My sport is in the dealership for warranty work for vacuum leak. Rental? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My sport is in the dealership for warranty work for vacuum leak. Rental?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I purchased a brand new 2016 Sport for exactly 5 months, only driven exactly 6,000 miles and now it is in the dealership for a vacuum leak. The dealership determined the brake booster check valve failed and all the hose clamps that are accessible from the top of the hood are loose. I bought the car and didn't touch anything but checked oil once every 2 weeks so I did not mess with anything. What happened was I heard a "police siren" noise when I would accelerate or let go of the brake, and then a month later non stop hissing and slight lag at acceleration. I determined the hissing came from the brake booster so I brought it in. I asked for a rental or loaner because I was out of a vehicle for about a week but the service adviser told me to call Ford customer care because I do not have extended warranty and the ESP plan does not cover rentals for work not performed under the ESP plan.

I brought the vehicle in on a Friday and I did not call customer care because my boss was nice enough to let me check out a work vehicle for the weekend. But now I need a second vehicle so I plan on calling Monday morning. What are the chances of being approved for a rental? It just saddens me that I quality control did not notice the loose hose clamps, the brake booster check valve failed in 5 months, and I have to go through so many hoops to attempt to get a replacement vehicle. I know other brand dealerships will offer one if the repair takes more than a day but Ford is just special.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford is like most of the other manufacturers in that as stated, they provide them if you have an ESP.

Where you see free rentals are the upscale versions (Audi, not VW. Lexus, not Toyota, Lincoln, not Ford).

If all the hose clamps were loose, your pipes/boots would have blown right off under boost. not possible for them all to be loose and continue to use your vehicle with just a hiss.

Ford is like most of the other manufacturers in that as stated, they provide them if you have an ESP.

Where you see free rentals are the upscale versions (Audi, not VW. Lexus, not Toyota, Lincoln, not Ford).

If all the hose clamps were loose, your pipes/boots would have blown right off under boost. not possible for them all to be loose and continue to use your vehicle with just a hiss.
I have on my lease agreement a rental for any service done to my 2017 Platinum, oil changes or anything i get a rental... I always had this from my dealer since i have been leasing from them since 1998.

This is where a good customer care oriented dealership comes into play.
Of the 5 local Ford dealerships near me, none offer free loaners, in which the only one that does is about 30miles from my home and all you have to do is request/book in advance.
Can't rely too much on the factory and having a dealership that goes the extra mile (pun intended); will make owning a vehicle much easier.

I have on my lease agreement a rental for any service done to my 2017 Platinum, oil changes or anything i get a rental... I always had this from my dealer since i have been leasing from them since 1998.

Yes but that is between you and the dealer on something you worked out with them, not Ford.

Dealership said the air intake hose clamps were loose. The hoses for the turbo are good. I know some dealerships (FORD) offer loaners but I guess they are the ones farther away from the city. The dealership did offer a 20% off if I go to Enterprise and rent a Ford, so I might just do that. Good thing I only need a rental for 3 days instead of 5.

Do you in fact have an ESP from Ford with the rental coverage? If so, a rental should be provided even if the car is in for any type of warranty work other than ESP work. Copied from a different forum where someone else asked about rental coverage . This was posted in 2014 so check your paperwork to make sure it is still in the contract. I haven't heard or read anywhere that it had changed.

6C. RENTAL CAR REIMBURSEMENT: ON NEW AND USED CORE COVERAGES, COMPONENT WRAP COVERAGES, OR SUPER DUTY COVERAGES - You may be eligible for rental car reimbursement if: (i) the servicing or repair facility determines that the service or repair is: (a) covered under this Agreement or a New Vehicle Limited Warranty and any extended powertrain warranty, or (b) the result of a Ford Motor Company manufacturer’s recall, and (ii) You rent the vehicle from a Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership or other commercial agency.

Do you in fact have an ESP from Ford with the rental coverage?

A rental vehicle under the ESP is only provided under warranty coverage. They will not provide a loaner for customer pay items (brakes, oil changes etc). Now if you want an oil change done while you are having warranty work performed, then that is the best time. But again, if it is not warranty, you do not get a rental.

And the OP already answered that in his first post:

I asked for a rental or loaner because I was out of a vehicle for about a week but the service adviser told me to call Ford customer care because I do not have extended warranty and the ESP plan does not cover rentals for work not performed under the ESP plan.

A rental vehicle under the ESP is only provided under warranty coverage. They will not provide a loaner for customer pay items (brakes, oil changes etc). Now if you want an oil change done while you are having warranty work performed, then that is the best time. But again, if it is not warranty, you do not get a rental.

