Member Interested in Mods / Ideas | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Member Interested in Mods / Ideas

Just bought a tuxedo black 2014 base

I'm excited, it should be here in about a week or so. I'm stationed in germany and it's being shipped over from the states.

Anyways i'm wondering what mods can be done/do you guys recommend to the base since this is my first suv?

wheels? lowering springs? tinted tail lights/head lights, hids?

edit: what can i do about the tan interior? is there a tutorial for using fabric paint on it? is that recommended?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm excited, it should be here in about a week or so. I'm stationed in germany and it's being shipped over from the states.

Anyways i'm wondering what mods can be done/do you guys recommend to the base since this is my first suv?

wheels? lowering springs? tinted tail lights/head lights, hids?

edit: what can i do about the tan interior? is there a tutorial for using fabric paint on it? is that recommended?
Welcome to the Forum MyFirstSUV.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your thread to the 'Modified' forum and merged it with this thread about what mods can be done;
Have fun.

Peter

I have been considering building a 2017 Limited, but got an awesome deal on a 2016 Sport yesterday. So far, love the SUV. I am not new to Ford, but this is my first SUV. I am already noticing a few things I might want to look out for, but I have a few questions. I spent some time looking around last night and already found some good insight.

2016 Sport, Black on Black, 401A, All Weather Mats, 2nd Row Bucket, LED Fog Lamps, Twin Moonroof, and Adaptive Cruise Control / Collision Warning.

Accessories I am already considering include: Rear Cargo Mat (from Ford), Painted (black) Emblems, LED's (Interior, license plate, and puddle), Oil Separator, Hood Deflector, and Windshield Shade.

So, now for a few questions.

1.) Are there any easy / quick modifications to improve the vehicle?
2.) Are there any accessories that I missed, which I should consider?
3.) Is anyone running a hood deflector? If so, which brand?
4.) Any recommendations for a windshield shade?

I have already started researching LED's, that is one of the first things I want to get done so most of the lights "match" in color. I am not opening to ECU tuning at this time (warranty), but maybe in the future. I am open to an intake, but I haven't seen much research on benefit.

Any other insight is appreciated, I will keep looking around the forum today. Thanks!

shb5007, your thread has been merged with this one. There are many threads on modifications that the members have done. I suggest that you use the Forum's very handy 'Search' function (top right corner) to search the 'Modified' sub forum. There are threads on pasti dipping, LED conversions (interior and exterior), black emblems, catch cans, etc. As for a cold air intake (CAI) there are threads on that as well and the benefit is negligible according to most posts. Good luck.
I also suggest adding your 2016 Sport to a signature if you still have the Cobra, so that it always shows when you post.

Peter

I like my livernoismotorsports.com 3 bar 93 tune. Shifts are a bit hard for me though.
I swear the stock 2016 tune was better at slow speeds then the Stock tune Livernois provides with the tuner.
They dont copy the stock tune from the SUV upon 1st upload...but then again i never use the stock tune anyway. I recommend them.

I will be taking delivery of a 2017 Explorer XLT, I opted not to get the sport appearance package as it wasn't the exact shade of black (was sort of a darker grey). I plan on buying the sport kick plates, the explorer hood badging and the sport grille and rear trunk trim. Anyone know how to get these parts? Or is going through the dealer the best way?

I will be taking delivery of a 2017 Explorer XLT, I opted not to get the sport appearance package as it wasn't the exact shade of black (was sort of a darker grey). I plan on buying the sport kick plates, the explorer hood badging and the sport grille and rear trunk trim. Anyone know how to get these parts? Or is going through the dealer the best way?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There is a forum vendor that you can contact about the parts you are looking for although I'm not sure about shipping to Canada. Try contacting Benny at Levittown Ford Super Center; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter
You can always try your dealer as well.

What is the (MXV) in the profile block? It would be more helpful for the members in addressing future concerns if you added XLT as the trim.

Peter

Welcome to the community!

Your best bet for those parts is most likely going to be your local Ford store.

If there is anything from a technical and/or performance part standpoint that we can assist you with please do let us know! Enjoy your new baby :chug:

There is a forum vendor that you can contact about the parts you are looking for although I'm not sure about shipping to Canada. Try contacting Benny at Levittown Ford Super Center; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter
You can always try your dealer as well.

What is the (MXV) in the profile block? It would be more helpful for the members in addressing future concerns if you added XLT as the trim.

Peter
I'll fix that right now, is there a way to enter a profile photo by the way.? I can't seem to find it.

I'll fix that right now, is there a way to enter a profile photo by the way.? I can't seem to find it.
Thanks for updating. In order to post a profile picture (avatar) you have to have an Elite Membership ($20) which also helps to support the site.

