• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension help

liljoey112

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hello, I Just bought a 1997 Ford Explorer V6 4WD and I noticed after the I bought the truck that the whole rear suspension (Shocks) were completely destroyed. I failed to notice this during inspection of the car because it was parked very close to a wall so i was unable to see the area. Now I do know a bit a about cars but I no professional, It seems as if this whole section of the car just rotted out which is surprising because the rest of the car seemed OK. So now my question what do i need to buy in order to fix this Im not sure it seems like there is some sort of cross member that bolts onto the frame that connects the two rear shocks . Can you please help me out and try to point me in the right direction here is what it looks like.
20161221_225942_zps1xms5ar4.jpg
20161221_225346_zps26now9cw.jpg
20161221_230031_zpsvxfe1cai.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I Just bought a 1997 Ford Explorer V6 4WD and I noticed after the I bought the truck that the whole rear suspension (Shocks) were completely destroyed. I failed to notice this during inspection of the car because it was parked very close to a wall so i was unable to see the area. Now I do know a bit a about cars but I no professional, It seems as if this whole section of the car just rotted out which is surprising because the rest of the car seemed OK. So now my question what do i need to buy in order to fix this Im not sure it seems like there is some sort of cross member that bolts onto the frame that connects the two rear shocks . Can you please help me out and try to point me in the right direction here is what it looks like.
20161221_225942_zps1xms5ar4.jpg
20161221_225346_zps26now9cw.jpg
20161221_230031_zpsvxfe1cai.jpg

Hi there , you can try a junk yard , cut it and welded , good luck :)

It also looks like your evap hoses are tied up to the frame with wire. That truck was parked with it's ass up against a wall for a reason. You're facing a pretty big repair there using salvage yard parts.

What's that ziptie holding in the third image? Is that another issue?

BTW , you are also missing the spare tire and probably the hoist to hold the tire too .

The spare tire is in the truck. The Zip tie is holding the brake line? And the its missing the whole evap canister correct? Also Is the truck safe? I know that the leafs are the main suspension back there are the shocks just like a comfort item or?

With the amount of rust under that truck, I would say it is not safe. I'd be concerned about the rear spring shackles breaking/collapsing and the zip-tie holding the brake line is definitely not safe. I'd be surprised if the CEL isn't on because of the missing evap canister. Not having shocks effects more than just ride comfort. If the OP has state required inspections that truck will never pass. I'd look into taking that seller to court to get your money back. The seller knew damn well the condition of that frame.

^ Agree. Condition of the rear undercarriage may just be the beginning of a money pit. Wouldn't surprise me if the seller disconnected
or removed the check engine light bulb. IMO, sounds like a very sketchy deal. Was this heap purchased from a private party or used
car dealer? Good luck whatever you do, hopefully you can take legal action before you find more "surprises".

The condition looks like we saw often in Chicago, where the politicians bragged about how many thousand tons of salt they had spread on the streets, to make them "safe".

IMO, vehicle definitely not safe, maybe far from it. Looks as though the member supporting the top of the shock absorber is broken away. The remaining angled bracket will be bending up and down, possibly until it hits the body underside. If a dealer sold this, he ought to be jailed! imp

How are the leaf spring shackles?
I hate to say it, it looks ready for the recycler :(.
Maybe find a good welder in your area.
Wonder what else is ready to leak or break off.

Your photos are worth their weight, anybody notice that orange strap/cord is new? That's worth it's weight, take the seller to court, you stand a chance. As for your Ex, all I can say is, V8 parts cars are worth more than V6, and I'd bet I can guess which you've got, I wouldn't drive that, that brake line is rotten, just romp the brakes and you're either in the back of somebody, or you yank the wheel, and in that rust bucket, you wouldn't stand a chance, the frame gives the body strength. I've also noticed the bushings for that sway bar look like they were squeaking recently, that looks like silicone on the drivers side one, notice the shiny bar directly beside it, also worth mentioning that shock has about pulled the strap through the body seemingly, plus the springs don't look right somehow. Basically, in a big old nutshell, your car is junk, and you have good legal grounds against the seller.

*Edit* Google search says the OP lives in an inspection state

Well I must say the frame it self isn't that bad just the rear of the truck looks bad. Most of it is surface rust the camera on the lg V10 takes such good pictures it makes it look alot worse. But it is rusty. The rear cross member that holds the rear shocks is destroyed cracked in half. I bought the car from a private seller for $500 CEL is on for an evap code but I will be replacing that part. As for the rear shocks im going to try to go to pick and pull and grab a new rear cross member for the shocks if its an easy grab but im not sure how it is mounted to the truck.

I know that the leafs are the main suspension back there are the shocks just like a comfort item or?

Without shocks, the body would bounce up and down like in this video. Unsure if the tire would bounce up and down like that car though since that car has coil springs in the rear. I could see basic driving around town at slow speed being tolerable. On the highway, it would be like driving a bad handling boat. Totally unsafe.

Anywhere I know of, if you buy a vehicle that you can't register (dealer or private sale) the court will force the seller to refund your money.

The spare tire is in the truck. The Zip tie is holding the brake line? And the its missing the whole evap canister correct? Also Is the truck safe? I know that the leafs are the main suspension back there are the shocks just like a comfort item or?
I would say rear shocks are a critical safety item on our trucks. Hit a good bump at highway speed and I assure you the rear would bounce to the side causing the truck to lose control. Even with shocks a live axle is prone to that. Shocks keep the tire firmly planted on the pavement.
Without shocks you have basically the suspension of a horse drawn Conestoga wagon.

I suggest monroe cargo coilovers - they have excellent reviews, I have them and are very satisfied. If not a premium quality Monotube or maybe sensatrac. A energy suspension poly rear sway bar link kit is a great upgrade too. The rubber in those pics looks very warn out, and it really helps with handling.

Have a look at the front torsion bars. If you see any rust or missing paint, replace them, they do break. If you are unsure about anything with the suspension have a competent mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb. You do not want any suspension issues with these trucks. It also may be prudent to replace the front sway bar links as preventative maintenance as they do break.

I scraped all the rust and painted everything under there with a rust converter and few coats of rustoleum. Also gets a coat of gear oil or fluid film before winter. Not looking for beauty but you don't want anything structural rusting away.

As for the rear shocks im going to try to go to pick and pull and grab a new rear cross member for the shocks if its an easy grab but im not sure how it is mounted to the truck.

Hopefully it is not riveted on like mine is. That is not an easy repair. I agree with what the others said about going back on the seller, if you wanted to. That is pretty poor to sell a truck to someone like that. Good luck

On the bright side, could be an opportunity for a custom rear suspension. :)

I have two words for you OP: 4 Link.
Make the best of a bad situation. :chug:

Back