OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

Like I thought, no evidence. Worthless is an opinion, you can have yours, I can have mine. My opinion is to buy American products, not cheap chinese knock offs.

Here is a quote from you on the on the post

"Torque Monster headers making comeback ???"

"I doubt China (OBX) would even understand the concept of a group buy. However, I can tell you the original TM price is very fair. There is 275.00 worth of Jet coating on them alone, which is a discounted coating price given for a bulk run. No way around that one, as there is nobody else who can do that 900 degree jet hot cure. Not to mention, one of the bends is formed out of house ( for some reason) and is quite expensive."

Even you know that the coating is the only difference!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a quote from you on the on the post

"Torque Monster headers making comeback ???"

"I doubt China (OBX) would even understand the concept of a group buy. However, I can tell you the original TM price is very fair. There is 275.00 worth of Jet coating on them alone, which is a discounted coating price given for a bulk run. No way around that one, as there is nobody else who can do that 900 degree jet hot cure. Not to mention, one of the bends is formed out of house ( for some reason) and is quite expensive."

Even you know that the coating is the only difference!!!

Nowhere does that say "the only difference". Slow down and read again. I said "alone" which means it is "one" difference. A substantial difference at that.

Nowhere does that say "the only difference". Slow down and read again. I said "alone" which means it is "one" difference. A substantial difference at that.

And that is what I said 'A Substantial Difference"

So substantial in fact, that if any one claims that it is not enough to protect so called cheaper alloys then that burden of proof relies on you.

Take into account that they coat the inside and outside of the headers. So the idea of rusting from the inside out is mute.

So, again, prove to me that it has cheap alloys AND that it will affect the Jet Hot Coating.

Made in China alloys is my proof. That's all I got. Show something more scientific to back your claim they are "as good as, just without some things"

No wait, I'm done. I stated my opinion. You can have the last word, I could give a hoot. You get the soup you like, I'll get the soup I like and there will be soup enough for all.

This isn't about getting the last word Turdle.

Its about whether or not that a coating, Jet Hot Coating, an American process of protecting these metals can hold up and protect them.

You keep glossing over these facts.

Another point to consider is fitment. I've herd from 2 people now that the passenger side OBX header hits and rattles against the AC box.

I have a 97 from MN (for sale btw, $1,600 ;)) with TMH's that are a few years old and the Jet Hot coating still looks terrific. TMH's are worth every penny IMO.

I also believe all the problems associated with blowing out gaskets come from not re-re-checking to re-re-tightening the bolts. Some bolts are difficult to get to which makes it difficult to get the proper leverage on to tighten them. I have yet to see someone actually use a torque wrench on them to check, again because of lack of clearance. It's almost better to take the body off to install them.

Google "obx header crack" then click images. That's all I need to say.

Google "obx header crack" then click images. That's all I need to say.

Yet again you are proving my point that none of those instances reflect on the "Jet Hot Coating" that needs to be applied to protect the headers.

If you coat the headers you will not have those issues.

SUS304 Stainless Steel - An Overview

SUS304 Mechanical Properties
Density (kg/m3) 8000
Young’s Modulus (GPa) 190
Tensile Strength (Mpa) 520
Yield Strength (Mpa) 240
Poisson's ratio 0.27-0.30
SUS304 Hardness
Brinell Hardness (HB) 88
SUS304 Equivalents
  • DIN Equivalent – DINX5CrNi1810
  • AISI Equivalent – AISI 304
  • EN Equivalent – X4CrNi18-10
  • BS Equivalent – BS304S31
  • ISO Equivalent – 11
SUS304 Chemical Composition
Carbon (C) ≤ 0.08%
Silicon (Si) ≤1.00%
Manganese (Mn) ≤2%
Phosphorus (P) ≤0.045%
Sulphur (S) ≤0.030%
Nickel (Ni) ≤8-10.5%
Chromium (Cr) ≤18.00-20.00%
SUS304L Chemical Composition
Carbon (C) ≤ 0.03%
Silicon (Si) ≤1.00%
Manganese (Mn) ≤2%
Phosphorus (P) ≤0.045%
Sulphur (S) ≤0.030%
Nickel (Ni) ≤9-13%
Chromium (Cr) ≤18.00-20.00%

http://www.meadinfo.org/2010/09/sus304-stainless-steel-material.html

Please for the love of god find yourself a set and report back. Coating does nothing for structural integrity. If so I'd be 3d printing these by now.