Peter

Yo bburzycki,
I am seriously considering purchasing a 2017 Sport. Not sure if you have purchased an X-Sport yet but i would be willing to sell it. Hit me up on PM. I have added the basic performance mods and absolutely love it. LMS is the way to go to satisfy you need for speed and more power. My co-worker has the same truck as me and couldn't believe how much better my truck drove compared to his stock truck. A week later he ordered the same mods and is in the process of building a clone! Main reason I want a 2017. Mine has 25K is pampered and garage kept.

DSC_6865.JPG

Hello,

Need a lil help. Recently purchased my first Ford & lookin for some help with mod parts. First, a CAI. I am familiar with several brands. Any suggestions ? I like Air Raid. Next, a tuner. I used to have a Dodge Charger & a Diablo Sport Predator was very popular. What's a good one for a 2015 Explorer Sport ? Any & all help is appreciated

Hello, @MrWickd, there's quite a few threads about CAI in the forums. Here's one link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/tuning-options-for-2016-sport.437308/ - you might find some cool information there. I personally have a K&N CAI in my 2016 EXP Platinum. I should have read the forums first but I'm satisfied with the performance. Also, @peterk9 is a big help around here, too. I'm sure he can lead you to a few threads and/or opinions about CAI. The one that everyone seems to like is Livernois CAI and tune kits.

Anyways, welcome and good luck!

Hello,

Need a lil help. Recently purchased my first Ford & lookin for some help with mod parts. First, a CAI. I am familiar with several brands. Any suggestions ? I like Air Raid. Next, a tuner. I used to have a Dodge Charger & a Diablo Sport Predator was very popular. What's a good one for a 2015 Explorer Sport ? Any & all help is appreciated
I have merged your thread with this one on a similar topic. The posts on a CAI are mixed with a few members going back to stock. There seems to be a consensus that a CAI combined with a 'tune' makes a difference. Livernois seems to be the popular supplier of choice. The best advice I can give is to familiarize yourself with the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) as there are several threads on both mentioned topics.

Peter

Quick question,
Looking to get an air intake for my 14 X Sport. Which offers the best performance and gains?
K&N 69-3531TS
Airaid 402-260

Thanks

Quick question,
Looking to get an air intake for my 14 X Sport. Which offers the best performance and gains?
K&N 69-3531TS
Airaid 402-260

Thanks
There are several threads on cold air intakes (CAI). These can easily be found in the "Modified" sub forum using the Forum's 'Search' feature at the upper right. There are mixed reviews on these and some have eventually gone back to stock. As for gains, it seems there are no mileage gains and in some have noticed decreased mpg. There does seem to be a slight gain in engine noise and little to no HP gains. Best option seems to be a CAI plus a 'tune'. Here is just one such thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-cold-air-intake-system-is-better.446547/

Peter

There are several threads on cold air intakes (CAI). These can easily be found in the "Modified" sub forum using the Forum's 'Search' feature at the upper right. There are mixed reviews on these and some have eventually gone back to stock. As for gains, it seems there are no mileage gains and in some have noticed decreased mpg. There does seem to be a slight gain in engine noise and little to no HP gains. Best option seems to be a CAI plus a 'tune'. Here is just one such thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-cold-air-intake-system-is-better.446547/

Peter

Thanks

Hello guys/gals, glad to be part of this forum. I have a 2017 Explorer XLT with the 200A package.

Do any of you guys have or know of any good exhaust mods for this 3.5L V6 non eco boost engine??

When I floor it it sounds nice but would love a deeper sound!

Any suggestions on this or other mods to do? I’m all ears (eyes)!

Hello guys/gals, glad to be part of this forum. I have a 2017 Explorer XLT with the 200A package.

Do any of you guys have or know of any good exhaust mods for this 3.5L V6 non eco boost engine??

When I floor it it sounds nice but would love a deeper sound!

Any suggestions on this or other mods to do? I’m all ears (eyes)!
Your thread was merged with this one. Check out post #24. Becoming familiar with the 'Search' feature can go a long way in finding existing threads/post. The mod question has been asked many times here. Most exhaust threads have to do with the 'Sport' model with the Ecoboost engine. Here is one on Magnaflow; Magnaflow exhaust

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personal Vehicle is on order - 2014 Sport - I will update that when i get it as I am interested in performance updates and black ford emblems.

On the flip side I deal daily with the Law Enforcement version of the Explorer - Interceptor Utility daily with my work being professional upfitters for these vehicles and developers of many of the systems.

So I see much of benefit and some of the downfalls of the chassis..

But I am going to buy one so that says something..

Seems Attachments are not allowed but if they were I would post a photo...
Do you know if the gauge cluster from the ‘14 PIU will fit in a civilian model?

Back