Water Leak | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone ever seen or better yet have photos of what the inside of these roofs look like when the headliner is dropped? I'm wondering if after your drop the headliner how exposed is the inside of the roof that you could easily track down where leaks enter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone ever seen or better yet have photos of what the inside of these roofs look like when the headliner is dropped? I'm wondering if after your drop the headliner how exposed is the inside of the roof that you could easily track down where leaks enter.

I have pictures of where it leaked from my roof-rack but my 2012 exploder doesn't have a sun or moon roof. Not quite sure how to upload pics on here. If you want to message me your email, I'll forward to you.

I had pictures uploaded to this site before from where the usual leaks are but they were erased with the site layout change, and I cant upload pictures now. Basically reseal all the factory sealer, especially the rear corners of the roof, theres a large opening at the rear corners/tips where the water wicks up, do not fill this with sealer, but where the factory had sealed along side it, it may look ok but theres usually small cracks in it.

For a temporary fix that may last a few years or until a pressure washer hits it you can use sealing tape for windows/tail lights as shown in this link, its non drying and remains flexible and will be hidden under the hatch area anyways so you cant see it from the outside.
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yQfy...eseal-HID-Headlamps-TAILLIGHT-Shield-Glue.jpg

For a little more permanent DIY fix you can clean the area with solvent and use clear rtv silicone sealer from home depot etc.

Welcome to the Forum smashclash.:wave:
Usually, according to previous posts, if the drain tubes are blocked the water puddles in either the front or second row foot wells. The diagram is courtesy of Jason, jmr061.
Good luck.

Peter

View attachment 91674

Really appreciate the diagram. Any homespun, effective ways to clear the drain tubes? 6' pipe cleaners? Bought used 2011 Limited last week. After wife complained it smelled "musty" found about an inch of water in the spare compartment with soaked, moldy cover, etc. This vehicle's service history shows most maintanence performed by selling dealership and sold to me through their used vehicle outlet. Seems like it might be a good idea to exercise their 7 day return policy. How effective have fixes been over time to prevent the leaks from recurring?

Really appreciate the diagram. Any homespun, effective ways to clear the drain tubes? 6' pipe cleaners? Bought used 2011 Limited last week. After wife complained it smelled "musty" found about an inch of water in the spare compartment with soaked, moldy cover, etc. This vehicle's service history shows most maintanence performed by selling dealership and sold to me through their used vehicle outlet. Seems like it might be a good idea to exercise their 7 day return policy. How effective have fixes been over time to prevent the leaks from recurring?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Water from plugged drain tubes usually puddles in the front or 2nd row foot wells. I think the water in the wheel well is from another source. Many early leaks came from the area where the roof rail was fastened to the roof. Water would fing its way in and run down the 3rd row seat belts. There have also been cracks found along the top of the liftgate, I believe. Fixes were not always successful on the first try. Several members had to go back a few times. This type of work is usually 'farmed' out to a 3rd party the deals with leaks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Water from plugged drain tubes usually puddles in the front or 2nd row foot wells. I think the water in the wheel well is from another source. Many early leaks came from the area where the roof rail was fastened to the roof. Water would fing its way in and run down the 3rd row seat belts. There have also been cracks found along the top of the liftgate, I believe. Fixes were not always successful on the first try. Several members had to go back a few times. This type of work is usually 'farmed' out to a 3rd party the deals with leaks.

Peter

Thanks thanks to the collective wisdom I went over the exterior with more eye to the details. 6 gaps in caulking around top of rear hatch door by hinges, body seams. Maybe just age related? Could also see evidence of drips or streams down the plastic interior panels between rear door and third row windows. Car-fax indicated minor repairs and found that exterior plastic trim panels on either side of rear hatch had small cracks in them. Maybe rear end collision caused some of the problem? Hopefully signs of easy fix. Will have ask someone to check roof rack for good measure before I start loading kayaks, etc.

