Adding Remote Start Access | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start Access

I paid $189 for the alarm and $376 for the remote start access installed through the dealer.

Go on the ford accessories website and choose a close dealer that gives online pricing. That will give you installed pricing at that dealer if you buy it through the ford accessories site. Everything will get shipped to the dealer and they will call you to set up an install appointment.

That's how i did mine. The dealer told me that everything I bought was below their cost, and the price I paid also had installation included. It was about $450 less than what they quoted me if I purchased through them.

I bought alarm, remote start access, bug guard, vent shades, rear cargo mat all through the website.

This is the link to the ford accessories website: Ford Accessories

Vic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VSS Location

You already have the VSS which the RMU plugs into. So you just need the RMU...DL3Z-19A390-B....which might be at the C revision now.

Any idea where the VSS is located on the 2014 Explorer Sport so I can connect the RMU.

Any idea where the VSS is located on the 2014 Explorer Sport so I can connect the RMU.

Are you the 2nd owner? The VSS is an aftermarket add on. Its not there from the factory.

The person that was directed at already had a long range remote start system installed which means they had the VSS already.

Are you the 2nd owner? The VSS is an aftermarket add on. Its not there from the factory.

The person that was directed at already had a long range remote start system installed which means they had the VSS already.

I am the second owner but I thought only the B part was necessary if you already have the factory starter.

I've got an Explorer 2015 Sport with remote access on the key FOB. When i remotely start the vehicle using the key FOB, a number of vehicle functions come to life such as the car locking, internal temperature being set, etc. My question is this, if i were to remotely start the vehicle using the Remote Access App, would the same vehicle functions be activated as if i were using the key FOB ?

Also, is there a distance restriction on using the Remote Access App? I would assume that you could be anywhere (miles away) and remotely start the vehicle (or lock it) given that the app works on cellular technology. Is this a correct assumption?

I'm getting ready to make the investment and i just need to validate whether or not it would be worth it.

Thanks,

Moe

Yep, sounds like a resistor going out. Any and all electrical parts are prone to failure over time.

Good day all,
I decided to pull the trigger on the remote access kit for my 15 exp sport. Is there any way to determine if my vehicle has the VSS or if need the kit with both pieces VSS and remote access... Also do you know if it is required to have the dealer use the ford software platform to active the kit or can it be done remote.

Good day all,
I decided to pull the trigger on the remote access kit for my 15 exp sport. Is there any way to determine if my vehicle has the VSS or if need the kit with both pieces VSS and remote access... Also do you know if it is required to have the dealer use the ford software platform to active the kit or can it be done remote.

2015 Explorer XLT

had the VSS installed when the long range remote start was installed, I think it is required.

The dealerships were a gong show with this. One wouldn't quote me, and provided me an estimate between 800 and 1200. Umm, no. The dealership I took it too today quoted me $700 which is high, but it is getting cold and gotta keep the wife happy. When I showed up this morning the told me I was misquoted and it would be 1100. I told them I would pass and the service manager authorized it being done for the original 700. I am pretty sure the dealer does have to use software.

You are getting screwed. You already have the VSS...remote access part should cost you about $200 from a vendor here on the board. You would have to plug it in and mount in yourself (simple) and then call that vendor and have them activate it (they do it as part of the parts sale). Then you are done.

You are getting screwed. You already have the VSS...remote access part should cost you about $200 from a vendor here on the board. You would have to plug it in and mount in yourself (simple) and then call that vendor and have them activate it (they do it as part of the parts sale). Then you are done.

Should have come here first...fack......

Incase any of you are confused as I was here is a great tutorial.. one of the best I have seen..

I received my RMU/VSS Kit on Friday and installed it yesterday in about 30 minutes.. most difficult part was the contortion of underdash work. Train the VSS with the switch ( as long as you have remote start on the fob now). Called the dealer today and had it activated. Created my own password for the app.. AWESOME Ford!!!... I could think of other cool things but.. hey.. its very cool.

I received my RMU/VSS Kit on Friday and installed it yesterday in about 30 minutes.. most difficult part was the contortion of underdash work. Train the VSS with the switch ( as long as you have remote start on the fob now). Called the dealer today and had it activated. Created my own password for the app.. AWESOME Ford!!!... I could think of other cool things but.. hey.. its very cool.

Ya its good but dont you kinda wish it wasnt so basic for that kind of price?

Hey Srgt.. YOU Bet I did .. I wish it had the ability to flip on the cams and look at vehicle.. or a cam inside car or something..

BTW I assume from your callsign you are Military or LEO.. either case I thank you for your service Sir!

Hey Srgt.. YOU Bet I did .. I wish it had the ability to flip on the cams and look at vehicle.. or a cam inside car or something..

BTW I assume from your callsign you are Military or LEO.. either case I thank you for your service Sir!

Yes LEO, thanks

What I meant by basic was look at what On* gives you compared to the Ford Ap.

Im just looking for tire PSI, gas tank level, simple data pulled from the vehicle.

The camera idea is a good one though.

Compare it to DroneMobile, more information, lower cost hardware.

I absolutely agree.. I havent looked at on* as I despise GM.. I looked at DroneMobile and for what ever reason I didnt think it worked for the exploder... !!! I like the ford factory /factory accessory idea as if I have an issue it isnt finger pointing as to whos issue it is.. !!

I am surely a ford explorer bigot and again like that integration.. I am with you however it should do more.. lets bug the daylights out of em until they are competitive !!!

FYI Sarg I was looking at drone mobile and it provides same basic service and also has an internet service for $24 a month.

Personally I think we should send emails to Ford and Spindance( company that makes software for ford and torment them for status as you have indicated and camera as i would like LOL

The Ford Remote App shows in iTunes Store as the latest release dated 2013.

DroneMobile does a couple updates annually, even if the GUI doesnt change much, the performance does.

We have 3 year Premium package on our work truck and the features are enhanced significantly. GPS tracking your vehicle live if it's stolen or seeing where it is at any moment is kinda good especially if you let others drive the vehicle. Not to mention battery charge level, tire PSI, fuel level, etc etc.
agencies great difficulty in using certain parts to upfit the 2017MY.

I do know that for the 2017 model year the electrical architecture changed dramatically especially on the Explorer so they made the addition of aftermarket parts more difficult.Its causing some LE

My 2014 Ford OEM Invision DVD system wasn't compatible with 2017.

The DroneMobile system for the 2017 hasnt caught up so installing it over the OEM solution would be messy and result in reduced functionality. Its all in an effort to force the owner to buy their OEM solutions because they will only truly be a real "Plug & Play" solution.

Gateway module on the OBDII port is an prime example, my 2014 VSS system was unusable had to buy new kit.

Ah yes now some of that does make sense especially on the gateway to the OBDII as clearly that is the access to the Control and reporting systems. I do like the GPS remote issue find my truck. Good discussion for sure.. And I hope Spin Dance and Ford watch this forum at a miminum..

Your points are right on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of DroneMobile before but it looks pretty awesome. If anyone has ever installed one on a 2014 Explorer which came without factory-installed remote starter, please chime in with your experience.

Back