pissing out fuel out of exhaust haha | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pissing out fuel out of exhaust haha

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer sport sohc 99
so a while ago i would say a month ago my 1999 sohc sport started misfiring when cold and would run right after warming up. got a code for ignition coil malfuntion c. i replaced the wires and plugs last year so i just replaced the coil pack. it ran right for the last month until a few days ago. it started misfiring like crazy and stalling while driving. it stank like gas and i went through half a tank in 40 kilometers haha. noticed a puddle of fuel coming out from one of one of my exhaust leaks. im thinking its stuck open injector or injectors. i hooked up an ids scan too and its only coming from the drivers side. im pretty sure they are injectors. anybody else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I haven't but I would unplug one injector electrical connector at a time and see how that affects it at idle and increased RPM.. unplug one working correctly and it should run worse. Unplug one flooding the cylinder and it should run about the same. You can also pull and examine the plugs to see which look different, and swap injector positions to verify the problem follows the injector, putting new o-rings on when you do so.

It seems unlikely you have multiple injectors suddenly getting stuck at once unless there is some severe breakdown of your fuel filter medium and I'm not even sure if they could get stuck open from that or just clogged. Anyway I'd replace the filter if it hasn't been done in recent 10's of thousands of miles or if there's a chance you had a source of contaminated fuel or excessive tank rust.

However I'd be cautious about how much I ran the engine with it potentially being damaging to the catalytic converter, if it isn't already shot after blowing near half a tank out. If it weren't for the catalytic converter I'd have thought about putting some fuel injector cleaner through it which might not be a bad idea to clean the others some once you narrow down and fix the one that's potentially stuck so it's no longer dumping fuel out the exhaust.

One other thought is make sure the plug wires are on the plugs good, in case one isn't snapped on securely and took a while to work itself looser, though that wouldn't explain the high fuel consumption, yet it's a quick and free thing to check.

No I haven't but I would unplug one injector electrical connector at a time and see how that affects it at idle and increased RPM.. unplug one working correctly and it should run worse. Unplug one flooding the cylinder and it should run about the same. You can also pull and examine the plugs to see which look different, and swap injector positions to verify the problem follows the injector, putting new o-rings on when you do so.

It seems unlikely you have multiple injectors suddenly getting stuck at once unless there is some severe breakdown of your fuel filter medium and I'm not even sure if they could get stuck open from that or just clogged. Anyway I'd replace the filter if it hasn't been done in recent 10's of thousands of miles or if there's a chance you had a source of contaminated fuel or excessive tank rust.

However I'd be cautious about how much I ran the engine with it potentially being damaging to the catalytic converter, if it isn't already shot after blowing near half a tank out. If it weren't for the catalytic converter I'd have thought about putting some fuel injector cleaner through it which might not be a bad idea to clean the others some once you narrow down and fix the one that's potentially stuck so it's no longer dumping fuel out the exhaust.

One other thought is make sure the plug wires are on the plugs good, in case one isn't snapped on securely and took a while to work itself looser, though that wouldn't explain the high fuel consumption, yet it's a quick and free thing to check.
only problem is its near to impossible to get to the injectors because the intake is in the way. im just going to replace 3 injectors on that side. and i have a leaking gas tank so that also might be a problem too. if i fill it all the way it leaks. i replaced my fuel filter about 20/30 thousand kilometers ago. im going to see if the injectors do anything and go from there. i dont think the plugs have anything to do with it but i will check them also.

I have to think if that much fuel was dumping, the cats would ignite it, and they would be glowing red. You would not see fuel leaking from the exhaust, but you might be seeing water with a gas smell to it.

I'd be doing a compression and leak down test before anything else. I'm suspecting a cracked head ( or gasket) is leaking small amounts of coolant and fouling the plugs.

okay well i bought a brand new f150 because this truck gave me alot of problems from all the mudding i use to do. but im still content on fixing it. so i verified that cylinders 6 and 2 are not firing. i pulled the wires while it was running and there was no ark on 6/2. i replaced the coil pack so it cant be that. i dont think they are the wires because i swapped 1 and 2 out and it still isnt arking on 2. maybe a pcm/wiring problem?\

p0113 p0118 p0353 p1504 p1451 p0135p0141 p0155 p0161 p1409 here is a list of codes i found. also the MAF was showing 0.01 lbs/s which i thought was low.

Back