Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

With Winter approaching the trails are getting ready to close. From what I am hearing is the toilet at West Lake is being installed this weekend. The forest service road we will be taking from the highway to brewer then onto swamp has been regraded. It was pretty rough. I also heard the vault toilets were installed at Bald Mountain base camp. Doubt we will be camping here.

I am going to run a few of the trails Saturday to get one more run in for the year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked through the links from your first post. Is dusy the most difficult trail? How much harder are these talks vs the john bull trail? (for reference)

The last time I ran John Bull was 2001 I think in my old ranger. I hardly remember it. The "hardest" part of Dusy is the length. You are a long ways into the back country and if you break something it can take 2 days to get you parts. The climb up Thompson hill is tough because of its length of about a mile up a 15 to 20 percent grade. It is a mix of loose rocks from the size of baseballs up to coffee table size. If you look at it as a 50 foot long obstacle it isn't hard. It just doesn't let up for so long. This is where a doubler or a properly geared auto is critical to keep you at a controlled speed.

From Thompson Lake to Ershim Lake is the easiest section. There are a few decent obstacles but they are short. From Ershim to the end there are some decent obsticales but you have gravity working for you. My entire trip accross I think I took one spot last year. That was because there is one spot where you drive out on a rock then have to turn right at the right time. Think of it as driving a ridge at Truckhaven and knowing when to turn. The difference here it it is only 15 feet to the bottom.

Mirror has about a 200 yard section that is tough. Winch points are installed in the rocks if you need them to get out. A doubler and lockers will make short work of it.

There are about a half dozen spots on the last half of Coyote that are tough. One section that is comperable to mirror.

Strawberry lake and West lake are easy.

Brewer is easy with exception of the last 100 yards or so. It has a few decent rocks in it.

Swamp is much like Dusy. No one area is insanely hard. It just never stops for 12 miles.

I would say nothing is harder then what you would find on clawhammer in Johnson Valley. A doubler with a 5 speed is critical to making it enjoyable.

Just get your doubler installed in the Navajo. I am pretty sure you have lockers right?

The last time I ran John Bull was 2001 I think in my old ranger. I hardly remember it. The "hardest" part of Dusy is the length. You are a long ways into the back country and if you break something it can take 2 days to get you parts. The climb up Thompson hill is tough because of its length of about a mile up a 15 to 20 percent grade. It is a mix of loose rocks from the size of baseballs up to coffee table size. If you look at it as a 50 foot long obstacle it isn't hard. It just doesn't let up for so long. This is where a doubler or a properly geared auto is critical to keep you at a controlled speed.

From Thompson Lake to Ershim Lake is the easiest section. There are a few decent obstacles but they are short. From Ershim to the end there are some decent obsticales but you have gravity working for you. My entire trip accross I think I took one spot last year. That was because there is one spot where you drive out on a rock then have to turn right at the right time. Think of it as driving a ridge at Truckhaven and knowing when to turn. The difference here it it is only 15 feet to the bottom.

Mirror has about a 200 yard section that is tough. Winch points are installed in the rocks if you need them to get out. A doubler and lockers will make short work of it.

There are about a half dozen spots on the last half of Coyote that are tough. One section that is comperable to mirror.

Strawberry lake and West lake are easy.

Brewer is easy with exception of the last 100 yards or so. It has a few decent rocks in it.

Swamp is much like Dusy. No one area is insanely hard. It just never stops for 12 miles.

I would say nothing is harder then what you would find on clawhammer in Johnson Valley. A doubler with a 5 speed is critical to making it enjoyable.

Just get your doubler installed in the Navajo. I am pretty sure you have lockers right?

I have one locker, and a l/s. I don't plan on doing any more work on the Navajo. But I was thinking maybe I can jump in with the B2 on an "easier" section. Depending on how capable it is by then.

Are swapping a dana 35 in the front? No way a 28 will survive.

yeah. D35 is on its way from zukman. The 8.8 I already have in the backyard.
why would I keep the d28?

Because you have a little of the crazy go fast desert in you and might want to save the weight. Sounds like you have a solid build planned for it.

solid, simple build. No go fast. I'm already saving weight by starting with a B2

I believe this is Mirror Lake, I have always wanted to go back there and camp.
View attachment 92946

This is not Mirror Lake. I am thinking it is Red from the picture. Red is one of my favorite lakes. We camped there for two nights this summer. The fishing wasn't very good his year. It sees alot of fishing as it is probably the most popular lake to wheel into.

Took Bailey up wheeling Saturday to get one last run in before the trails close for the season on Monday. We went into Red Lake which is half way to Coyote. This is one of the optional lines on the trail. The rain the day before made it a bit slicker then it normally is.

20161029_105314 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

This is one of squeeze points on Red.

20161029_130444 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

After we came out of Red we went and ran Mirror Lake trail. On the way in I made a slight miscalculation on a line and put my truck at very questionable angle. The engine ended up loosing oil pressure while I was trying to figure out the best way to get out of it. Here is the view from the drivers seat. Notice the angle between the dash and the trees. I was able to back up and get a new line and made it without incident.

20161029_143343 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

My friend Don decided to take a different line the wasn't near as "exciting".

20161029_144552 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We made it down to the lake to enjoy the view.

20161029_151258 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Bailey and I decided to try a bit of fishing. 10 minutes later we had a fish.

20161029_154902 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We packed up and headed out. With the rain the wet rocks made the hill climb out that much more challenging.

20161029_164051 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20161029_164241 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Then we went over and checked out West lake.

20161029_171938 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Fun day wheeling. Can't wait till June 15th 2017 when these trails open back up.

Oh this is an awesome idea...I believe I was raised and currently live on the wrong side of the US...

there are just a lot of stupid politics, environmental laws, and gun laws out here that make it less appealing to live here. Oh, and that whole house price thing. But we do have the best wheeling all in 1 state

I will have to agree with ya. Kentucky and Tennessee have some really nice stuff right there in the Appalachian range, same as PA, but its only those spots. Out here its everywhere

If I start prepping now.... I might be able to do this! Would be a check on the bucket list.

San Diego to Shaver lake is a 7ish hour drive depending on traffic. Best to drive up the day before and stay at hotel or bed and breakfast in Shaver or Fresno. There are some awesome trails within 2ish hours of my house. It makes living in Fresno worth it. Hope you can make it.

I will more then likely have an open seat if someone wants to ride along. Bailey will be back in school and Tracy doesn't want to go. Must be willing to take pictures and have a good attitude. Bring your own sleeping gear. We can share my kitchen and cooler space. Split food costs as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I start prepping now.... I might be able to do this! Would be a check on the bucket list.

Could convoy up there.

San Diego to Shaver lake is a 7ish hour drive depending on traffic. Best to drive up the day before and stay at hotel or bed and breakfast in Shaver or Fresno. There are some awesome trails within 2ish hours of my house. It makes living in Fresno worth it. Hope you can make it.

that's not too bad of a drive. Not sure if Kristina will join me or not. Still too far out.

Back