Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

eBay for the spacer. Morana listed them from time to time.
Found some on Morana for $90. Might consider it when i port my intake this winter.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Found some on Morana for $90. Might consider it when i port my intake this winter.
Personally i dont think they are worth it.i made mine out of a spare fuel rail..the amount it makes the intake runners longer is pretty minimal and what you gain tq wise down low,you lose up top in rpms..

This is why ford made dual intake runners that would switch between long and short runners depending on rpms..if you only have one but not the other you will lose power somewhere else

Same with tb spacers,worthless

The next mod I'm planning on is the underdrive pulley.
Personally i dont think they are worth it.i made mine out of a spare fuel rail..the amount it makes the intake runners longer is pretty minimal and what you gain tq wise down low,you lose up top in rpms..

This is why ford made dual intake runners that would switch between long and short runners depending on rpms..if you only have one but not the other you will lose power somewhere else

Same with tb spacers,worthless
Thanks for your input. The next mod will be an underdrive pulley. I'd like to have a mod I know i'll see gains for both hp and mileage. I'm assuming i need a new belt when i get the pulley. which do I get?

The next mod I'm planning on is the underdrive pulley.

Thanks for your input. The next mod will be an underdrive pulley. I'd like to have a mod I know i'll see gains for both hp and mileage. I'm assuming i need a new belt when i get the pulley. which do I get?
Do you have AC? Do you have a smaller overdrive pulley in your alternator? ?

Depending on those answers i probably have a belt i can send you if you pay for shipping. .i also have a spare overdrive pulley for the alternator if you dont have one already

I just put one on my 4.6 dohc and im seeing around 16.8mpg in city compared to the 13ish i was getting.but to be fair that 13ish i was having issues so dont have a solid comparison but most others are getting around 12-14 in city without it.im still burning oil so the mpg should go up once motor is broke in

Do you have AC? Do you have a smaller overdrive pulley in your alternator? ?

Depending on those answers i probably have a belt i can send you if you pay for shipping. .i also have a spare overdrive pulley for the alternator if you dont have one already
I do have AC. I don't have the pulley for the alternator

I do have AC. I don't have the pulley for the alternator
You should get one or should've already had one especially with a Efan..helps charge at low rpms or idle,spins the alternator faster..

Let me look through my notes and my collection of belts..i think i gave my belt for AC,over drive alt and underdrive crank away with the pulley when i sold it..wish i never sold it now,plan on getting another one for my big truck now that the supercharger is on the ranger..

Im 99% sure i have a spare overdrive for your alternator. .if i find it you can have it for like $10 plus shipping (fits in a usps envelope) if not ebay has them for like $20,they will work with you stock belt so you could put it on anytime

Have you checked your tps voltage?? May also be worth checking and setting now you got the bbk..also i cant remember what your running for a filter,if you still using the box or a open filter..

But id suggest keeping the stock box,drilling holes through the bottom into the open space of fender well but not through the plastic wheel liner.a k&n filter.then replacing the plastic inlet hose with a metal one..from tb to maf connected to stock air box..then wrap the metal tube with exhaust heat wrap..

Those ripples and crap in the plastic tube hurts air flow

Have you checked your tps voltage?? May also be worth checking and setting now you got the bbk..also i cant remember what your running for a filter,if you still using the box or a open filter..

But id suggest keeping the stock box,drilling holes through the bottom into the open space of fender well but not through the plastic wheel liner.a k&n filter.then replacing the plastic inlet hose with a metal one..from tb to maf connected to stock air box..then wrap the metal tube with exhaust heat wrap..

Those ripples and crap in the plastic tube hurts air flow
How do i check the tps voltage? I got a KKM filter. One of the first things I got for my Explorer. I've always thought about making a heat shield for my intake.

Let me know if you have that alternator pulley. I'd be interested to get that

Let me see if i can find a thread..

Also if you have a warm air kkm then go ahead and make a metal tube intake..thats where your gains will be,very little..you can order piping online and make your own..just need a 90* and a 45*,then cut to size..of course a tb to pipe reducer and 2 couplings. One to join the 90* and 45* and one for pipe to maf

Also i think a modified air box that still has a cold air inlet produces more power but many will disagree. .the under hood temps should reach ambient after about 15nph but ive found that not true

Also if you have a warm air kkm then go ahead and make a metal tube intake..thats where your gains will be,very little..you can order piping online and make your own..just need a 90* and a 45*,then cut to size..of course a tb to pipe reducer and 2 couplings. One to join the 90* and 45* and one for pipe to maf

Sounds good. Might also make a little shield near the intake

Sounds good. Might also make a little shield near the intake
Id just wrap the pipe in the fiberglass exhaust wrap stuff to keep the tube from heating up..id try and make a shield around the filter for sure though

JD, what's the belt number or the belt length for this set-up? Ive got the underdrive and overdrive ordered.

I also agree to reset your tps voltage with the bbk tb, I had to tweak mine and it helped.

Here is one i made for my explorer.

SNC00223_zpsb4657e19.jpg

I also had the old ifab one many years ago that i paid a bunch for..sold it when went supercharged and then the one i made after worked better to me..
Ifab..
ifab.jpg

I did wrap these to keep heat down just cant find a picture of them wrapped.

That's really nice, JD.

I made a simple box from black sheet plastic and taped engine barrier material over it. Holds up fine. No idea if it's better or not but I'm with you on your thoughts on the subject.

I prefer a dry element rather than K&N filter. I find the filter oil mucks up the MAS after cleaning and reoiling.

A UDP pulley uses a 2.5" shorter belt..i cant find the belt number but the last 3 numbers on the part number is the size..like if stock is "900725" the belt is 72.5" long..so whatever the stock belt number is take 2.5 off from it,like "900700" that belt would be 70" long...ill try and find a part number for the stock 4.0 here in a bit..

Old pictures of mine..
cp1_zpsvairf75j.jpg

Stock dayco belt..5060870=87"

UDP belt 5060845=84.5"

If to lose try a 5060840=84"

If to tight try a 5060850=85"

These are with AC and a smaller overdrive on the alternator

Cool, thx!!!

I also agree to reset your tps voltage with the bbk tb, I had to tweak mine and it helped.
To reset the tps do i just unplug and plug it back in?

To reset the tps do i just unplug and plug it back in?
He means to reset it to the right voltage ..then the reset the ecu..so it will relearn everything. .

Back