it was a wash. After we had negotiated the price as far down as we could go, they screwed up on something BIG TIME. I was sitting at the finance desk signing all the paperwork when I found out the screw up and I walked out of the dealer on my way to purchase another one elsewhere. I received a call from the GM asking me to come back and that they'd throw in the maintenance package for my inconvenience. I realize that obviously it was figured into the cost of the car, but it was 'free' as far as I was concerned. I didn't want it nor ask for it, and I was happy with the purchase price of the vehicle, so it was just a bonus as far as I was concerned.

Personally, I plan to stick with the IOLM (indicator) as I've done UOAs (used oil analysis) on my previous Ford vehicles and the indicator is pretty accurate as to oil life. The exception is the first oil fill, I'll change that a bit earlier because of all the crap that washes out from the manufacturing process.

If you do it sooner than that, more power to you. It won't hurt. Me personally, I wouldn't do it any earlier than 5k no matter what the oil is. 7500 is probably a good peace of mind number after that. Do not exceed 10k, not that the indicator should allow it anyway.

Thanks blwnsmoke!

I will do a more thorough search next time. There were so many posts I couldn't seem to easily find specifically what I was looking for, but I will try harder :)

As for the cost, it was a wash. After we had negotiated the price as far down as we could go, they screwed up on something BIG TIME. I was sitting at the finance desk signing all the paperwork when I found out the screw up and I walked out of the dealer on my way to purchase another one elsewhere. I received a call from the GM asking me to come back and that they'd throw in the maintenance package for my inconvenience. I realize that obviously it was figured into the cost of the car, but it was 'free' as far as I was concerned. I didn't want it nor ask for it, and I was happy with the purchase price of the vehicle, so it was just a bonus as far as I was concerned.

Then you are golden and it worked out in your favor. Just be sure to look at the maintenance contract for the terms.

Here is a chart on the intervals, make sure you look at the Ford paperwork on it. The numbers in the chart are how many visits (oil changes) based on term and mile interval chosen

Screenshot_20160819-093154_zpsd8znx7iy.png

Do you follow the recommended oil change schedule by Ford and/or wait for the indicator light to come on, or are you more aggressive? I've always believed that the best way to ensure a long lasting engine is to do the oil changes more frequently than recommended, maybe even twice as often. I realize that many might say it's not necessary to do it that often, but it's such an inexpensive maintenance task that I've always figured why not?

We just got a new 2017 XLT and we plan/hope to keep it a long time. We got the 3 year maintenance package, and I'm sure they only do oil changes when the indicator light comes on or at the least frequent number of times they think it's needed. So I guess I'll be doing it myself in between each of the 'recommended' times.

Does anyone know exactly what oil (brand & viscosity) Ford uses from the factory and at dealerships on the newer Explorers? Should I stick with that or are there better alternatives?
Your thread has been merged with this existing one. As blwnsmoke mentioned there are many threads that discuss various oils etc. that can be found using the 'Search' feature. Seeing as the 5th gen is now 7 years old, there aren't too many subjects that haven't already been discussed.

Peter

Hi, I recently just bought a brand new 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the maintenance plan. I currently reached 2,000 Miles and I called back the dealership asking when is my first oil change. The salesman said 3,500 mile interval while the finance director called the service guys and said 7,500 miles. I then added to them, there isn't an engine break in period? They said no. From what I was told, a turbo charged engine needs to have it's oil changed every 3,500 to 4,500 miles with full synthetic motor oil or you risk the chance of blowing up your turbo. I know some Mini Cooper S owners that change their oil every 3,000 miles so the turbo doesn't go out. I was also told that I should have done an initial oil change at 1,000 Miles and now I am over the limit and should change it ASAP. I feel 1,000 miles is a little bit too early, I don't drive the crap out of my explorer, I just drive it like a normal person would so no racing or WOT. Technically, I would just change the oil myself but since I bought the extended service protection plan, they offered to do preventative maintenance for me for 8 years or 100,000 miles. I'm just wondering if they follow the service intervals on the book or do they just change it when I bring it in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On these new vehicles you change it when the reminder pops up on your screen. And if you plan on the dealer doing it on your service plan then you just wait. If you want to foot the bill by yourself to change the oil then you can change it at anytime you want to.

The old theory of changing the oil in 1,000 miles on a new engine is out the window anymore. But if it makes you feel better then go ahead and change it but you will be paying for it yourself.

Back