1998 4 door Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4 door Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TPS problem

I replaced my TPS a while ago. I posted it under a transmission problem thread I had previously made because it made the transmission shift hard and also caused a high idle. Not quite a year yet, it was on 10-13-2014.
It is here at post 14.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395226

Yesterday, 10-4-2015 it acted up again. High idle, shifting hard. I looked at the TPS with a scan tool and saw it was reading around 1.11 and was not showing closed throttle on the other "pid".

The PCM learns closed throttle at key on engine off (and other times) and sets what it believes is closed throttle voltage in memory. Mine was .92
Seeing 1.11 told me something was up. I wiggled the TPS connector and the voltage went back to .92

The problem has not happened again yet but I am sure it will. It is either a connector/wire problem, or the aftermarket TPS failed.

Used Tires

I put 4 used tires on my truck, they are almost new.
Cooper discovery's 235 75 15.
Don't know if I like them yet, time will tell.

Congrats for your dedication!

Just hit 270,076 miles and still going.
Hope to keep it going two more years and would like to reach 300,000 miles.

Today after driving 42 miles home from work, I stopped at the post office.
When I came out the truck would not start.
I tried multiple times to get it going and even walked down the street and around the corner,
to a shop (that had a tow truck) only to find they were closed.
I went back to the truck and called a tow company and was waiting for a call back when it finally started.
I called the tow company back and told them never mind.
I noticed the fuel pump was not running when It would not start, so I put a fuel pump in tonight.
After all there is 271,555 miles on the truck and I had had it since 132,000 and never put a pump in it.

The job was not too bad, except for the time I banged my knee cap on the running board. It hurt so bad I could not move for 5 minutes.
There is a nice bump on the center of my knee cap now and I am sure it will remind me that it is damaged throughout the next week.
The sad thing is I have done this a few times before and it never fails, as soon as I go to slide out from underneath the truck.... Bang! here comes the pain. lol
At least it is finished, and I did not have to have it towed. Onward towards my goal of 300,000 miles. lol. We shall see.

Getting up there. Does this one have the 5.0 or SOHC like your other one?

This one is a 4.0 sohc. Now all three Explorers I have are all 4.0 sohc engines.
I need a mustang 4.0 sohc to add to my collection. lol.

This one is a 4.0 sohc. Now all three Explorers I have are all 4.0 sohc engines.
I need a mustang 4.0 sohc to add to my collection. lol.

Yeah I ended up viewing your thread on the transmission saga and saw it had the 5r55e in it so I figured it out lol. Why in the world do you have all 4.0s lol? I don't think they are necessarily bad or anything just wouldn't take one over the 5.0 in the same chassis you know.

I dont mind the fuel pump job other than the lines that like to crack and the not so quick connects

"not so quick connects" lol, that's funny and true. I fought with them for sure.
As far as the 4.0, it is just what I ended up with before I knew anything about them.
Then after doing what I have done to the 98 sport 4.0 sohc and it holding up to over 20 lbs of boost, I just kind of like it now.
I also have to get through state inspection and don't know the ramifications of changing to a 5.0.
I would love to join the others who have boosted ones (or 347's), but am still having fun experimenting with the 4.0 sohc.
Really would like to try heads and cams, I think I could hit low 12's but it would cost me at least 3400.00 plus gaskets and fluids etc.
Maybe next year, lol.

You should try a 5.0 at some point, new world, I have a 4.0 now, they'll certainly turn up, the 5.0 felt like it had more though.

I would love to join the others who have boosted ones (or 347's), but am still having fun experimenting with the 4.0 sohc.

not to mention also beating the crap out of guys who have boosted 347's......end rant....lol

280,637 miles

Well, today was rather unpleasant.
I am sick, caught a cold of some sort.
On the way to work the overdrive light started flashing and the torque converter was not locking up.
There is a clicking noise coming from the pan area, feels like I have been here before.
I have a remanufactured valve body, I will try that out to see what happens. Have to buy fluid though.
I was hoping to not have to put money into this truck as it is starting to rust on the passenger side rocker pretty good.
Just trying to keep it going for another year, and hope to hit 300,000 miles
Definitely going to keep an eye out for another Explorer or Ranger to replace this truck, just have to find one cheap with no rust.

Well, never tried that valve body.
I suspected the pump may have been cracked and against my better judgment I took it out on a road test anyway.
Didn't make it to far and bam! The pump broke and now I have no gears at all. The tow was only 150.00, lol.
Towed.JPG

I'm sorry to see that trans give up on you. I think you are one of the 5R trans gurus here. Thanks for steering me to the torque converter from the FL company. I hope to get my trans apart soon, I finally got the truck back up in the air.

Glad to hear you are getting back to working on your Explorer. I just ordered another torque converter from them since I know the one in my truck will be all chewed up from the pump breaking.
I will never claim to be any transmission guru, not my specialty. lol. Especially with this 5R55E acting up again for the third time. lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, what you have accomplished with the boosted truck makes that trans very special. I only know the AOD and 4R trans, so my opinion isn't that great I know.

I'll bend your ear about double DIN radios later too, I want a backup camera and steering wheel controls for my mail truck.

Back