So update my Expy. The sunroof company was at Carmax today to look at the sunroof. He tried adjusting the sunroof in every way possible but it still leaks. They think at this point there is a structural problem. So now they are going to have a Ford dealer look at it. If they can't fix it, off to a bodyshop it goes. Fortunately they are covering the cost of this but they've now had the car in their possession 28 days with no end in sight.

^^ time for a refund.

i was driving my moms 2016 Platinum yesterday in the rain and water poured out of the dome lamps in the front. Yes it has the moonroof. It's got 5,600 miles on it. And it was raining hard and I went down a hill and turned right. I cannot get pictures to post ( phone)

i was driving my moms 2016 Platinum yesterday in the rain and water poured out of the dome lamps in the front. Yes it has the moonroof. It's got 5,600 miles on it. And it was raining hard and I went down a hill and turned right. I cannot get pictures to post ( phone)

Just purchased my 2016 explorer at the end of June. Right now it is in the shop for the third time for the same reason. Water pouring in through the r/s b pillar height adjuster and courtesy lamp. The dealership claims they can't duplicate the problem. Headliner was dropped, roof rack rail was removed and resealed to no avail. They're at it again. My next course of action will be Lemon Law.

So update my Expy. The sunroof company was at Carmax today to look at the sunroof. He tried adjusting the sunroof in every way possible but it still leaks. They think at this point there is a structural problem. So now they are going to have a Ford dealer look at it. If they can't fix it, off to a bodyshop it goes. Fortunately they are covering the cost of this but they've now had the car in their possession 28 days with no end in sight.
So the sunroof company was unable to fix it so we decided to send it to a bodyshop. Naturally the body shop was backed up so it sat in their lot for 2 weeks before they even looked at it. Tuesday they looked at it and determined the repair would require roof removal (10hrs labor) and everything on it and look for the problem areas, repair and put back together. The body shop could not guarantee long term this issue would be repaired. Carmax called us and said we can either get a refund, exchange the car, or go ahead with the repair knowing we might have the issue come back. We opted to get it exchanged as we found a very close equivalent nearby. It will probably come in next week. As you can probably guess the first thing I do when we take it home is spray teh heck out of the roof with water and see if anything gets inside!

And as an FYI Carmax told me they will be selling the car at auction (I assume with full disclosure about the leaky roof).

So the sunroof company was unable to fix it so we decided to send it to a bodyshop. Naturally the body shop was backed up so it sat in their lot for 2 weeks before they even looked at it. Tuesday they looked at it and determined the repair would require roof removal (10hrs labor) and everything on it and look for the problem areas, repair and put back together. The body shop could not guarantee long term this issue would be repaired. Carmax called us and said we can either get a refund, exchange the car, or go ahead with the repair knowing we might have the issue come back. We opted to get it exchanged as we found a very close equivalent nearby. It will probably come in next week. As you can probably guess the first thing I do when we take it home is spray teh heck out of the roof with water and see if anything gets inside!

And as an FYI Carmax told me they will be selling the car at auction (I assume with full disclosure about the leaky roof).
After you "spray the heck out of the roof with water" I suggest taking it for a ride. Sometimes the water leak won't show up until the vehicle is driven. Also, check the spare tire well for signs of moisture. Good luck.

Peter

Oh yes. I've read this entire thread. I know what to look for now.

And now that we are back at square 1 where I could still get a refund what other things should I check out that could be dealbreakers? I'm thinking I should pop the hood and check the seam for paint bubbles. any other major things I should check?

Oh yes. I've read this entire thread. I know what to look for now.

And now that we are back at square 1 where I could still get a refund what other things should I check out that could be dealbreakers? I'm thinking I should pop the hood and check the seam for paint bubbles. any other major things I should check?
Check this thread and the link provided in it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-to-look-for-when-picking-up-explorer.363500/
I don't want to start another discussion on things to look fort in this 'Water Leak' thread. Good luck.

