Transfer case sending power to the front wheels when not needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case sending power to the front wheels when not needed.

Alexgrant23

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, Lancashire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Hello everyone, I'm having all sorts of problems with my transfer case and drivetrain in general. My car is making a horrendous whining noise when it's under acceleration anywhere from 20mph and up. I replaced the front differential to find the noise was still there, I then replaced the trans case and the noise was still there. I then replaced the oil and seal on the rear diff and the high pitched whine from there disappeared. So after that I replaced yet another front diff to find the noise is still there, I found out that the transfer case shift motor wasn't working so I replaced that. The transfer case shifts nicely into 4hi and 4lo but will always revert to 4hi. I have now had to remove the front prop shaft to stop the front wheels binding and there's still a whine there whilst under acceleration. I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing in regards to the whining and also what could be causing the transfer case to always want to be in 4hi? I'm at the end of my tether now trying to get it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's your tires? All matching?

Hello everyone, I'm having all sorts of problems with my transfer case and drivetrain in general. My car is making a horrendous whining noise when it's under acceleration anywhere from 20mph and up. I replaced the front differential to find the noise was still there, I then replaced the trans case and the noise was still there. I then replaced the oil and seal on the rear diff and the high pitched whine from there disappeared. So after that I replaced yet another front diff to find the noise is still there, I found out that the transfer case shift motor wasn't working so I replaced that. The transfer case shifts nicely into 4hi and 4lo but will always revert to 4hi. I have now had to remove the front prop shaft to stop the front wheels binding and there's still a whine there whilst under acceleration. I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing in regards to the whining and also what could be causing the transfer case to always want to be in 4hi? I'm at the end of my tether now trying to get it fixed.
I don't know if this would apply to your problem. My 98 4WD was stuck in 4WD LOW. I was on pavement and could not move. I tried for days to get out of low without success. As emergency fix I removed the transfer case motor. There is a small shaft that rotates to select 2WD, 4WD HI, and 4WD LOW(this is embossed on the transfer case) I used a socket that fit snug on the shaft and rotated the shaft to point to 2WD. I was good to go. Fixing the problem is another story.

I don't know if this would apply to your problem. My 98 4WD was stuck in 4WD LOW. I was on pavement and could not move. I tried for days to get out of low without success. As emergency fix I removed the transfer case motor. There is a small shaft that rotates to select 2WD, 4WD HI, and 4WD LOW(this is embossed on the transfer case) I used a socket that fit snug on the shaft and rotated the shaft to point to 2WD. I was good to go. Fixing the problem is another story.

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I did replace the shift motor but it just ended up locking the transfer case in 4hi constantly but still shifted fine to 4lo. When it was off I did move the shaft on the transfer case by hand as it moved freely. I've ended up removing the front prop shaft instead but the noise is still there

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I did replace the shift motor but it just ended up locking the transfer case in 4hi constantly but still shifted fine to 4lo. When it was off I did move the shaft on the transfer case by hand as it moved freely. I've ended up removing the front prop shaft instead but the noise is still there
Interesting that the shaft moved freely. The shaft on my T case did not rotate easily. I had to use a bit of pressure to rotate using a socket and ratchet. But, It is a mystery to me why I did not buy a truck with manual range selector and without pulse vacuum hubs. Good luck with finding a solution.

Interesting that the shaft moved freely. The shaft on my T case did not rotate easily. I had to use a bit of pressure to rotate using a socket and ratchet. But, It is a mystery to me why I did not buy a truck with manual range selector and without pulse vacuum hubs. Good luck with finding a solution.
Could the whine be caused by wheel bearings?

Back