(Probably A Dumb) Brake Rotors and Pads Question/ Advice Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Probably A Dumb) Brake Rotors and Pads Question/ Advice Needed

lawrencee11

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
So Ive got a question regarding my brake system. I noticed a problem with my brakes a while ago and for whatever stupid reason I just ignored it. I believe I need a new rotor now and pad on the passenger side rear wheel. Ive attached pictures that will show everything I can see (Pictures are in the second link). I can feel a pretty decent drop from the rusted part to the worn part but I cant feel that on the other brakes. I have several questions as a result.

First, does anyone know what could have caused this one pad to wear so differently than the others? I would like to figure out the problem before I start replacing things. Second, is a new rotor necessary for this wheel. Im guessing that it is but I have next to no experience with brakes. Third, if I should replace the rotor on this wheel, should I go ahead and replace all four? Like I said, next to no experience. Fourth, if replacing, what should I look for for troubleshooting future problems?

I have also attached a link from amazon for rotors and pads. They seem good from the reviews but I dont know if I need to spend the money on that.

Link to brakes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN5U1HO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Link to pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/f5lUU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whenever you change brake pads you should have the rotors resurfaced (in parirs) by a shop equipped to "turn" the rotors, but honestly, the price of new rotors have come way down since they crank them out in China for a low cost and many people opt to go with new ones like those you linked. Rotors are resurfaced because you typically, over time, get small groves in the rotors due to hardness differences in your pads. When you change brake pads you should, at a minimum, change both fronts or rears as matched pairs. Better yet, change out all four if you can afford it. It is not necessarily unusual for pads to wear a bit different. I couldn't tell from your photos but I'll assume the differences you see from the inside vs outside are within reason. The left vs right should wear similar within reason. If it is significant then you could either have a bad caliper or perhaps one side has some air bubbles in the line vs none in the other side. The front pads always wear out faster than the rear as more force is exerted on front brakes.

The last two times I did brake jobs on my Explorer I opted to replace all four rotors and of course install new brake pads. Most people ignore the emergency brake pads that reside in the drum portion of the rear rotors. I used R1 Concepts as my supplier for a complete rotor/pad package for all four wheels. Click HERE.

p.s. Those are not dumb questions. We all start with zero knowledge and have to learn from somewhere and asking questions is a very good way to get that knowledge.

Photo033.jpg

I went back and looked at your photos. I now understand the problem. Yes, this is not normal. I would assume that for whatever reason, the passenger rear pad that is not wearing into the rotor the full width like the other one and must be missing part of the pad's surface area. Fortunately, it's the front brakes that bear more of the force when braking although your situation is not good because you are getting uneven braking which could be catastrophic in a situation where you are standing on the brake to avoid an accident. Although your ABS system could be save your ass in a worst case scenario. Does it appear that the brake caliper on each side is mounted over the rotor the same way or is it possible the rear caliper on the passenger side is sitting catawampus because the bolts are coming out?

I was thinking that I would change both rear rotors and pads at a minimum so that I know that they would wear at the same rate.. The calipers both look to be sitting the same way, both brake pads also look to be worn the same amount on the outside. Really besides the rotor being worn the way it is I don't see any problems.

When doing the rear replace the parking brake shoes too.

Parts I'd use:

Front Pads: WAGNER SX833 SevereDuty $27.89 @RockAuto
Rear Pads: WAGNER SX881 SevereDuty $22.79 @RockAuto
Parking Brake Shoes: WAGNER Z791 QuickStop $19.10 @RockAuto

SevereDuty brake pads and shoes from Wagner utilize friction formulations that have been specifically developed to address the needs of commercial and emergency vehicles. The carbon-based, metallic friction formulations are technologically enhanced so they offer superior performance in extreme temperature situations, and feature a reinforced friction bond for exceptional strength. As a result,they:
  • Resist the brake fade that can occur in extended and extreme use
  • Provide exceptional life and wear characteristics
  • Provide the superior stopping performance expected

Front Rotor: WAGNER BD125758E $33.79 @RockAuto
Rear Rotor: WAGNER BD125759E $25.79 @RockAuto

Wagner brake rotors with E-Shield coating feature an exclusive protective coating to all non-brake surfaces to prevent corrosion.

WagnerEFeatures.jpg

Just an additional thought. I bought a used 99 Sport that was making a grinding noise in the back. I could see excessive wear on the rear passenger side rotor. So I ordered pads and rotors for all 4 wheels. When I removed the caliper from the rear passenger side, I pulled on the rotor to take it off and the entire axle started to come out of the differential! Luckily I stopped pulling and pushed it back in. I drained the differential and pulled the cover to find there was no "U washer" on that axle! I couldn't even find it in the bottom of the differential!
So, the reason that rotor and pad was so much worse than the others was because the brake caliper was the only thing keeping the axle from coming out and ruining my day! After replacing all the bearings and that U washer all the brakes are wearing evenly. And it handles much better too! So I think it may be a rare situation, but excessive wear on one rear pad and rotor could indicate something similar. Just sharing

Just an additional thought. I bought a used 99 Sport that was making a grinding noise in the back. I could see excessive wear on the rear passenger side rotor. So I ordered pads and rotors for all 4 wheels. When I removed the caliper from the rear passenger side, I pulled on the rotor to take it off and the entire axle started to come out of the differential! Luckily I stopped pulling and pushed it back in. I drained the differential and pulled the cover to find there was no "U washer" on that axle! I couldn't even find it in the bottom of the differential!
So, the reason that rotor and pad was so much worse than the others was because the brake caliper was the only thing keeping the axle from coming out and ruining my day! After replacing all the bearings and that U washer all the brakes are wearing evenly. And it handles much better too! So I think it may be a rare situation, but excessive wear on one rear pad and rotor could indicate something similar. Just sharing

The 2-door sport has a solid rear axle, the 4-doors have IRS, so apples and oranges here.

So Ive got a question regarding my brake system. I noticed a problem with my brakes a while ago and for whatever stupid reason I just ignored it. I believe I need a new rotor now and pad on the passenger side rear wheel. Ive attached pictures that will show everything I can see (Pictures are in the second link). I can feel a pretty decent drop from the rusted part to the worn part but I cant feel that on the other brakes. I have several questions as a result.

First, does anyone know what could have caused this one pad to wear so differently than the others? I would like to figure out the problem before I start replacing things. Second, is a new rotor necessary for this wheel. Im guessing that it is but I have next to no experience with brakes. Third, if I should replace the rotor on this wheel, should I go ahead and replace all four? Like I said, next to no experience. Fourth, if replacing, what should I look for for troubleshooting future problems?

I have also attached a link from amazon for rotors and pads. They seem good from the reviews but I dont know if I need to spend the money on that.

Link to brakes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN5U1HO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Link to pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/f5lUU
in most cases i have seen if one set of pads have excessive wear to the other on the same axle rear right rear left one caliper is sticking been doing my own brakes for over 30 years rebuild the one thats sticking or get a rebuilt one ...

Back