Adding fog lights to 2016+ Base Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding fog lights to 2016+ Base Explorer?

DONSTIVER

Reaction score
City, State
Vail Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer
2016 ford explorer fog lamp question

Hello everyone. I am a long time Ford owner. I just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer base model with the v3.5 v-6. I would like to install the factory front fog lamps. I have purchased both the fog lamp housings. I have not been able to find any info on how they mount. The housings have (3) bolt holes and what I have now has no means of mounting the fog lamp housings. I spoke to my Ford Parts man that I deal with and he could not find any parts detail illustrations in his computer that would help me. What Tech forum should I post this thread. Thank you Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone. I am a long time Ford owner. I just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer base model with the v3.5 v-6. I would like to install the factory front fog lamps. I have purchased both the fog lamp housings. I have not been able to find any info on how they mount. The housings have (3) bolt holes and what I have now has no means of mounting the fog lamp housings. I spoke to my Ford Parts man that I deal with and he could not find any parts detail illustrations in his computer that would help me. What Tech forum should I post this thread. Thank you Don
Welcome to the Forum Don.:wavey:
While several members have successfully added fogs to previous Base models I don't believe anyone has done so on a 2016 Base. I merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

So I've been searching on any how to's on installing fog lights on my 2016 base and haven't found anything. I have the housings on their way and was hoping for some help with wiring instructions. I haven't been able to find much otherwise elsewhere. Any help is appreciated!

So I've been searching on any how to's on installing fog lights on my 2016 base and haven't found anything. I have the housings on their way and was hoping for some help with wiring instructions. I haven't been able to find much otherwise elsewhere. Any help is appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Good luck with your project. Perhaps you can keep notes or post pictures of the install.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Good luck with your project. Perhaps you can keep notes or post pictures of the install.

Peter

I will once it's all said and done. But for now the only piece of advice is that you can't find one of the housings for under $200 unless you get lucky like I did. From Ford I've only found on their Amazon account and I believe it's like $1100. I'm not sure what it all includes, but I don't want fog lights that bad.

Thanks. I just noticed I misread. I wonder if you could wire the XLT wiring harness into the base model.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Thanks for posting but the member Jweidner15 already has the assembly and is just looking for the wiring diagram/instructions.

Peter

Regarding the 2016 model year fog lamp installation. Is there another black trim ring piece that goes around the new fog lamp after removing the original black plastic filler piece?

Regarding the 2016 model year fog lamp installation. Is there another black trim ring piece that goes around the new fog lamp after removing the original black plastic filler piece?
I'm not sure. From what I've seen I do not believe so. I have not yet installed them due to being busy with school and work. And I do believe that the XLT wiring harness will work, only thing is that it's around $600 last I saw, and not worth the money in my book. I now plan on using a generic fog light wiring harness and haven't put much thought in a switch or where it would be located due to not wanting to have something look like a half ass job that's "rigged" up.

Hi guys, doing some research Ive found this...

explorerbumperfogs.jpg

Notice part 17D957A, there are two options, with and without front fog lights, each one with different pricing, I guess if someone with the base model orders the part with the fog lights, he'll be able to retrofit them.
Wiring shouldnt be that complicated.
Now we just have to find the part number for the switch.

Any coments ?
have you figured out how to use the oem fog light switch when adding fogs?

have you figured out how to use the oem fog light switch when adding fogs?

e you figured out how to use the oem fog light switch when adding fogs?[/QUOTE]
What you would need is the main engine wiring harness, that is for your engine, that has foglights and also if you have the park assist or any other optional equipment mounted on the front of the vehicle. Easiest thing to make sure you get the correct one is going to a Ford dealer to get it. You also will need the jumper harness, which is super cheap I believe as well as a new light switch that has the fog light option. From what I have been told, this should cover all of the electronic wiring and switch needed. Whether or not you need a new one for where the switch clips in, I am unsure of. Best way to find out would be comparing one out of an explorer with fogs and without to see if they are exactly.

e you figured out how to use the oem fog light switch when adding fogs?
What you would need is the main engine wiring harness, that is for your engine, that has foglights and also if you have the park assist or any other optional equipment mounted on the front of the vehicle. Easiest thing to make sure you get the correct one is going to a Ford dealer to get it. You also will need the jumper harness, which is super cheap I believe as well as a new light switch that has the fog light option. From what I have been told, this should cover all of the electronic wiring and switch needed. Whether or not you need a new one for where the switch clips in, I am unsure of. Best way to find out would be comparing one out of an explorer with fogs and without to see if they are exactly.[/QUOTE]
so after changing out the switch and the harness they will be active?if i add the light sensor would that work to add auto lights? i talked to my buddy at the ford service department and he said they can also be wired to the low beams and that way they'll shut off automatically when high beams are on. i kind of like the option of having full control with the oem fog switch

That, I am unsure of. I am going off of what I have found so don't take my word as the truth. I went in blind and have learned a lot from finding more out as I went along. My first thing i learned was the LEDs need a $60 module that I can only find from Ford and has a $50 core charge. This was after I bought LEDs for the one side.

But after installing the fog lights, jumper harness, main engine harness that has the wiring for any accessories you added and already have, and put in a new switch that has the auto on/off. And as to wiring it in to the low beams, this I am unsure of. I have heard of that being possible. But, if you just wire the fog lights into the low beams then there wouldn't be a need for a new switch since they would only be on if the low beams are on.

That, I am unsure of. I am going off of what I have found so don't take my word as the truth. I went in blind and have learned a lot from finding more out as I went along. My first thing i learned was the LEDs need a $60 module that I can only find from Ford and has a $50 core charge. This was after I bought LEDs for the one side.

But after installing the fog lights, jumper harness, main engine harness that has the wiring for any accessories you added and already have, and put in a new switch that has the auto on/off. And as to wiring it in to the low beams, this I am unsure of. I have heard of that being possible. But, if you just wire the fog lights into the low beams then there wouldn't be a need for a new switch since they would only be on if the low beams are on.
yeah I'm just trying to weigh my options. adding a switch is nice but I'm not sure i want to change the entire engine harness. that just seems like a ton of work. when i had the grill off last week i did notice i have the harness on the drivers side bumper next to where the fogs would mount. not sure if i would need the harness if i have that. i know i would need the jumper to wire in the passenger fog and the switch. I'm wondering if i would need a reprogram to get the switch active? if i have to go through all that i probably would just wire them to the low beams

someone on here must have done an oem install or tried it?!

yeah I'm just trying to weigh my options. adding a switch is nice but I'm not sure i want to change the entire engine harness. that just seems like a ton of work. when i had the grill off last week i did notice i have the harness on the drivers side bumper next to where the fogs would mount. not sure if i would need the harness if i have that. i know i would need the jumper to wire in the passenger fog and the switch. I'm wondering if i would need a reprogram to get the switch active? if i have to go through all that i probably would just wire them to the low beams
someone on here must have done an oem install or tried it?!
I wouldn't know, if someone has and posted it, it would have probably been added to this thread by now. But I wouldn't think you'd need a reprogram. I am going to just avoid the head entirely by wiring it directly to a switch and try to find a spot where I won't have to cut into anything.

Want to know if u can install fog light and switch also is there an easy way to pop out the carbon cover or is it bolted on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen discussion on adding fog lamps to base model but not 2017 model. Concerned there is not
wiring already installed to hook up OEM assembly. Also, with all the different lighting types available don't want to have different color bulbs than the other headlights. Anyone have experience with this?

Back