Harmonic Balancer Bolt removal thread? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer Bolt removal thread?

ACCAT800

Reaction score
I have an 04 4.0 and need to pul the harmonic balancer. Non of the bolts I have will thread into the balancer. Anyone know what thread/pitch bolts I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2004&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

Click "view image" and it will take you to a diagram of the drive belt for the 4.0 will all the parts.

The bolt that you need is labeled HB1.

I usually just buy the bolts from Ford if they are cheap enough, or I'll google the same size bolt and buy from somewhere else.

Or are you talking about how to pull the harmonic balancer? I'm not sure I'm understanding your question

No I know how to pull the balancer. I am just looking to go to the hardware store and get some b olts to use with the puller.

Did you figure out the bolt size?

According to fordparts.com the bolt is M12 x 72MM

The bolt straight from Ford though is $33

According to fordparts.com the bolt is M12 x 72MM

The bolt straight from Ford though is $33

Thats the bolt that goes into the crank and holds the balancer on.

The OP was asking what size bolt to use with the puller. The ones that thread into the crank pulley.

In case anyone cares... You can just borrow 2 of the A/C compressor mounting bolts.

I tried it on my 04 Explorer 4.0 V6 it does'nt fit.

I believe Ford uses 8x1.25. They did on my '04 4.6l as well as my '94 4.0l.

Chase the threads with a tap first. Lube the tap with engine oil.

You'll have a hard time getting enough bolt threads in without chasing the threads first.

On my '02 4.0, only 2 of the 4 holes are threaded. If you hit one of the other two, you may think you have the wrong size bolt.

I just pulled mine. I used 8mmx1.25 90mm. Keep in mind you need a longer balancer bolt to push against. The washer inside the pulley is part of the balancer. Thats the M12 x 1.50 (take you old bolt to verify) but I just hit the local true value and got everything I needed for just $7.. As your pushing against the longer bolt, you will need to stop mid way and unscrew the center bolt half way so the puller can continue to have something to push against. Kinda like the "pushing a length of chain" idea. You are using the puller to push against the center bolt to pull the two outside bolts.

"I used 8mmx1.25 90mm. "

FWIW, the metric bolt system is slightly different from the English in that we call out the thread pitch in number of threads per inch, like, 1/2"-20, the 20 meaning 20 threads per inch.

Metrics call out the distance between threads, so M8 X 1.25 means 8mm in diameter and 1.25mm between threads. If we did our usual English threads that way, the 1/2-20 would be 1/2- .05, .05 being 1/20 of an inch.

The 90mm at top refers to the bolt length, that's abit over 3 inches long, pretty long for an 8mm diameter (about 5/16 inch) bolt. Hope this helps some. imp

I can't find a long tap to chase the thread what Number4 has suggested. So I used the extra bolt from the universal puller w/c is short anyway and forced it in to clear the thread from rust and dirt. When I installed the puller with the 8mmx1.25x90 bolts that I bought separately and whallah! it works.

I can't find a long tap to chase the thread what Number4 has suggested. So I used the extra bolt from the universal puller w/c is short anyway and forced it in to clear the thread from rust and dirt. When I installed the puller with the 8mmx1.25x90 bolts that I bought separately and whallah! it works.
Yeah mine were pretty boggered up too....

I just pulled mine. I used 8mmx1.25 90mm. Keep in mind you need a longer balancer bolt to push against. The washer inside the pulley is part of the balancer. Thats the M12 x 1.50 (take you old bolt to verify) but I just hit the local true value and got everything I needed for just $7.. As your pushing against the longer bolt, you will need to stop mid way and unscrew the center bolt half way so the puller can continue to have something to push against. Kinda like the "pushing a length of chain" idea. You are using the puller to push against the center bolt to pull the two outside bolts.

Dude, thanks so much for this, very helpful! Trying to get my pulley as well. Got the 8mm x 1.25 x 90 from my local John Deere store, worked great... I was able to use my regular center bolt worked well.

Thanks great info!

Back