Solved - Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shtiv-

Does Andy Wanie have any suggestions? ( Have you asked his advice?)

Shtiv-

Does Andy Wanie have any suggestions? ( Have you asked his advice?)
Have not heard the name before. Today with the valve body removed and a higher strength magnet the lil ******* came out by working it in and out with the magnet before it finally came loose/out, but not before finally cutting the o-ring and pulling away from the piston and out of the bore. Any suggestions for cleaning that bore????

Have not heard the name before. Today with the valve body removed and a higher strength magnet the lil ******* came out by working it in and out with the magnet before it finally came loose/out, but not before finally cutting the o-ring and pulling away from the piston and out of the bore. Any suggestions for cleaning that bore????

pencil and 400 grit emery

andy is who makes the modified pistons, presumably who you bought them from.

Yes, polish the bores as best you can with fine sandpaper, then you can spray with brake cleaner/compressed air. good luck.

A fine wire brush should work. I've used them on valve body bores. Harbor Freight sells them for $6 a set. Another thing to use is something called the Bench Buddy number BB100. It's a lot more money, and specifically designed for this purpose.

A fine wire brush should work. I've used them on valve body bores. Harbor Freight sells them for $6 a set. Another thing to use is something called the Bench Buddy number BB100. It's a lot more money, and specifically designed for this purpose.
Cool, thank you! So after numerous attempts to get piston out and getting transmission apart, and receiving new parts that came broken, I finally have a running Explorer. I honestly did not know what to expect due to putting in all the parts that I took out. But its running after a nightmare of an experience, and its running better. Just want to say it was getting the servo pistons in was the biggest pain in my rump, but if you use a pry bar (12 and 18" in my case) and put a small block of wood directly in the center of the head of the servo piston, it should pop right in. Anyways, thanks to everyone for the help, and onto the next issue with my Explorer.

That's great news! Did you use a fine wire brush in the servo bore? Did you use servo pistons with O rings or regular servo pistons?
Just used 400 grit special sandpaper, and used the pistons that I removed originally. Honestly not sure if they were from the factory or replacements.

Thanks for the update and good job! Glad it all worked out

So if the original pistons were reinstalled, why were they removed in the first place?
Well... that is a fair question. I spent $210 on the fancy pistons with the sleeve and got them installed. However, they came with some o-rings and I followed the instructions for installing them, but it did not feel right. So, I emailed the company that I purchased the pistons from and asked if in fact they were suppose to be installed initially, they responded with they are there for future use in case they go bad under the sleeves. But by the time I heard back I had been impatient and had installed them already. So they told me to remove the pistons and take off the o-rings, while removing them I broke the head of the piston off in the bore. So that one was no good anymore, and the sleeve on the other piston adjusted and was pushed back, so I decided not to use that one, and unfortunately I do not want to spend another $210 and wait for new pistons to come. BTW the company that I purchased them from was very good with communication and very helpful with my questions.

If I understand you correctly, you still have one of the oringed servos installed. Hopefully it is the one for the overdrive unit, as that is the one that gets the most exercise and is more failure prone.

If I understand you correctly, you still have one of the oringed servos installed. Hopefully it is the one for the overdrive unit, as that is the one that gets the most exercise and is more failure prone.
I put both of the pistons I removed back in, no new pistons.

Holy ****. I have this exact issue right now. Changing the servo bores and the bottom of IM pin broke off in the bottom of the bore. I have the valve body removed but can not get that little bugger out. What size magnet did you use? I have been at this for 3 days now and loosing my mind. I'm excited to find this forum. Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@PappaDoo

"Holy ****." A unique and unusual expletive, first heard by my Dad and I many years ago, when my sister's new husband, a Sailor just out of the Navy, born and raised in Pennsylvania, said that when his hammer, dinging a dent in the door of his just-bought old Buick, went clean through the rusted metal!

My Dad called it a "Hill-Billy" phrase. No offense! imp

Back