License plate light wire color? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

License plate light wire color?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Does anyone know what the wire color is for the license plate light? I'm trying to tap into it from the wire loom under the rear seats. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

free wiring diagrams here.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Use login chattech and password quarter and go to the auto repair reference center, wiring diagrams.

free wiring diagrams here.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Use login chattech and password quarter and go to the auto repair reference center, wiring diagrams.

Thanks. It looks like it's a brown wire for both sockets. I ended up using a red and black wire instead, it's the wire that powers things like the LEDs in the window switches and the lights in the rear AC controls, when the headlight switch is turned on. It's strange that there was one on either side of the truck, under the carpet. I'm not sure why they run to the back of the vehicle, since there aren't any illuminated buttons or gauges back there. Strange, but they came in handy. Thanks for the link.

Thanks. It looks like it's a brown wire for both sockets. I ended up using a red and black wire instead, it's the wire that powers things like the LEDs in the window switches and the lights in the rear AC controls, when the headlight switch is turned on. It's strange that there was one on either side of the truck, under the carpet. I'm not sure why they run to the back of the vehicle, since there aren't any illuminated buttons or gauges back there. Strange, but they came in handy. Thanks for the link.

You could have just spliced into the same wire that goes to the tail lights, but I guess it doesn't matter. If you had a Sport Trac your tag lights would be on all the time, as for some strange reason the window switches are lit all the time. I've learned that the Sport Trac's a weird animal in that there are so many things that are different from the regular Explorers. It's like Ford had a completely different team design it.

You could have just spliced into the same wire that goes to the tail lights, but I guess it doesn't matter. If you had a Sport Trac your tag lights would be on all the time, as for some strange reason the window switches are lit all the time. I've learned that the Sport Trac's a weird animal in that there are so many things that are different from the regular Explorers. It's like Ford had a completely different team design it.

Yeah Ford's wiring is a mystery sometimes. I found an unused harness on both B pillars, right above the floor, when I had the lower panels off. I'm not sure why they're there as the speakers are inside of the doors, but I connected my speakers to one and it fit just fine. But I couldn't get any power to the unused connectors, maybe they just need a fuse. I wonder what they're for.

Yeah Ford's wiring is a mystery sometimes. I found an unused harness on both B pillars, right above the floor, when I had the lower panels off. I'm not sure why they're there as the speakers are inside of the doors, but I connected my speakers to one and it fit just fine. But I couldn't get any power to the unused connectors, maybe they just need a fuse. I wonder what they're for.

Sun roof maybe?

Sun roof maybe?
Maybe. But it's right above the floor and it has the same connector as the door speakers so I'm not sure. It's connected to a dummy plug and there's one on each side of the truck. I know the Capet looks bad, I'm ripping it out and installing new carpet soon :D

Edit: Looks like they're for the side airbag sensors.

0D3C6D73-D258-4497-901A-BC4FB6B3B5E5.jpg

Back