• Register Today It's free!

Trans upgrades...

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
'02, 4.6L, 5r55s, starting to feel little "crappy" no problems, just starting to feel like a tired Ford trans. Has a new torque converter because the last one had the rattle these are known for. Anyway....any simple upgrades I can do to improve the feel of the trans? New solenoid pack maybe???? I hate transmissions.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New revision solenoid block, fresh filter and fluid, and a valve-body shift kit do a lot of good. You can get a tune which can improve the feel of the transmission as well.

Can you link me to exactly what solenoid block and valve body I should use? Those are pretty much just bolt on parts right? I usually do a filter and fluid/Lucas about once a year.

Your best bet is to drive it until it dies. IMO if you do anything to it now (especially if it's not been serviced regularly) you're only inviting problems.

How many miles on it?
I believe you should have the 5r55w too.

You can get performance ones for rebuilts, they cost though. Converters alone can run $900.

Nope, its definitely a 5r55s, that I do know.

Great info, thanks. Shift kit is probably a little more involved than I want to get (that link is for the 5r55w shift kit, works for the 5r55s?). Solenoid is basically just "plug" and play right? I can just swap that when I do a filter change. Sorry, but more info about O-ring servos????? Im really getting excited to dive into this and get my trans working as best as possible!

Great info, thanks. Shift kit is probably a little more involved than I want to get (that link is for the 5r55w shift kit, works for the 5r55s?). Solenoid is basically just "plug" and play right? I can just swap that when I do a filter change. Sorry, but more info about O-ring servos?????
Yes the shift kit works with the S also. It is pretty easy to install from what I hear. I would definitely put it in if you're doing solenoid.. there is YouTube videos on how to install it.

The servos are a little more involved..

Youtube was my next stop, if you have the link handy that'd be great. Do you have to pull the trans to do the servos?

Youtube was my next stop, if you have the link handy that'd be great. Do you have to pull the trans to do the servos?
No they are on the side of the transmission. They are just more difficult to get to.

I just did servos and now I'm about to do solenoids and shift kit.

Ok, the kit comes with O-rings but I didnt see them installed anywhere in the video, where do they go? Was yours transmission acting up, or why did you decide to do the kit?

Ok, the kit comes with O-rings but I didnt see them installed anywhere in the video, where do they go? Was yours transmission acting up, or why did you decide to do the kit?

I do have slight flare but thats about it..i was doing like you,just felt old and needed some updates..

The O-rings are under that pladtic sleeves you see on the shaft..that plastic slides back out of the way when you push the servos in..it keeps the Orings from pinching or tearing on the bore as you push them in.

Already ordered a new solenoid pack on ebay, $120 shipped with lifetime warranty for the updated version. Going to do that first and see how it feels then going from there. I think Ive got a handle on the servo stuff, now researching valve body and shift kits.

Already ordered a new solenoid pack on ebay, $120 shipped with lifetime warranty for the updated version. Going to do that first and see how it feels then going from there. I think Ive got a handle on the servo stuff, now researching valve body and shift kits.
$120 is going to be a rebuilt old unit..if that part number is not on it,its rebuilt. .

The shift kit is going to be the best improvement you can do and feel if the trans isnt acting up otherwise. .

It will be right on it..this "was"" a rebuilt pack as well but was having issues. .from a different trans,not outa mine..

20160928_113627_zpsupz53fuc.jpg

Yes it is rebuilt, but to the updated specs. Its lifetime warranty and they seem easy enough to get to so fingers crosses. Any concerns with a shift kit beating up an older transmission too much?

Yes it is rebuilt, but to the updated specs. Any concerns with a shift kit beating up an older transmission too much?
Im not concerned. .maybe if it was the HD but not the regular kit.its not neck breaking shifts or anything, just increased psi and some better springs

I see that you can get "updated" valve bodies too. I wonder if those come fully assembled and you just install them or how that works. Maybe best to do that and see how it feels then go to a shift kit.....options options options. Are you doing your shift kit soon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see that you can get "updated" valve bodies too. I wonder if those come fully assembled and you just install them or how that works. Maybe best to do that and see how it feels then go to a shift kit.....options options options. Are you doing your shift kit soon?
I dont know what they come with to be honest. .i know they are not cheap..
$200+ servos
$200 solenoids
$70 shift kit
Im already in it for more than really wanted..couldnt justify another $200-300+ for a full vavle body..

Back