Clicking Noise in Front End on 2014 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Noise in Front End on 2014 Sport

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2014 Sport with 56k. When I accelerate from a stop, I hear a single click in the front end. Same when I back up from a stop. Single click. It's not a CV joint as I've heard those before and it does it only one time.

I remember a while back, there was something on the web about a plastic washer being bad where the CV joint connects to the tranny. However, I can't locate that information. It came from the same guy that is the Ford mechanic that warned of the EcoBoost issues - MAK-something or another.

Any input or experience with this?

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is. Thank you! However, mine does it only on acceleration - forward/reverse - and in a straight line. Sounds like a clicking noise. Could it be related?

That was me. Loose lug nut.

SHUMAX, did you ever find out what was causing the clicking noise? My wife's '16 XLT is doing the same thing.
-Jim

Well, maybe? I just had the steering rack replaced under the ESP warranty. Since then? I've not heard that noise again. It's been about 500 miles at this point, so I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I hear more of it...

I was wrong. Heard it again yesterday. Ugh. Car is parked, I shift to reverse and give it some gas and CLICK. Same if I am stopped, shift to Drive and give it gas - CLICK. I am going to deal with it at the next oil change...

I was wrong. Heard it again yesterday. Ugh. Car is parked, I shift to reverse and give it some gas and CLICK. Same if I am stopped, shift to Drive and give it gas - CLICK. I am going to deal with it at the next oil change...
The ABS check sometimes will produce a click but only after turning the vehicle on and moving away. In most cases it does 'its thing' without being noticed. It shouldn't do in a normal stop and go situation.

I am definitely familiar with that - ABS. It's not that, unfortunately. Almost sounds like someone snapping their fingers loud and crisply.

100% its your outter half shafts aka drive axles. I had this issue on my 15 sport, it was obvious and embarrassing. Dealer replaced both at 20xxx (after performing the thrust washer TSB) and it went away....mostly. Traded for a 16 due to all my issues and it still clicks on occasion. I heard someone else's explorer click in the movie theater parking lot just the other day. Try listening for it in a parking garage (or dealer service drive thru), from a stop select D or R and give just the slightest acceleration, its worse with steering input.

I think I just heard the click last night.
I was turning around so I turned left, stopped, put it in reverse, hit the gas and heard a faint click.
Putting it back into drive and hit the gas and another faint click.
We'll see if it shows up again.

I took mine to the dealer today. They heard it and said something isn't right. I drop it off Monday for them to dive in. I also noticed this - when I am in park, shift to drive and hit the gas, I get a knock. Metal on metal sound. Similarly, when I am in park and shift to reverse and hit the gas, I get the same knock. Makes me wonder about the tranny mount(s).

The click only seems to happen after I've been driving. Come to a stop and shift to reverse and hit the gas - click. Or, on a decline in a road and shift to reverse and hit the gas - click. Also, say I have to pull forward over a bump in the road like the raised lip of my drive - click.

Very odd, but we'll see what they come up with.

Shumax

I took mine to the dealer today. They heard it and said something isn't right. I drop it off Monday for them to dive in. I also noticed this - when I am in park, shift to drive and hit the gas, I get a knock. Metal on metal sound. Similarly, when I am in park and shift to reverse and hit the gas, I get the same knock. Makes me wonder about the tranny mount(s).

The click only seems to happen after I've been driving. Come to a stop and shift to reverse and hit the gas - click. Or, on a decline in a road and shift to reverse and hit the gas - click. Also, say I have to pull forward over a bump in the road like the raised lip of my drive - click.

Very odd, but we'll see what they come up with.

Shumax

You've replaced about every part of the front suspension and then some, I'm almost wondering if the culprit is a subframe bushing.

Those were replaced too. :). I am suspecting a tranny/motor mount now for the clanking when I shift gears from park to drive/revers. The more I focus on it, it is rough downshifting too - I can "feel" it more than I think I should. Jars the vehicle when it downshifts. That, along with the metal clanking when going from park to drive/reverse tells me it's a motor/tranny mount.

The clanking over rough roads - sudden drops in uneven pavement - continues too. Tech is going to look at the struts and strut mounts again.

Short of the wheel bearings, all is new in the last 10,000 miles. Truck has 59k on it now.

Shumax

So mine is fixed! If you Google the clicking issue, that ford tech talks about a plastic washer that goes between the hub and the axle shaft will crack/go bad and lead to a clicking while driving and turning. Literally, it's a $1 part each side. They replaced both sides today and that clicking is gone. Impressive!

Shumax, thanks for the update. My wife's '16 XLT just rolled 10k on the odometer, it's been "clicking" since day one. I'll pick up a couple of the thrust washers and change out both sides this weekend. (I know it's covered under warranty, but I have no faith in the mechanics at any of the dealerships near me).

So mine is fixed! If you Google the clicking issue, that ford tech talks about a plastic washer that goes between the hub and the axle shaft will crack/go bad and lead to a clicking while driving and turning. Literally, it's a $1 part each side. They replaced both sides today and that clicking is gone. Impressive!

Glad to hear that your journey and/or nightmare has come to an end, congratulations!

Oh, I wish! The clicking is gone, the clunking over drops in the pavement caused by broken sections continues.

What is odd is that I've noticed a trend. When the vehicle goes into the shop, the suspension hangs while on the lift, right? Of course. For a day or two after, the noise is gone. After 100-200 miles, it comes back. Something about "stretching" the suspension out that causes it to subside.

I am busy the next month, so will deal with it after that.

Shumax

Back