Well, that didn't sound good! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, that didn't sound good!

This sounds like good news. Glad Ford is stepping up and doing the right thing. This reinforces my commitment to buying american, especially buying Ford...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes,

and I think its worth noting- I didnt name drop, pull strings or call any of my contacts. I called the Ford Customer Service 1-800 number, and let this whole thing play out as it would with any other customer. So my experience should be roughly the same as anyone else that has this kind of thing happen. Talking to the dealership point of contact for the buyback program, he told me he has done 2 2015 Explorers, and 2 2016 explorers for varying reasons. He said he couldnt remember doing 2 for 2011-2014 combined, but compared to other vehicles, he didnt see where there were any more explorers than any other model.

Just dumping all the information Im getting- its probably more than you all need, but I kind of would like to hear about how this process happened from a third party before it ever happened to me so I could know what to expect.

All in all, its not been too bad an experience.

So, just waiting to finish paperwork and already had a new explorer picked out. Then a hail storm came through and destroyed that plan. Lol. Guess another week or two for this "interesting" life experience.

When it rains it pours, right!!! (even hails) Good luck and know that happy driving awaits you soon...

Can you believe this **** STILL isn't resolved? Over 4 months. Tomorrow, Im making calls to the Glass Tower.

Time to buy an asian vehicle... I just don't like the styling, that's how I got stuck with an Exploder...make that another Explorer, old habbits are hard to break. Funny thing is the guys higher up at Ford probably don't think your little issue is having an affect on future buyers, if they only knew, the interwebs is not some little bubble that doesn't exist.

I guess I'll be number 2! DubbsFaris thank you for all of your updates as you have dealt with this issue.

On Saturday morning we packed up the Explorer to head to the beach. While merging on the highway I noticed that the truck didn't downshift, and right when I was about to say something there was a loud clunk and the truck started bucking. The wrench light came on and said check manual. I was able to limp home but it was kicking in and out of gear, clunking into 4th hard, and sputtering all the way (Probably 4 miles home). I tried to look under then truck and in the engine bay. I did notice something dripping clear under the center of the truck. There wasn't anything under the truck when we returned home on Sunday so I don't know exactly what it was. It looked like too much and a weird location to be AC condensation. I thought the PTM had gone, but I am not sure.

Ford Road Side service was actually very pleasant to deal with. They picked the truck up at 8:45 this morning and I am waiting to hear from the dealership. I hope this isn't a big issue, but I am expecting the worst.

I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

For records, Mine is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with 16,100 miles. Completely stock.

I guess I'll be number 2! DubbsFaris thank you for all of your updates as you have dealt with this issue.

On Saturday morning we packed up the Explorer to head to the beach. While merging on the highway I noticed that the truck didn't downshift, and right when I was about to say something there was a loud clunk and the truck started bucking. The wrench light came on and said check manual. I was able to limp home but it was kicking in and out of gear, clunking into 4th hard, and sputtering all the way (Probably 4 miles home). I tried to look under then truck and in the engine bay. I did notice something dripping clear under the center of the truck. There wasn't anything under the truck when we returned home on Sunday so I don't know exactly what it was. It looked like too much and a weird location to be AC condensation. I thought the PTM had gone, but I am not sure.

Ford Road Side service was actually very pleasant to deal with. They picked the truck up at 8:45 this morning and I am waiting to hear from the dealership. I hope this isn't a big issue, but I am expecting the worst.

I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

For records, Mine is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with 16,100 miles. Completely stock.

Dang it! So sorry to hear of your bad experience. Please keep us informed of how things go!

*Update= Spoke with the dealer and they tried to back the truck out of the parking space to pull it into a bay and realized that it does not have reverse. So the truck doesn't have 2nd, 3rd, or reverse. They were able to plug it in and pull the codes. The truck is throwing a bunch of transmission codes and he said a bunch of them are related to the 2/3 shift. They are running some more tests and will have an answer tomorrow morning on whether they need to pull the transmission, or if its just an electrical issue.

Looks like I will be getting a repaired or new transmission on my 8 month old truck. Dealership has been great to deal with so far. They have been very apologetic and are taking the time to talk to me about the issue. Fingers crossed they don't need the truck for 3-4 weeks to fix the issue.

Just so everyone is filled in, I had such a horrible experience, I couldn't even bring myself to come back and update here. I finally finished the buyback in July. It took 7 months, all the while making payments, and even then, I had to write a check for 4K. It turns out they charge you .25 per mile. I had 7k miles. You also don't get back some other charges in a buyback. It was painful. I never replaced it. I'll probably get a SRT8 Grand Cherokee when they hit the market next year. I'm not writing off Ford, but loyalty means **** to them, even knowing many of the executives. I saw Raj Nair and Henry III this past weekend, and I didn't even bring it up because the whole experience is just awkward.

Just so everyone is filled in, I had such a horrible experience, I couldn't even bring myself to come back and update here. I finally finished the buyback in July. It took 7 months, all the while making payments, and even then, I had to write a check for 4K. It turns out they charge you .25 per mile. I had 7k miles. You also don't get back some other charges in a buyback. It was painful. I never replaced it. I'll probably get a SRT8 Grand Cherokee when they hit the market next year. I'm not writing off Ford, but loyalty means **** to them, even knowing many of the executives. I saw Raj Nair and Henry III this past weekend, and I didn't even bring it up because the whole experience is just awkward.

