255/55R18 or 265/60R18 on a Gen 5 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

255/55R18 or 265/60R18 on a Gen 5 XLT

I'm looking to put a set of BFG KO2s on my 2013 Explorer XLT. I have the stock 245/60R18s on there now. The shop is saying go with the 255/55R18, but the one thread I found ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431021 ) has a cryptic comment.

"as tough as some of these 105 load rated tires are I'd worry more about aspect ratio than I would plys. as in - anything lower than say the 60 ratio (assuming stock 18's) then I would worry about punctures as the side wall stiffness wouldn't allow the tire to deform nearly as much."​

Does any on have KO2s on the Gen 5? If so what size? Are the 55s too wide? Can anyone clarify why not go go less than a 60?

Thanks,
stefan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking to put a set of BFG KO2s on my 2013 Explorer XLT. I have the stock 245/60R18s on there now. The shop is saying go with the 255/55R18, but the one thread I found ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431021 ) has a cryptic comment.

"as tough as some of these 105 load rated tires are I'd worry more about aspect ratio than I would plys. as in - anything lower than say the 60 ratio (assuming stock 18's) then I would worry about punctures as the side wall stiffness wouldn't allow the tire to deform nearly as much."​

Does any on have KO2s on the Gen 5? If so what size? Are the 55s too wide? Can anyone clarify why not go go less than a 60?

Thanks,
stefan

Your tire guy is correct.

A 255/55 will mount nicely on a 8" wheel. Manufacturers listed measurements for tire sizes vary widely. You would be running a slightly wider tire with an slightly lower aspect ratio on the same wheel. It will look pretty much the same. The most important thing would be if the load range is incorrect. 104 or 105 is correct for the Explorer. I would recommend the Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV. Its a great summer tire. I used them on my '06 Cayenne S. Tire rack is running a sale on them for 149.00 each.

EDIT: if something is going to puncture the tire the side wall ratio is irrelevant. A 55 ratio is still a good bit of meat on the side wall if your worried about pot holes and curbs.

How did these tires end up performing? Any issues?

Just put 265/60-18 BFG KO2s on my stock 2015 XLT Explorer. No rubbing at full steering lock. Checked the gap at full lock, was about an inch at the smallest point.

IMG_2376.JPG

Just put 265/60-18 BFG KO2s on my stock 2015 XLT Explorer. No rubbing at full steering lock. Checked the gap at full lock, was about an inch at the smallest point.

IMG_2376.JPG
I have a set of 265/60/20 tires. Do you think those will have any issues?

A 265/60/20 is 2” larger in diameter than a 265/60/18. That is a 6-1/2% increase in tire size.
Generally speaking it is best to stay under 3% to avoid ABS/Transmissions issues. The larger tire diameter will also reduce your final drive gearing ratio, as well as negatively impact gas mileage.
They may also rub in front as well.

what is your mpg with 265/60-18 tire and have you had issues with the auto 4WD?

Back