Please for the love of god find yourself a set and report back. Coating does nothing for structural integrity. If so I'd be 3d printing these by now.

I have a set and I am waiting on the funds to get them coated!

Now that I have shown you evidence, you change your argument from the alloy/type of steel to the structural integrity.

I promise you when I can get the money to have them coated, I will report back on here as to how the are holding up.

Now that I have shown you evidence, you change your argument from the alloy/type of steel to the structural integrity.

Same difference. Poor structural integrity is because of the poor quality materials used.

This is now my last reply to you as your obviously just not getting it.

Same difference. Poor structural integrity is because of the poor quality materials used.

This is now my last reply to you as your obviously just not getting it.

Its obvious that I am the only one that has done the research here, so as to who is getting it, it is quite apparent.

304 SS is the same stuff almost all of them use, American or Chinese. Some even use a mild 16 gauge steel for the factory ceramic coated ones.

The 5/16" flange is also what the majority use for the integrity of mounting and sealing the flange.

They even tell you not to use ceramic coated headers on a new engine because they are so solid that it could damage the head. They suggest using cast iron headers to cycle through the heat for the initial break-in period.

You really should research this some more! You are the ones missing out on a viable option. But what is sad is you are misconstruing the truth of the situation to those who are trying to learn more about headers.

304 SS is the same stuff almost all of them use, American or Chinese. ...

They even tell you not to use ceramic coated headers on a new engine because they are so solid that it could damage the head. ...

It's a shame, you are quite naive aren't you. I'm not condemning you, because you will learn with more experience, and time.

304 SS steel is not the same everywhere, there are differences in the quality of any material or substance, or product. The cracking of some OBX headers is not due to simply Northern or salted environments. The steel and/or welding itself is poor, and no doubt some OBX headers are better than others(from varying qualities of steel and welding).

That last comment, ceramic coated headers damaging a head, LOL, that's ludicrous(crazy or stupid). No exhaust manifold has any effect on a head's integrity etc. I cannot imagine what advertising moron came up with that BS.

Coating any header will improve the lifespan, no doubt. But you want the base product to be high quality, not a random luck of the draw as to what quality it started as. I'd wait a while for other examples to prove surviving 30-50k miles. I'm still going to build my own manifolds someday, hopefully by Spring. Good luck with the TM crap that takes a day to install, that's crazy too.

I don't have any coating on my FMS headers and they haven't fallen apart or cracked in the 8 years, 3 trucks and 150k miles...........

I also never heard of a metal you have to ceramic coat to keep together. Usually it's strong enough by itself unless its the Chineseium 304 stainless in question.

I understand your butthurt no one's happy for you that you have a set of OBX headers and your going to coat them and what not. Just stop talking, get them coated and install them yourself please.

OK guys, I will do what I will do.

I have given you all the chemical make up of 304 SS. You must not understand it or get it. I have given you researched and sourced info and not some words out of the side of my mouth.I am not niave, just informed.

Keep doing what you are doing guys. It leaves more for me!!!!

Don't believe everything you read, and learn to figure out when the "facts" are wrong. That means hearing words from a person and knowing whether they really mean it, and reading words in print but still being skeptical about their truth.

Craftsman tools are made from the "same" steel that they always have been. But ask anyone with some old Craftsman tools, if they would trade them for any newer versions. It's the same steel(recipe), but it's not.

Funny Don, I was thinking the exact same thing. Although, we don't know. Even American made, there can be issues, although less likely.

There are scammers everywhere, but I do know Al's headers used quality stuff, and turned out a quality product. Customer support, not so much.

With our limited options, would I buy obx? No question...Would I get them coated knowing what I now know? You bet cha. Would it help at the end of the day? No idea.

Unfortunately, our options are so limited that we will have to take the good with the bad on anything we can get our hands on.

There's no need to justify anything to do with headers right now, except that we all agree the factory manifolds suck and we wanted to try anything that was available to help our motors breathe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i started this tread to share with the forum i never got to buy them cause of funds i know TMH where hard to get so when i went on ebay to look for a set of headers i came across these and shared it i know couple of people have bought them i didn't know nothing about the company who produced them i thought i would shared it on the forum

Back