I do...it was part of my lease agreement. I have it in writing. I have always done it. Since 1998. I'm not trying to start a debate, i'm just saying if you negotiate hard you get what you want...

No, he wasn't clear on if he had the ESP the way he wrote the post with

"I asked for a rental or loaner because I was out of a vehicle for about a week but the service adviser told me to call Ford customer care because I do not have extended warranty and the ESP plan does not cover rentals for work not performed under the ESP plan."

I asked the question if he did in fact have an ESP because of the sentence I posted in bold above. Why would he have included what the ESP didn't cover for rental if he didn't in fact have it?

Now the OP has come back and clarified that he DOES have an ESP, so what I posted in reply stands.

No, he wasn't clear on if he had the ESP the way he wrote the post with

"I asked for a rental or loaner because I was out of a vehicle for about a week but the service adviser told me to call Ford customer care because I do not have extended warranty and the ESP plan does not cover rentals for work not performed under the ESP plan."

I asked the question if he did in fact have an ESP because of the sentence I posted in bold above. Why would he have included what the ESP didn't cover for rental if he didn't in fact have it?

Now the OP has come back and clarified that he DOES have an ESP, so what I posted in reply stands.

Umm. the OP never came back and stated he has an ESP. He stated in his first post he does NOT have an ESP which is what I quoted him in my reply to you.

Umm. the OP never came back and stated he has an ESP. He stated in his first post he does NOT have an ESP which is what I quoted him in my reply to you.

Frankly

I called ford and they said I only purchased the ESP maintenance plan so I don't have the rental car option. I guess I either misunderstood when the finance guys that took care of the purchase said ESP warranty.
I do not have ESP premium or rental or etc. Anyways I already got a rental through enterprise through the dealer and got a pretty sweet deal.

Thank You!

I called ford and they said I only purchased the ESP maintenance plan so I don't have the rental car option. I guess I either misunderstood when the finance guys that took care of the purchase said ESP warranty.
I do not have ESP premium or rental or etc. Anyways I already got a rental through enterprise through the dealer and got a pretty sweet deal.

Thank You!

I'd personally cancel the maintenance plan and get your money back and buy an ESP. I can get them for you at $100 over cost. even the maintenance plans..

I do...it was part of my lease agreement. I have it in writing. I have always done it. Since 1998. I'm not trying to start a debate, i'm just saying if you negotiate hard you get what you want...
You're repeating yourself. ;) But as blwnsmoke said, that is only between you and your dealer. Any other dealer would not be bound by that agreement should you have to go to one.

Peter

You're repeating yourself. ;) But as blwnsmoke said, that is only between you and your dealer. Any other dealer would not be bound by that agreement should you have to go to one.

Peter
Peterk9. I agree. Its not to repeat my self, its just trying to say that if you negotiate well you get what you want, that is all i mean. Sometimes you have to teach pepole how to negotiate going forward...That all.:)

I've owned mostly toyotas and this is my first Ford and I couldn't believe when my intake manifold went that the ford dealer by me wouldn't offer me a loaner because it wasn't the dealer I had purchased the car from. Every single Toyota Dealer I'd ever been to gave a courtesy loaner on any work that was over a day, my favorite Toyota dealer prestige has at all times about 20 loaners and it never mattered if you bought the car there or not your just responsible for gassing up the car to the level you took it at.

To repeat some other posters somewhat. When I bought my '16 (no ESP) the salesman told me the service department would provide a loaner if one was available. The one time I was in for warranty work, they did not have a loaner, so they gave me a rental. Dealerships who want to develop repeat customers will do that.

I've owned mostly toyotas and this is my first Ford and I couldn't believe when my intake manifold went that the ford dealer by me wouldn't offer me a loaner because it wasn't the dealer I had purchased the car from. Every single Toyota Dealer I'd ever been to gave a courtesy loaner on any work that was over a day, my favorite Toyota dealer prestige has at all times about 20 loaners and it never mattered if you bought the car there or not your just responsible for gassing up the car to the level you took it at.

Good to know. I just read up on Toyota's rental policy.. wasn't aware they did that as I thought it was a Lexus exclusive. I know when I had my Lexus, I got one immediately regardless of whether it would take overnight or same day.

It has been mentioned several times in this Forum that when dealers provide a loaner/rental, they do so at their expense unless approved by Ford. Your vehicle Warranty Guide clearly states that Ford does not provide these. "Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles,......."

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back