Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

Just had the Magnaflow cat back #19273 installed on my new 2017 Explorer Sport. No problems with the install. OEM valance is in place. Need to get some miles on it see what the end result will be for sound wise, but so far the wife is happy.....and that is all that matters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just had the Magnaflow cat back #19273 installed on my new 2017 Explorer Sport. No problems with the install. OEM valiance is in place. Need to get some miles on it see what the end result will be for sound wise, but so far the wife is happy.....and that is all that matters.
Time to update your profile and signature.;)

Peter

Hi all. Im posting this here although my concern is specifically geared towards 2016 sport 3.5EB LMS tuned with CAI.

I have already removed the reasonator from my exhaust in my search for a little more growl without adding an unreasonable amount of highway drone. While it did increase off idle sound a small amount, I find myself looking for a little bit more. When the exhaust shop removed the reasonator I took a look into the device in front of it. It appeared to be another cat. I still have the two mufflers in the rear and plan to replace them with a larger diameter muffler while keeping the stock decorative tips.

Some of the very expensive full systems I have looked at have larger downpipes with higher flow cats and appeared to have no second cat or reasonator, just mufflers at the rear.

Any and all recommendations, advice and information is greatly appreciated.

T

Hi T,

Did you have a question specifically about our tune and CAI, or is this question specific to the exhaust questions that you posted? I will help you whatever way possible, but I want to make sure that I understand your question(s).

Wow! Edited by mod for mentioning cats? They aren't required in my state, so sorry if I missed that memo. Wasn't campaigning for any illegal modifications as forward cats will still be in place.

Anyway, my bad. Now that i know I won't mention again.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a dog person. Not really that fond of cats.;)

This is from the Forum's "Terms and Rules".
No discussions about removing catalytic converters. It's illegal.

Peter

Hey.... Can anyone recommend a shop to get this done at in Toronto?

Have a 2017 arriving any day and just about to order my offset/centre Flowmaster 10s (Outlaw) mufflers to be welded into the new truck. The Super 44s sound great on my 2014 however looking for a bit more sound on the new DD. I will post results as I get it completed.
Darren

Hey.... Can anyone recommend a shop to get this done at in Toronto?
I would recommend NoyzBoyz - they did the exhaust on my 2000 Mustang show car and it is still rock solid 10 years later.
Darren

why cant I find any CBE systems with anything bigger than a 2.5"dia.. its forced induction for petes sake..
are we limited to this size for backpressure purposes to keep low end in check...

This is because the larger diameter tubing will actually scavenge too much of the backpressure that the exhaust side of the turbo system needs in order to operate efficiently.

How does a FI exhaust need backpressure to operate? You want the least backpressure possible to let the turbine spin freely. a turbine operates via a pressure ratio. For a given turbine inlet pressure, you will get the highest pressure ratio across the turbine when you have the lowest possible discharge pressure. This means the turbine is able to do the most amount of work possible.

Scavenging effect in a turbocharged application is negligent.

There is nothing larger than 2.5" because 2 2.5" pipes are sufficient to provide sufficient flow for a 3.5l twin turbo engine. This isnt a diesel sewer pipe exhaust nut swinging contest. Why increase the cost of a low sales exhaust system for no power gains.

Your impellers actually do need a fair amount of backpressure in order to articulate efficiently. This has been proven to be true by the F150 guys since 2011. There have been a myriad of people whom have installed 3+ inch downpipes and 4+ inch catbacks only to experience the lack of power state that we have mentioned already.

Your impellers actually do need a fair amount of backpressure in order to articulate efficiently. This has been proven to be true by the F150 guys since 2011. There have been a myriad of people whom have installed 3+ inch downpipes and 4+ inch catbacks only to experience the lack of power state that we have mentioned already.
You are correct. I was reading a few articles on that a couple of days ago and less 'back pressure' will result in less HP.

