2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

Okay, I just double checked. The fog lights are indeed LED. It's only the high-beams that are halogen (and yellow). When those go on, the foglights go off. I'll probably switch to LED at some point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LED fog light option is not listed on the website, but should have come up when the salesperson was building your EX on their computer.
As stated by others, it was a $150 option.
LED fog lamps are standard equipment on all 2017 models except for the Base. For 2016, they were options on all but the Base and standard on the Platinum.

Peter

LED fog lamps are standard equipment on all 2017 models except for the Base. For 2016, they were options on all but the Base and standard on the Platinum.

Peter

But for some reason, kmarnes doesn't have LED fogs on his 2017 Sport!

NVM, he just updated that his fogs are LED.

Okay here are some shots I took this morning to figure out what was what. Hopefully it helps others figure out what they want to do. While I'm not a huge fan of halogen hi-beams, I'll probably wait until one of them burns out before upgrading to LED. I rarely use high beams.

Low beams only:
5HmBaX.jpg

Low beams with foglights on:
sSWhfn.jpg

High beams (note fog lights turn off):
FePckE.jpg

I have a 13 EX and want to upgrade my fogs to LED
Anyone have any recommendation?
Thanks Steve

Double post

I'm running diode dynamics xp80 fogs. Bright and match the heads without breaking the bank. Stage 3 motor sports has them.

I'd highly recommend the xb fogs though as well. If they fit the 16's I'd have them. Running them in my f1 and love them.

I have a 2016 Interceptor utility, and am looking to ADD fog lights. Does anyone have a pair of the HALOGEN ones they'd be willing to sell?

Fog lights are supposed to be yellow (low light temperature). When you reduce the shorter wave length part of the visual spectrum, you create better visibility, which is the intended function of fog lights. If you look at shooting glasses, they are always yellow as this allows the shooter to see in more detail. If you are just using fog lights for aesthetic reasons, you should be able to find replacements that have a higher light temperature.

Adding 2016+ factory led fog lights

Can it be done? I haven't dug into what the wiring is one the led fog assemblies comparied to the standard 9140/h10 pigtails. Anyone have any insight on this or could post some pics of the led fog wiring?

It's just a bulb.

The factory one is a whole new housing. I have replacement bulbs in mine. Still not anywhere near the output of the oem led fogs.

The plug ends are definitely different for the led fog assemblies. May try to find an oem harness and do some experimenting.

I have a 2015 Sport that had the yellow fog lights and I fixed it by purchasing some led fog lights from VLeds. They are actually brighter than the factory plus they are white light. A big improvement over the yellow ones. I have heard from other people that yellow is actually better for visibility in fog than white or blue but I think this more of a personal preference. The LED have more lumen output than the halogen bulbs. I use my fog lights for daytime running lights when I need them and white lights are more visible to me in that situation. In Colorado fog is rare so I use them more for daytime driving than fog.

Hi, I just found this forum while looking for HID/LED upgrades for my 2015 Sport. I see you got LED fogs. Did you notice if the LED light scatters and may blind oncoming drivers? I have heard that just replacing the bulb and not the housing causes glare problems. Also, would you happen to know the stock number and price for the LED upgrade? Thanks!

Hi, I just found this forum while looking for HID/LED upgrades for my 2015 Sport. I see you got LED fogs. Did you notice if the LED light scatters and may blind oncoming drivers? I have heard that just replacing the bulb and not the housing causes glare problems. Also, would you happen to know the stock number and price for the LED upgrade? Thanks!
I'm guessing from reading various Internet articles that replacing just the bulb will result in glare since LED bulbs just like HID use housing specifically designed for the type of bulb and the way it produces light. An LED bulb uses 'chips' to produce light and so the housing has to be specifically designed to properly focus the light to where it should go and not just shine every where. Here is what I found in another Forum; http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/led-bulbs-in-reflector-housing-81774.html

Peter

I'm guessing from reading various Internet articles that replacing just the bulb will result in glare since LED bulbs just like HID use housing specifically designed for the type of bulb and the way it produces light. An LED bulb uses 'chips' to produce light and so the housing has to be specifically designed to properly focus the light to where it should go and not just shine every where. Here is what I found in another Forum; http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/led-bulbs-in-reflector-housing-81774.html

Peter
Thanks, Peter...so you just swapped your regular fogs for LED bulbs and had no problems, correct? What type of bulb did you get (brand or website/place where you got them)?

Thanks, Peter...so you just swapped your regular fogs for LED bulbs and had no problems, correct? What type of bulb did you get (brand or website/place where you got them)?
I didn't have to do anything. Mine came with LED fogs. Unless you want glare, you can't simply switch bulbs. As mentioned, LED's have a different housing/reflector designed specifically for LED.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'r fine using the stock projectors on your MY2015.

As can be seen in the below links to a MY2016 Platinum that comes with stock LED fogs, the output is not projected in any way and looks the same as those who just swapped out the bulbs themselves.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dim...0/S3121860/slug/l/2016-ford-explorer-01-1.jpg
https://www.google.ca/search?q=2016...OvxiQiwt7r6bLM:&imgrc=t5jOzCYIxTCbbM:&spf=232
https://www.google.ca/search?q=2016...pzWXVwJMobaSmM:&imgrc=t5jOzCYIxTCbbM:&spf=241

Back