Transfer case question

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Washington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer SOHC 4.0L
Callsign
Suuuu Woooop
Question. So I found out I have a bad transfer case on my 98 explorer. My mechanic told me that I can "deactivate" it by removing a rod and the truck will be a rear wheel drive truck. My question is, is this a good idea? The transfer case is pretty expensive. The cheapest I found brand new was over $800. A reputable used car parts place has one with 89,000 miles on it for $350. If I can do this to allow me to save the money to repair correctly. What are the pros and cons of "deactivating" the transfer case?

1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4.0 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread into the 2nd Gen section, I think you'll get a better answer here.
Your mechanic is probably suggesting you remove the front driveshaft.

I moved your thread into the 2nd Gen section, I think you'll get a better answer here.
Your mechanic is probably suggesting you remove the front driveshaft.

No he has only suggested making it rear wheel drive.

Yes but how? You mentioned he suggested removing a "rod". I'm guessing he's talking about the front driveshaft. Do you know what exactly he was referring to?

The "brown wire" controls the 4WD of the V6 transfer cases.

Yes but how? You mentioned he suggested removing a "rod". I'm guessing he's talking about the front driveshaft. Do you know what exactly he was referring to?

Unfortunately, I know nothing about cars. Im only going off what he said at first glance. He is going to come today, and have a really good look at the truck. I'll keep you guys posted. But any further information any of you have will be greatly appreciated!

The "brown wire" controls the 4WD of the V6 transfer cases.

Will removing and capping off that brown wire bypass the transfer case? I really would prefer to just replace it, but funds are low and I do residential maintenance at a garden style property. 647 units. I need a set of wheels.

Just an FYI. I remember reading something on here somewhere where a guy had a bad transfer case. He removed his front drive shafts but then his parking gear didn't work correctly. Found his explorer on the other side of the street lol from what I remember. Just a heads up. Don't know if that would happen in your case OP.

The brown wire is a common modification people with the A4WD systems do. There is a brown wire which flows the current into the TC clutch. People install a switch into that wire(cut and run wires to switch), and then they can disable the 4WD. That only means that the front driveshaft is no longer engaged. If the system isn't throwing an error code before, then it won't after disabling the brown wire signal. The system only monitors wheel speeds, which is by the ABS sensors.

It still is best to know that all fluids and filters etc, are all good, not just to find a symptom solution and ignore the maintenance items. The fluid is critical in the transfer case, whether it's working right or not. People often pull the front drive shaft from an AWD version, and then they neglect the TC fluid, and that will kill the TC eventually.

So your issue may be minor enough to put off a real repair for a while, but don't skip the fluid change. The 1.5 quarts of fluid will save the TC if it's not badly damaged now.

Just an FYI. I remember reading something on here somewhere where a guy had a bad transfer case. He removed his front drive shafts but then his parking gear didn't work correctly. Found his explorer on the other side of the street lol from what I remember. Just a heads up. Don't know if that would happen in your case OP.

That's for AWD only, those with a viscous clutch use both driveshafts to hold park. I don't think any of the 4WD's will do that.

The brown wire is a common modification people with the A4WD systems do. There is a brown wire which flows the current into the TC clutch. People install a switch into that wire(cut and run wires to switch), and then they can disable the 4WD. That only means that the front driveshaft is no longer engaged. If the system isn't throwing an error code before, then it won't after disabling the brown wire signal. The system only monitors wheel speeds, which is by the ABS sensors.

It still is best to know that all fluids and filters etc, are all good, not just to find a symptom solution and ignore the maintenance items. The fluid is critical in the transfer case, whether it's working right or not. People often pull the front drive shaft from an AWD version, and then they neglect the TC fluid, and that will kill the TC eventually.

So your issue may be minor enough to put off a real repair for a while, but don't skip the fluid change. The 1.5 quarts of fluid will save the TC if it's not badly damaged now.
is there a thread on here showing how to do this mod?

I searched three times and didn't find the good old 2nd gen threads about the BWM. Here's the big one for 3rd gen's, it's 22 pages long. The concept is identical, and the effects are the same, and discussed at length in this one; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bwm-brown-wire-mod-3rd-gen.194875/

Basically you cut the brown wire to interrupt the signal leading to the TC clutches, which is what engages the front drive shaft. Without that brown wire signal, the front drive shaft is never engaged, it's in 2WD only. People just install a switch somewhere they like, to control when the TC can receive the brown wire signal.

I searched three times and didn't find the good old 2nd gen threads about the BWM. Here's the big one for 3rd gen's, it's 22 pages long. The concept is identical, and the effects are the same, and discussed at length in this one; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bwm-brown-wire-mod-3rd-gen.194875/

Basically you cut the brown wire to interrupt the signal leading to the TC clutches, which is what engages the front drive shaft. Without that brown wire signal, the front drive shaft is never engaged, it's in 2WD only. People just install a switch somewhere they like, to control when the TC can receive the brown wire signal.

Did the mod and it works like a charm...I wired a switch in and everything works exactly how it said. Couldn't be happier. Thanks!!

I'm glad you like it, well done.

Back