Peter

I'm am 2/3s the way through all the performance mods you can add in regards to the engine without getting into the engine (barring FI, of course). The last part is the exhaust of which there is still not much in the way of complete cat back systems. Magnaflow appears to be the only ones with a complete system still, after all this time. I have installed a CAI that still needs some help if it's going to have any semblance of HP gains, a LVS 93 tune and the last in the chain is the exhaust. I wisht to replace the current OEM for the purposes of performance but also, because the new system will be completely stainless unlike the OEM system. I have not seen any headers available for the 3.5L in the Ex and maybe that's because it doesn't add to the performance(?). That's as much as one can do with Ex to improve engine performance without, as I said, FI or digging into the engine. That's as much as I'm going to do with mine.

Hi, I too am interested in deleting the resonator. However, I've read that the resonator also helps with back pressure. Is these true? I've seen several cat-back exhaust systems from various companies and it doesn't seem like they have a resonator. So, I'm confused. Please advice, thanks!

Hi Folks,

I want to start an aftermarket exhaust discussion for the Explorer Sport, so here goes.

After looking at several aftermarket performance exhaust manufactures including Borla, Stainless Works, Flowmaster and MagnaFlow for a cat-back system only MagnaFlow offers one currently, their part number is 15218. Here are the details on the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust for the 2013
Explorer Sport http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=15218, I believe the retail price for the system is $750.00 plus freight, although I have not confirmed this price yet. MagnaFlow is currently out of stock on this system and they're estimating it will be back in stock on apx. 2/15/2013.

Here are a couple of videos on the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust for the Explorer Sport:

I am aware that there are other ways of going about this, any good exhaust shop can install a set of performance mufflers, I have consulted my local exhaust shop and they said they could install Flowmaster mufflers on the rear using the stock tips, they quoted me $270-$300 to do this which includes the mufflers. My local shop also suggested removing the middle muffler/resonator to liven it up, which I had them do for $60, replacing the middle
muffler with straight pipes. It did liven it up a bit and I can hear the turbos spooling up now and it did not add any noticeable drone, but I quickly knew
it wasn't the end-result that I'm looking for which is what you see/hear in the first video above. Here's what it looks like without the middle muffler:

image_zps474db857.jpg

With the above said, I'd like to do the following with this discussion:

1) Explore options of what people have done or are planning on doing to modify their exhaust.
2) Discuss warranty issues (I'm not aware of any with installing aftermarket cat-back/sensor-back exhaust systems, but we should discuss it just in case...)
3) Discuss pricing & performance of different set-ups.
4) For those interested, discuss a group buy with the MagnaFlow system being the candidate, which would go hand-in-hand with finding a MagnaFlow retailer to facilitate
a group buy(I'm fairly certain MagnaFlow does not sell direct).

So let's go :D

Hi, I too am interested in deleting the resonator. However, I've read that the resonator also helps with back pressure. Is these true? I've seen several cat-back exhaust systems from various companies and it doesn't seem like they have a resonator. So, I'm confused. Please advice, thanks!

From reading various articles on resonators it seems that they do indeed create a certain amount of back pressure. Unless that back pressure is created by some other means, you will lose some HP. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...WsUUUHHy4V8HPaT--ThPCg&bvm=bv.129759880,d.dmo

Peter

I don't think that's a very reliable source!

From reading various articles on resonators it seems that they do indeed create a certain amount of back pressure. Unless that back pressure is created by some other means, you will lose some HP. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjs4fPB1NfOAhVCdh4KHX6mDQcQtwIISTAG&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8pdi4O35c&usg=AFQjCNHzQv5pdjSh6NkNbKFxx0RXxsI5bw&sig2=WsUUUHHy4V8HPaT--ThPCg&bvm=bv.129759880,d.dmo

Peter
From reading various articles on resonators it seems that they do indeed create a certain amount of back pressure. Unless that back pressure is created by some other means, you will lose some HP. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjs4fPB1NfOAhVCdh4KHX6mDQcQtwIISTAG&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8pdi4O35c&usg=AFQjCNHzQv5pdjSh6NkNbKFxx0RXxsI5bw&sig2=WsUUUHHy4V8HPaT--ThPCg&bvm=bv.129759880,d.dmo

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think that's a very reliable source!

Back