So I thought I would post my moonroof issues with my 2011 Explorer XLT. Recently during and right after raining, I've been having water come through my map light/moonroof control area. Now recently the moonroof will not work at all but I have my Ex currently at the Ford dealership. They just called me and said they have to take the headliner off and repair the roof motor and clear any clogs. It looks like the electrical part of the repair is covered on my ESP but should the rest of the repair be as well? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

So I thought I would post my moonroof issues with my 2011 Explorer XLT. Recently during and right after raining, I've been having water come through my map light/moonroof control area. Now recently the moonroof will not work at all but I have my Ex currently at the Ford dealership. They just called me and said they have to take the headliner off and repair the roof motor and clear any clogs. It looks like the electrical part of the repair is covered on my ESP but should the rest of the repair be as well? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks
If you check your ESP document/brochure you will see that water leaks are not covered. That is shown under items generally covered by insurance.

Peter

Hi Everyone - I've been readying this thread for a little while, I found it shortly after we found our first leak in our new to us used '11. That was a year and a half ago probably. That leak was the rear hinge bracket, I believe passenger side. We managed to fix that one ourselves. Since then we have had two more leaks, each more serious than the one before it. Our explorer has been in the shop this visit for just over a week, and the final result is that we are in $500 for diagnostics, and they have determined it is on the rear drivers side corner under the hatch, and the body shop has to go in to fix it. The words "corrosion" and "holes" were bandied about. The quote for this one, $2k.

I am going to get some quotes from 3rd party body shops, any thoughts?

I am so completely frustrated right now.

Paul

ask to see the corrosion, if it isn't corroded which is almost always the case since the metal is treated it can be fixed under an hour at home with adhesive from a local auto parts store but wont look as nice as a body shops work, it will be hidden when the hatch is closed though.

Hi Everyone - I've been readying this thread for a little while, I found it shortly after we found our first leak in our new to us used '11. That was a year and a half ago probably. That leak was the rear hinge bracket, I believe passenger side. We managed to fix that one ourselves. Since then we have had two more leaks, each more serious than the one before it. Our explorer has been in the shop this visit for just over a week, and the final result is that we are in $500 for diagnostics, and they have determined it is on the rear drivers side corner under the hatch, and the body shop has to go in to fix it. The words "corrosion" and "holes" were bandied about. The quote for this one, $2k.

I am going to get some quotes from 3rd party body shops, any thoughts?

I am so completely frustrated right now.

Paul

2016 Ford Explorer Sport water leak/damage

Hi guys. Need some suggestions. I have a 2016 Explorer Sport that Im leasing. Had it about a year now. Now almost 2 months ago I had water leaking into the 3rd row seating that I didnt know about till I went to the back. It was pretty bad because the spare tire area was full of water to the top from all the rain and the cup holders were full of water too. The car stank so bad from the mildew/musky smell. Now its been at the dealer for almost 7 weeks now. Ive been very patient with this. They replaced the rear carpet and supposedly fixed the seals in the metal on the roof and corners. They can not get rid of the smell in the car. The dealer said it was a concern. Now they said they are going to try and replace more of the carpet in the center of the vehicle(2nd row) and that it may be 2 more weeks. I think this is ridiculous and want them to buy out this lease and put me in another lease. I have Ford customer service center tell me that the dealer has to make the decision and so I called a ford dealer and they said Ford customer service has to make a decision. Which is it? I think they are just playing with me and trying to cover their ass. I'm about take this further by involving a 3rd party to help resolve this but would like to get your opinions on this..

Thanks,
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealers are independant.. it is not on them to make the decision. I believe you are well within the lemon law rights but I'm not sure how that works with Ford since you are not the owner of the vehicle.

I do not believe it is up to the dealer as they are independent and just the middle man. Ford should be the one you need to deal with on this which in then will work with Ford credit.

This is the first 2016 to have a water leak issue. Hopefully this is isolated and just a bad seal or gasket area. Normally we would merge this in the other thread regarding water leaks but being this is a new roof rack system, I will keep it separated on the 16+ MYs.

Back