No 4x4 low after M5OD swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No 4x4 low after M5OD swap

Reaction score
City, State
new albany, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford ranger
I can't seem to find a useful thread on any forum about my issue. some tell a few wires to cross/ground but never show pictures or give an accurate description. A few months ago I did the classic manual swap from the a4ld, everything worked great with the automatic, and the truck runs great with the manual in it now. Except as the title says, no 4x4 low. I have 4 high which works great but my 4 low will not work. can someone point me in the right direction by explaining, posting pictures, or posting a link to a useful thread. TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/a4ld-to-manual-m50d-swap-how-to.293846/

Have you read this thread? The NSS & the BOO switches, have to be activated in order for the 4-low to shift. In other words, you need your foot on the brake, and the vehicle in Neutral. There are work arounds for this.
Yep, that's actually the thread I used to do my swap. But i couldn't find a computer and wiring harness so I just need to find out which wires it is that need to be spliced and grounded

@Burns Can help (if he sees this) with the wiring. He did it on his swap, as he didn't swap the PCM either. I believe he installed a throw switch for the NSS. You just have to re-install the BOO switch to the new brake pedal if you didn't do that. (I'm sure you did tho)

On my swap, I changed the auto harness for the manual harness, and the NSS is on the trans itself near the shifter. You might be able to install a switch going to that on yours, but your still going to need the wire colors. @NICE59FORDF100 might be able to help with that part.

well hopefully one or both of them see this and help me out. What is the BOO switch?

well hopefully one or both of them see this and help me out. What is the BOO switch?
Brake On/Off. Connected to the brake pedal arm. Works your rear brake light circuit, and tied into the 4 low shift motor module.

Yep, it's on there, made sure for my cruise control . And I already have the pink and red/blue(I think that was the colors) connected where they ran to the NSS. But for some reason it must think it's in park? Not neutral.

The NSS switch connects to the clutch pedal. Some auto models have the switch pre-wired, and tucked away near the E-brake pedal coil, behind the kick panel. That switch connects to the manual wire harness, which leads to the sensor on the trans/PCM. That is the wire you need to either loop, connect to the trans sensor, or install a throw switch. Not all models had it installed for some reason. I would look for it none the less. To get an idea what your looking for, do a search for one on a auto store website, like AutoZone. If your lucky, you have one, and your home free. Sorry, it's been years since I did this swap, and I did it in a 2nd gen.

I do have a thread on it. It's called "Going Full Manual" in the trans section here. Might be some help, might not. lol

The NSS switch connects to the clutch pedal. Some auto models have the switch pre-wired, and tucked away near the E-brake pedal coil, behind the kick panel. That switch connects to the manual wire harness, which leads to the sensor on the trans/PCM. That is the wire you need to either loop, connect to the trans sensor, or install a throw switch. Not all models had it installed for some reason. I would look for it none the less. To get an idea what your looking for, do a search for one on a auto store website, like AutoZone. If your lucky, you have one, and your home free. Sorry, it's been years since I did this swap, and I did it in a 2nd gen.

I do have a thread on it. It's called "Going Full Manual" in the trans section here. Might be some help, might not. lol
The NSSik referring to is the one out of the auto. If you Google 1991 ranger NSS you will see what I'm talking about. Only has 5 wires in it. 2 of which are for the reverse sensor, which I already cut and connected to the connector on the manual trans. The other 3 im not sure. But I know with the two I have connected it starts but not 4 low. I will check after work today for a switch behind the kicker panel.

I had the same issue when I did my M5OD swap! I ended up grounding one of the wires in the harness that goes to the clutch pedal. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was red/white. At any rate, it was the only wire in the plug that didn't have a corresponding wire on the pedal side of the plug. Do you have the harness for the clutch pedal, or was that only included in the explorers?

I had the same issue when I did my M5OD swap! I ended up grounding one of the wires in the harness that goes to the clutch pedal. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was red/white. At any rate, it was the only wire in the plug that didn't have a corresponding wire on the pedal side of the plug. Do you have the harness for the clutch pedal, or was that only included in the explorers?
I'm going to look when I get off work and see, so you grounded it near the clutch pedal? I seen somewhere that you could ground the red/white wire at the 4x4 computer behind the driver side jump seat but I tried that with no luck.

Yes, by the clutch pedal. The issue was that there was a wire on there that was only on one side of the connector. Just be careful, as you'll be able to shift to 4 low on the fly! Make sure you're stopped completely before you push the button. Good luck!

Thanks! Hopefully my wiring has it there! And I'm going to run it to a toggle switch so someone won't do it on accident if they drive it.

So I found the connector you speak of. I actually plugged it in to the clutch sensor and the truck wouldn't start without the clutch depressed. So that's a good thing I guess? But still no 4 low. I don't have a red/white wire. And my sensor has all 6 of the pins, but my connector only has 5. 3,empty,2. I have a picture but can't figure out how to add it to the post

The (I think) red/white wire on the harness that does NOT have a mate on the clutch side is the one I'm referring to. I simply spliced that wire to ground, and it worked! Good luck with it!

Well if only there was a red/white wire lol. Of course mine has to be different

I can't remember exactly, but I'll try to look and post a pic when I finally make it home this evening!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back