2015 Explorer Sport - Shudders when coming to a stop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport - Shudders when coming to a stop.

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2015 Explorer Sport... It has about 16K miles on it... I usually use 91-93 octane... Recently it has started to shudder when I come to a stop... Even more so after putting it in park... It's almost like it's going to die out... Shudders for a second, then starts idling normally.

I tried to search and search this forum, but all I could find was shudder upon starting it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By shudder, do you mean the engine bogs down for a second and then recovers?

My 14 Sport does that on occasion. It’s never actually shut off, just seems to bog down for a second or 2 and then runs normally. When it happens, it’s when I come to a complete stop, but I don’t recall if it matters if the transmission is in drive or park(or other). I haven’t found the need(desire) to bring it in to have it checked out. I mostly notice it when I pull into a parking spot at work or into my garage.

I've experienced that shudder when coming to a stop on the odd occasion, as if the ABS is lightly kicking in.

By shudder, do you mean the engine bogs down for a second and then recovers?

My 14 Sport does that on occasion. It’s never actually shut off, just seems to bog down for a second or 2 and then runs normally. When it happens, it’s when I come to a complete stop, but I don’t recall if it matters if the transmission is in drive or park(or other). I haven’t found the need(desire) to bring it in to have it checked out. I mostly notice it when I pull into a parking spot at work or into my garage.

Yup, same thing as you describe... Doesn't shut off, but sounds like it is going to putter out... The whole vehicle will shake like it is going to die, then idles fine again. It's annoying and too expensive of a vehicle to be doing that. It's almost like the fuel is being shut off.

I've experienced that shudder when coming to a stop on the odd occasion, as if the ABS is lightly kicking in.

Weird, I haven't had any lights come on... Just shakes the whole truck like it is going to die.

Weird, I haven't had any lights come on... Just shakes the whole truck like it is going to die.
"As if ABS is lightly kicking in"...for a lack of better words, that's what I feel.
No ABS light on the dash.

I have experienced this lately in my 2014 Sport with 65k on it. I only use top tier fuel like Shell, BP, etc. and 93, only. Also, synthetic oil changes every 5k. I'm hoping it's not the start of the carbon build up issue...

Someone with more tech knowledge- could this be a vacuum issue?

Also- to clarify- is the shudder an engine/powertrain shudder or brakes/entire vehicle shudder which you feel in the steering wheel? I'm wondering about warped brake rotor(s).

Someone with more tech knowledge- could this be a vacuum issue?

Also- to clarify- is the shudder an engine/powertrain shudder or brakes/entire vehicle shudder which you feel in the steering wheel? I'm wondering about warped brake rotor(s).
Don't think warped rotors would cause a shudder when in 'Park'.:)

Get it to Ford Immediately. We just put a new transmission and torque converter in our at 80,000 miles after a catastropic torque converter failure. Repairs showed that there was several internal parts wore well out of spec and the result was the transmission did not let go of the wheels when we tried to stop. Being an experienced driver, I was on the brakes when it failed but have to wonder if it could drag someone into an intersection.

Hopefully you are still in the 5/60,000.

In our case even though there was issues while in warranty, Santa had to pay for the new transmission and torque converter on an Explorer that is still safely rolling on the Michelin tires installed at the factory

Get it to Ford Immediately. We just put a new transmission and torque converter in our at 80,000 miles after a catastropic torque converter failure. Repairs showed that there was several internal parts wore well out of spec and the result was the transmission did not let go of the wheels when we tried to stop. Being an experienced driver, I was on the brakes when it failed but have to wonder if it could drag someone into an intersection.

Hopefully you are still in the 5/60,000.

In our case even though there was issues while in warranty, Santa had to pay for the new transmission and torque converter on an Explorer that is still safely rolling on the Michelin tires installed at the factory

Over 80k on original tires and still going strong.. lol, ok...

Back