Damn! DubbsFaris, sorry to hear that. I would 100% buy an SRT8 GC and never again think about the EX Sport if I could afford a $65k truck right now.

So you had to pay 7 months of payments while it was in the shop and another 4K for the "buyback"? That doesn't make any sense. Also, .25/mile with 7000 miles is only 1750. What other charges added up to 2250?

Question: Does "buyback" mean lemon law, or is it something different?

Well, to be exact, in June, my "customer participation" amount is listed as 3783.61
Less mileage charge {[7479+(0.5X(7449-7449)120,00 <truncated> so I have no idea wtf the rest of this formula is supposed to read. I got an actual sheet, but I tossed it with the rest of my experience.
- DMV fees
- rebates which were substantial

Keep in mind they basically took my window sticker price, and deducted rebates, taxes and fees, and mileage penalties per Texas law. On a 52,049 explorer, after rebates, they further reduce that by 3800, and my total lien was 56k still when this sheet was sent. Since it was 6 months into ownership, I hadn't come close to break even because I didn't put anything down. I didn't foresee this of course.

I'd be fine with posting the actual emailed sheet, but this forum is garbage- ever time I try to post a picture, an ad pops up, I X it out, and then it's back to square one with the msg. If someone wants to pm me their email, I can get someone else to do it. I'm sure members don't have this issue, but as you all are aware, I'm probably not getting an Explorer anytime soon. Or any Ford....

Oops- missed the last part. I could have demanded lemon law action, but after the third tranny fix attempt before I even asked, they first offered to do a "swap" with any other Ford- at that dealership- of equal or greater value. This adds an addition vehicle purchase and credit run though, which they did, and then 2 days before the dealer got the paperwork, we had a massive hailstorm. The explorer I had picked out - a Guard Platinum with black interior this time had two small dings, but Ford demanded any vehicle I picked would have to be damage free. I tried to get a third explorer - this time in white tricot with black interior from another dealer, but by this time, the dealership was not at all interested, didn't even return phone calls, and I was then out of patience. By June, we had to redo the paperwork as a flat buyback, which by this point, I demanded with no vehicle I could get into anyway on the lot. A shame really, because I looked at some expeditions as well that had huge discounts from a couple hail dings, but Ford said no. All the while, paying 800 bucks a month...

Oh, one final kicker- my big check I paid? Yeah, I wrote the check and signed the paperwork, and went on my unmerry way. This is early July. In mid-August I had my first wreck in over a decade- in my wife's SHO. Totaled. I felt like total ****. It was just under a year old as well. Didn't have gap. Another 4K check written and a search for a 2015 Taurus to replace her baby. It had to be a 2015, just because it was last year for Tuxedo Black which she loves. Found one at Apple Valley Ford in MN. Price was really good- 36k new down from 47420 MSRP. So, they run my credit again. Only now? Yeah, the paperwork got filed sometime in August and I was reported 30 days late on the explorer payment history. First time ever for a car or house payment. Because of that and all the hits to my credit over the last year? 7%APR. I'm stuck with that until I can get my credit straightened out with FMC, and some of these inquiries off. But I had to make my wife whole. Apple Valley Ford was a whole other story. What a giant cluster they turned out to be....lol....I have to laugh.

First world problems, right?

Oops- missed the last part. I could have demanded lemon law action, but after the third tranny fix attempt before I even asked, they first offered to do a "swap" with any other Ford- at that dealership- of equal or greater value. This adds an addition vehicle purchase and credit run though, which they did, and then 2 days before the dealer got the paperwork, we had a massive hailstorm. The explorer I had picked out - a Guard Platinum with black interior this time had two small dings, but Ford demanded any vehicle I picked would have to be damage free. I tried to get a third explorer - this time in white tricot with black interior from another dealer, but by this time, the dealership was not at all interested, didn't even return phone calls, and I was then out of patience. By June, we had to redo the paperwork as a flat buyback, which by this point, I demanded with no vehicle I could get into anyway on the lot. A shame really, because I looked at some expeditions as well that had huge discounts from a couple hail dings, but Ford said no. All the while, paying 800 bucks a month...

Oh, one final kicker- my big check I paid? Yeah, I wrote the check and signed the paperwork, and went on my unmerry way. This is early July. In mid-August I had my first wreck in over a decade- in my wife's SHO. Totaled. I felt like total ****. It was just under a year old as well. Didn't have gap. Another 4K check written and a search for a 2015 Taurus to replace her baby. It had to be a 2015, just because it was last year for Tuxedo Black which she loves. Found one at Apple Valley Ford in MN. Price was really good- 36k new down from 47420 MSRP. So, they run my credit again. Only now? Yeah, the paperwork got filed sometime in August and I was reported 30 days late on the explorer payment history. First time ever for a car or house payment. Because of that and all the hits to my credit over the last year? 7%APR. I'm stuck with that until I can get my credit straightened out with FMC, and some of these inquiries off. But I had to make my wife whole. Apple Valley Ford was a whole other story. What a giant cluster they turned out to be....lol....I have to laugh.

First world problems, right?

OK, that makes more sense(Buyback vs. Lemon Law).

Sorry about all the other stuff that has happened recently. When it rains, it pours(or hails as well).

Apple Valley Ford is “just down the road” from me. I’ve always heard they are good to deal with(never experienced it myself), but wonder if you being out of state makes them act differently.

Sales guy and GM were pretty awesome to deal with and saved the deal. The finance lady I had was a big hot mess. She did not have her **** together.

Back