Solved - Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
You will have to remove VB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No just unbolts, nothing going to fly out. Just make note of different length bolts and there location. Hate to say but getting the broken piece out is not really going to solve anything because the bore is worn enough to break the pin and will ultimately do the same to the new servo. Plus the bore wil be scored and possibly not let the servo release properly and let the band drag and burn which it may be already. Good luck and keep us informed on how things work out.

No just unbolts, nothing going to fly out. Just make note of different length bolts and there location. Hate to say but getting the broken piece out is not really going to solve anything because the bore is worn enough to break the pin and will ultimately do the same to the new servo. Plus the bore wil be scored and possibly not let the servo release properly and let the band drag and burn which it may be already. Good luck and keep us informed on how things work out.
The piston that is broken is one I just installed, it's brand new, just realized i had to remove it immediately after putting it in. The originals came right out and there was no damage prior.

Ok. My fault as I jumped in without reading the original post. So just curious on how it broke as they are pretty stout. I can't imagine it breaking without some kind of force exerted on it from an odd angle.

Ok. My fault as I jumped in without reading the original post. So just curious on how it broke as they are pretty stout. I can't imagine it breaking without some kind of force exerted on it from an odd angle.
No worries. I'm not sure exactly why it broke, I thought it was pretty straight most of the time, this one was way easier to get in and out (until it broke) than the other.

Are these the servos with the o rings installed on the pin?

Are these the servos with the o rings installed on the pin?
I tried to install these, but put the extra o-rings on each end before and after the sleeve. But then realized they were spares, so I have to pull the pistons back out to take them off. Now I'm getting to the longer part of the story. There goes $210. I'm about to hit the order button for this guys and swap over all components and use factory pistons. Just do not want to half of my life savings doing it, I love my explorer and will do anything for it, but still working with a budget. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291705870463?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Wow that case is expensive. You can get the case rebushed. Local shop should have the tools available to perform this job. You have to empty the case. I charge 100 to rebush both bores on carry in units. To bad you are so far away I could fix you up.

Wow that case is expensive. You can get the case rebushed. Local shop should have the tools available to perform this job. You have to empty the case. I charge 100 to rebush both bores on carry in units. To bad you are so far away I could fix you up.
Thanks for saving me days of waiting and hundreds of dollars. Going to drop by local highly reputable trans shop tomorrow.

Thanks for saving me days of waiting and hundreds of dollars. Going to drop by local highly reputable trans shop tomorrow.
Ok, so the real story is that you boo-boo'd doing a servo-bore piston swap, broke one of the pistons somehow, and then decided you were in over your head and are now willing to shell out $2500 for a rebuild.

And $2500 might be on the low side. If you swap in a rebuilt, it would run you ~$1800.

And $2500 might be on the low side. If you swap in a rebuilt, it would run you ~$1800.
The boo boo part is correct. Trying to avoid $1800- $2500 by doing most myself. Happy with what I've learned from my boo boo, so far cheaper and better than paying for schooling. Love and miss my explorer why it sits apart, but luckily I have other cars. I think it's fascinating learning about all this and my girlfriend is equally interested, we're both having fun with this project along with a Audi S4 engine rebuild project among other things.

The boo boo part is correct. Trying to avoid $1800- $2500 by doing most myself. Happy with what I've learned from my boo boo, so far cheaper and better than paying for schooling. Love and miss my explorer why it sits apart, but luckily I have other cars. I think it's fascinating learning about all this and my girlfriend is equally interested, we're both having fun with this project along with a Audi S4 engine rebuild project among other things.
Well report back with the cost when you get a quote from the tranny shop.

Everyone learns by their mistakes, that's how we learn. But, and I mean this in a good way, I think you are way over your head. Your cheapest way out is to have it done by a reputable shop. If you keep tinkering with it, it's only going to cost you more. I've been there.

Tom

Are you planning on installing the regular servos or the aftermarket version with o-rings?
Not sure, when you are referring to ones with o- rings do you mean the ones with the sleeves?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back