Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SCT Eliminator 4 Program switch chip. Will it work? Is it worth it if i got it for a lower price?
Honestly not unless you get more mods or go forced-induction. .it requires dyno tunes and that can cost you hundreds. .my guy starts at $350 for tunes

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Would getting different set of tires for the summer be worth the investment? My current goodyear wranglers are more for snow/mud than pavement. Wondering if i would see slight drop in ET

Would getting different set of tires for the summer be worth the investment? My current goodyear wranglers are more for snow/mud than pavement. Wondering if i would see slight drop in ET
I think so..id get a cheap set of spare 15" rear rims and throw some meaty ass tires on them like 285/55/15 or something in that range. .like close to 12" wide and 26" tall...then just swap tires at the track. ..the smaller tire will help alot also,just dont go under 26" or your lose your top end.

Got a super sweet deal on a BBK throttle body. Hopefully it will get here this weekend.

Porting the intake..is it worth the effort with only a few bolt ons? Thinking about it doing this winter when I have a little more free time.

Porting the intake..is it worth the effort with only a few bolt ons? Thinking about it doing this winter when I have a little more free time.
I think so..there is alot that can come out..i went as far as coming through the sides to make them straighter and used some stuff called ""lab metal"" to rebuild the ports. .

oldin_zps952lkuu8.jpg

20151028_150721_zpsrfop20sp.jpg

20151028_130557_zpstaa7ilkk.jpg

20151028_150138_zpskk0nebzl.jpg

I'd definatly like to do it. Anything else you'd recommend doing while i having that stuff off?

I'd definatly like to do it. Anything else you'd recommend doing while i having that stuff off?
Refresh my memory..what all are you pulling off and why?

Refresh my memory..what all are you pulling off and why?
I was just thinking if I was porting the intake i might as well clean other stuff if I had the intake off. Honestly I don't know too much about working on an engine internally so i didn't know if i could work on anything else while i had it off.

I was just thinking if I was porting the intake i might as well clean other stuff if I had the intake off. Honestly I don't know too much about working on an engine internally so i didn't know if i could work on anything else while i had it off.
So just pulling the intake then correct?

Yea just clean up the lower and port it but dont go crazy like my pictures if you havent done port work before. .the bbk with lower port work will be noticeable. .

You have headers? Thats last thing before doing heads and cam work..headers wont help that much though until then but will slightly with the bbk and lower porting..

Id save your money for a cam and head work if you want real power,not cheap but your BIGGEST gains are there

Don't have headers. I've just got the idea that headers aren't really worth on the 4.0, but you know your stuff so I'll look into it. Camshaft would be sweet. 422 cam?

Don't have headers. I've just got the idea that headers aren't really worth on the 4.0, but you know your stuff so I'll look into it. Camshaft would be sweet. 422 cam?
They really arnt but the more power you make, the more they become helpful (IE bbk, port work and cam) then they become worth it..

Yes 422 but heads have to come off,dual springs and heads machined to fit the springs..not cheap but biggest bang for sure. .

Fr
They really arnt but thw more you make the motor flow (IE bbk, port work and cam) then they become worth it..

Yes 422 but heads have to come off,dual springs and heads machined to fit thw springs..not cheap but biggest bang for sure. .
Awesome. Gasket for the throttle body won't get here to till next week so I'll have to wait on that. I also got a Screamin Demon coil pack along with the throttle body ($150 for both). I'll put that on tonight. Not expecting huge gain but i've heard a lot of positive feedback about them.

Fr

Awesome. Gasket for the throttle body won't get here to till next week so I'll have to wait on that. I also got a Screamin Demon coil pack along with the throttle body ($150 for both). I'll put that on tonight. Not expecting huge gain but i've heard a lot of positive feedback about them.
Just keep your tr6 plugs and gap..do not open the gap up!!

Coil pack in. Idle seems a little smoother. I'll get the throttle body in whenever my gasket comes.

20160909_172358.jpg

Gasket finally came so i could install the BBK 66mm throttle body i picked up earlier th. Haven't driven much with it on yet, but throttle response has definitely improved. It is a little louder at half throttle. Full throttle is significantly louder.

20160914_152200.jpg

Comparison of the stock throttle body and the BBK

20160914_145644.jpg

You can do the TB mod to the BBK as well for smoother flow.

I don't have picks of my intake, but I did gasket matching and a bit of smoothin and it was very easy to do on the aluminum intake. I also have 1/2 phenloic spacer between the lower intake and upper plenum. I can say it made any more difference than the porting, but collectively it will as the mods grow.

I replaced my entire exhaust when I replaced the heads with 95tm units and they made a difference, but honestly, until you add cams etc, its gonna be a slight increase. I imagine with your nitrous usage, you'll notice it a lot more.

You can do the TB mod to the BBK as well for smoother flow.

I don't have picks of my intake, but I did gasket matching and a bit of smoothin and it was very easy to do on the aluminum intake. I also have 1/2 phenloic spacer between the lower intake and upper plenum. I can say it made any more difference than the porting, but collectively it will as the mods grow.

I replaced my entire exhaust when I replaced the heads with 95tm units and they made a difference, but honestly, until you add cams etc, its gonna be a slight increase. I imagine with your nitrous usage, you'll notice it a lot more.

Where did you get the 1/2 phenloic spacer? would the 95tm heads go with a the 422 cam? I'd like to do a cam sometime in the future but not sure if the 422 will pass emissions here in Colorado.

Both cams ""should"" pass emissions as neither has any over lap..that typically is why cams fail the sniffer

I know the 410 has passed and not much difference between the two.as long as your O2s are reading right and your cats are good there shouldn't be any issues

The 422 and high compression (95tm 10:1) with Nitrous is a great setup..they work very well..but the nitrous can be over done very easily. .your talking a full on build if you want 10:1,422 and nitrous

eBay for the spacer. Morana listed them from time to time.

Yes, the cams and heads would go very well together. Along with other mods, it'll give your truck some get up for sure.

Back