Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Now that the 17s are out it would be interesting to test but I don't have an Explorer anymore so I can't do it.
I think you'll find a test mule as soon as you call for it! Maybe give it a try...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If someone is interested they can hit me up. Realize it won't be inexpensive and that you will have to customize brackets for the screen unless you want to order a brand new screen for the 17.

I have a 2013 explorer and considering this option, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if it will support wireless carplay. Can anybody confirm if it does? If not, is wireless carplay something that just needs a firmware update. I believe it functions via bluetooth, right?

I have a 2013 explorer and considering this option, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if it will support wireless carplay. Can anybody confirm if it does? If not, is wireless carplay something that just needs a firmware update. I believe it functions via bluetooth, right?
It may help to know which trim you have to see if this will work. Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Ford does not support wireless CarPlay at this point.

It may help to know which trim you have to see if this will work. Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Limited. I updated my profile to include it now. thanks. I also have the 302A package (Dynamic Cruise, lane sensing, etc) Let me know if you need more info.

Hi guys i have a explorer 16' limited and i want to change the software of the 17'. i check that is much better. is there any software, have to change the whole monitor?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi guys i have a explorer 16' limited and i want to change the software of the 17'. i check that is much better. is there any software, have to change the whole monitor?

This existing thread was found using the 'Search' feature and yours was merged with it. I don't think anyone here has successfully replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.

Peter

I've been searching and still cannot find anything. Has anyone heard anything new?

It is complete hardware change, not just software and if anything goes wrong you are on your own
I heard some people in Russia already did it, I believe swap was on Focus though, not Explorer.

Regards, I am very interested in switching to Sync 3, I will buy the OEM AUTOPARTSCO, it is expensive but I guarantee it works and is plug and play.
Sync 2 is the only disappointment of my Limited 2016, I think the change is worth it

How can you guarantee it works if you have not purchased it yet? Would it void my warranty?

How can you guarantee it works if you have not purchased it yet? Would it void my warranty?
Most likely, it will void your warranty, but it definitely is going to work as people in Russia already doing that, though it requires vehicle configuration after swap.
According to reports there are no side effects, after configuration everything is working just as it should.

Your 2016 came with SYNC2 MFT, if you installed SYNC3 then your on the hook to support it and how it integrates with the vehicle. So say your HVAC controls in your 2016 are not working properly through SYNC3, the dealer could say they will not cover the problem under factory warranty because the controls you have now with SYNC3 were not sold with the vehicle. They normally have to prove your modification is the cause of the issue.

You would need support from the seller of the SYNC3 system to fix any related issues.

The issue is that these new vehicles are so reliant on so many vehicle modules and systems that by changing one you could affect all of them.

I say this because when working with the Police Program engineers we would ask about making certain changes to things like DRL's or SYNC in order to integrate Police equipment. They would come back to us and say yes or no based on the effects it had on various other vehicle systems.

For example: using OEM rear back up sensors as part of an officer safety system called "Surveillance Mode". the vehicle will activate the rear back up camera and sensors so during a traffic stop if anyone tries to approach the officer from behind the sensors would activate and alert the officer.

It most definitely will affect your warranty depending on what it is that goes wrong. It will not however, void your factory warranty just the warranty on the affected items.
It is all mentioned in the Warranty Guide.

Peter

Oh my goodness this sucks. lol. Thanks for the replies everyone. THIS is the only thing I would change about my Explorer. I did purchase the extended warranty for 6 years of coverage. If I don't go to the new Ex in 2020, I will more than likely go this route.

@RedDen - I am now eagerly waiting your review of the new module.

Thanks for the information, everything in life is risk, they ask for the VIN with the aim of adapting the new equipment to the options that the factory vehicle brings, however if you do not do all the work properly I can return the equipment and receive from Return my money, as long as I do it before 30 days, nothing is lost with try, greetings

@RedDen - I am now eagerly waiting your review of the new module.
I am not likely to do the swap as I'm ok with SYNC 2 so far, but I was recently offered SYNC 3 for ~$300 w/o navi and ~$400 with Navi, shipment would add another ~$50

I am not likely to do the swap as I'm ok with SYNC 2 so far, but I was recently offered SYNC 3 for ~$300 w/o navi and ~$400 with Navi, shipment would add another ~$50
Wow! That's different from the $2K price tag they had on that before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Care to share from where you received this offer? Is this open to everyone or just a one-off deal?

Back