4.0L OHV 410 cam Vs 422 cam Vs stock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L OHV 410 cam Vs 422 cam Vs stock

Duber15

Reaction score
City, State
Skiatook, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger 4.0l
Just picked up a set of 95tm heads toput on my 94 block. While I have it open, I'd like to put in a different cam. My question is-the 410 cam, is there a significant enough of a difference between stock to justify the cost/time to install it compared to a stock cam? Is the power gains of the 422 enough to step up from the 410 when the heads need machined, dual springs, and possibly new valves(one peice). Should be getting the heads to a shop pretty quick, so I'm hoping to have a solid to-do list before I send them off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to tell you but by spec the 410 ""should"" use the 988 dual springs also..the spring tension for the 410 is right at the max of stock springs..some get away with new stock springs but it will wear them out eventually..

In my opinion its best to just get the 422..ive had both and installed both in others motors to only turn around and reinstall the 422 a couple months later...both cams are very close in spec,both have i believe .500 lift for intake,the 422 is .500/.500 but makes more power and when the power comes in its much more noticeable. .the difference in when the power comes in is like 200rpms..

But yes either cam is definitely worth it and if you do it right with 988 springs then its DEFINITELY worth getting the 422 over the 410 considering the price is pretty much the same..nothing like a good cammed 4.0,sounds great!!

Really appreciate your input. Just have to slip it past the wife now.

Another concern is the valves.

1 peice valves, are they absolutely necessary? Best low cost options?

Really appreciate your input. Just have to slip it past the wife now.

Another concern is the valves.

1 peice valves, are they absolutely necessary? Best low cost options?
I have seen them break,rare but they have..think if you dont plan on running high rpms,FI and your valves are in good shape, you can ""probably"" get away with stock ones.

SI makes one piece SS that are real nice replacements and help with flow.your need to call them to order them,i wanna say they were around $10 a piece. .only issues with SS valves is that your need custom broonze guides installed into the heads.stock heads are cast guides and will stick to the SS..guides are pretty cheap and if your getting the spring seats and seals milled he shouldnt change you much more for the guides. .think my guy charges $250 for all the work including the guides. .

I will add which im sure your aware,the 95tm heads are more than likely 98tms with the smaller exhaust ports.which in stock form dont flow as well as true 95tm large exhaust ports..also both 95/98tms with 94 block/pistons will give you 10:1 compression which will need 90+ gas to really take advantage of it and also either cam works very well and makes even more power in a 10:1 motor..

422,10:1 and SI valves your be very pleased with the power and sound of the motor..also mpg will go up even though your making way more power

Lastly if your doing a full build i highly suggest the mellings M328 high volume pump,helps get oil up to the valvetrain which is problematic for these motors..

Dont forget both cams need longer pushrods,around 5.525-5.550 from smith brothers

They're true 95tm heads. I went to the local lkq and found a heavily crashed 96 explorer. Had to be running fine before it was totalled. As I tore into it, all the gaskets were new fel pro gaskets. The valve springs had paint markings, everything looked incredibly good. All bolts cane out easily. Looked great other than some carbon deposits on the pistons. It makes me wonder if I got lucky and picked up a set of low mile reman heads.

They're true 95tm heads. I went to the local lkq and found a heavily crashed 96 explorer. Had to be running fine before it was totalled. As I tore into it, all the gaskets were new fel pro gaskets. The valve springs had paint markings, everything looked incredibly good. All bolts cane out easily. Looked great other than some carbon deposits on the pistons. It makes me wonder if I got lucky and picked up a set of low mile reman heads.
Nice.doubt they are reman..Engine Quest is only ones that made true 95tms and they dont make them any more..they would have EQ stamped on them..paint markings would be ford OE springs fyi

Probably blew a head gasket. .

Meant that they may be a set of factory castings reman.

Any chance of having the valve part number off hand? Can stock spring retainers and caps be used?

Meant that they may be a set of factory castings reman.

Any chance of having the valve part number off hand? Can stock spring retainers and caps be used?
O gotcha, thats possible. .

Give me a minute,ill see if i can find them

JD, being that just about every forum I've read about the 4.0l ohv, you've been mentioned/participated.

What is your honest opinion of Delta cams?I just got off the phone with them and they said they can copy the comp profile onto a stock regrind? Stated computer will need programming? He quoted $139 plus core, it's very appealing as I'm trying to limit the amount of money going out of my pocket for this.

JD, being that just about every forum I've read about the 4.0l ohv, you've been mentioned/participated.

What is your honest opinion of Delta cams?I just got off the phone with them and they said they can copy the comp profile onto a stock regrind? Stated computer will need programming? He quoted $139 plus core, it's very appealing as I'm trying to limit the amount of money going out of my pocket for this.
I highly suggest you dont use delta cams..matter of fact i wont ever suggest them to be used,especially their rockers..i had one explode on me hanging a vavle wide open..

Stick with comp cams for a cam and sealed power or mellings for rockers. .

I've done a ton of research on the 4.0 and built a highly modified 4.0 so know it inside and out..also have built quite a few of them and tried many different parts and techniques

I don't want to use questionable parts. Have any cams laying around not being used?

New lifters mandatory? I currently have zero valve train noise.

I don't want to use questionable parts. Have any cams laying around not being used?

New lifters mandatory? I currently have zero valve train noise.
When you start making power the last thing you want is cheap parts.build it right first time and it will last forever ;)

Just got ride of a 410 not long ago so dont having any cams..

Lifters are not mandatory, you can clean them.i made a youtube video not long ago that shows the basic how too.id suggest atleast cleaning them,lifters are a ""dead end"" for oil flow so they get pretty nasty

If you want to save some money just go with the 410 cam and new stock springs,they are cheap from rock auto..they will be fine unless your out turning alot of rpms alot and wearing them out or wanting that extra 25ish rwhp..still will need longer pushrods though

Also i know i suggested the mellings m328 and still do but its not ""mandatory""..its one of those things that definitely help for long term on the valvetrain..the motor has to be out for you to replace it so now would be time to do it..

Also suggest the felpro super duty blue head gaskets ,the part number will have ""SD"" on the end.much stonger of gaskets. .

Here are my basic videos to give you a idea on how to clean the lifters..the heads have to be off to get the lifters out so again now would be time to do..

I gotta toss this in; I used Sealed Power rockers when I tried refreshing the top end on my engine. So far they work but I'm not impressed with the cast. One had material missing which made a hole right where the rocker arm shaft goes through. Another had the oil holes drilled were so poorly aligned it was almost like a pencil prick of a hole on top of the pushrod cup. I would look elsewhere for a performance build. For a budget stock rebuild, they're fine if you check them over.

Stupidly, I didn't get pictures of the defects.

Have my comp springs on the way. Life will limit the parts I can throw in while it's open. So it looks like I'll just br redoing the heads and putting the comp springs on for the future intentions of the cam swap. Adulting/priorities suck sometimes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have my comp springs on the way. Life will limit the parts I can throw in while it's open. So it looks like I'll just br redoing the heads and putting the comp springs on for the future intentions of the cam swap. Adulting/priorities suck sometimes.
Aww thats a bummer but definitely understand. .bad part is the heads have to come back off to do a cam so it will cost you a extra hundred in gaskets or so just to do a cam after heads are on (valve cover gasket,upper intake gasket,lower intake gasket,exhaust manifold gasket,timing cover gasket,head gasket and head bolts)<<all need to be replaced..

That alone would make me hold off or find the extra funds..lol

Back