• Total voters

Chase L Germaine

Reaction score
City, State
Groveland, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer, XLT
Hello there,
I recently bought a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT. I want to know if I can disable auto4wd? And if I can install manual hubs? If not are the hubs vaccuum?

Also, will a Ford Ranger moon visor fit the Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can disable the auto4wd. Look into the "brown wire mod" or install a manual shifting transfer case.

You cannot install manual hubs. The front has CV axles- so no disengaging the front axles at all. The 4wd action is all handled by the transfercase.

How do you install a manual transfer case? I prefer pulling my truck into 4wd, I don't like electric knobs.

I have a little question of my own, how does the Auto 4WD work? is it kind of like AWD, kicking in when needed, or does it turn 4WD high on when it feels you slipping?

The 4WD engages based upon the rear wheel slip, the AWD is active all the time, and has a clutch inside the case. I have both, I'd much rather have the 4WD system.

I have a little question of my own, how does the Auto 4WD work? is it kind of like AWD, kicking in when needed, or does it turn 4WD high on when it feels you slipping?
@Prince_Polaris
4X4 AUTO uses an electronic clutch, as Ford calls it, engages it when wheel speed discrepancies are detected, disengages again when wheels speeds match. Under certain conditions, like mud puddles separated by dry ground, it can set up a scary series of clunks.

AWD uses a Viscous Clutch, like a baby torque converter, which sends power to the front wheels all the time. It has it's good and bad points. Me, I drive a '90 F-150 with a big manual 4X4 lever.......aside from my damned 4X4 Auto 2004 Explorer.......imp

v6;
95-96 has true 2wd, there is a vacuum center axle disconnect on the front axle. There is 2wd, auto, and 4lo
97 deletes the 2wd above, has auto, 4hi, and 4lo.
These are control trac systems that work as imp described above.

v8;
Always on, non electronic AWD.

The 2wd system in the 96 uses vacuum controls and solenoids to disconnect the front axle. That lived on in the F series for many years.

v6;
95-96 has true 2wd, there is a vacuum center axle disconnect on the front axle. There is 2wd, auto, and 4lo

v8;

The 2wd system in the 96 uses vacuum controls and solenoids to disconnect the front axle. That lived on in the F series for many years.
@96eb96
Hold a minute. My '96 had 2WD, 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 Low, I believe, not 4X4 AUTO. imp

The 4WD engages based upon the rear wheel slip, the AWD is active all the time, and has a clutch inside the case. I have both, I'd much rather have the 4WD system.

Yeah, sounds like 4WD is less complicated.

@Prince_Polaris
4X4 AUTO uses an electronic clutch, as Ford calls it, engages it when wheel speed discrepancies are detected, disengages again when wheels speeds match. Under certain conditions, like mud puddles separated by dry ground, it can set up a scary series of clunks.

AWD uses a Viscous Clutch, like a baby torque converter, which sends power to the front wheels all the time. It has it's good and bad points. Me, I drive a '90 F-150 with a big manual 4X4 lever.......aside from my damned 4X4 Auto 2004 Explorer.......imp

So this makes sense, instead of AWD where all four wheels are moving, and a computer detects which one needs how much traction, the Auto 4WD detects whether it's slipping or not, and if it finds out it is, it throws 4wd on!

I'll have to remember about the clunking, if that ever happens to me and I can blame the auto 4WD, then I might not have to worry.

I do have another question though, what is the time frame for turning off the Auto 4WD? For example, if I slip on some ice going up a hill and it turns on the auto 4wd, does it keep going until either traction is back, or does it work for like, 10 seconds or for 10 yards and then shut back off?

v6;

v8;

I dunno if I have any sort of traction control, where would the switch be if I did?

@Prince_Polaris
So this makes sense, instead of AWD where all four wheels are moving, and a computer detects which one needs how much traction, the Auto 4WD detects whether it's slipping or not, and if it finds out it is, it throws 4wd on!
Not quite. AWD uses no computer interaction regarding power transmission.
I'll have to remember about the clunking, if that ever happens to me and I can blame the auto 4WD, then I might not have to worry.

I do have another question though, what is the time frame for turning off the Auto 4WD? For example, if I slip on some ice going up a hill and it turns on the auto 4wd, does it keep going until either traction is back, or does it work for like, 10 seconds or for 10 yards and then shut back off?
Worthwhile question! The system seems to respond much quicker than say 10 seconds on, then shut-off, because of the possibility of appearance of pavement with good traction at any time. Mine has switched on and off under highly varyiong traction conditions about every several seconds. I hated that!

I dunno if I have any sort of traction control, where would the switch be if I did?
Sorry, not familiar enough to answer. Someone else will, I hope! imp

My '96 had 2WD, 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 Low...

That's what my 96 has @imp. Having the option for 2WD was one reason my parents bought the Explorer back in 1996 that I have now.

That's what my 96 has @imp. Having the option for 2WD was one reason my parents bought the Explorer back in 1996 that I have now.

The "brown wire mod" eliminates the AUTO 4WD engagement (which most people dislike). If you want it to be select-able, you can install a toggle switch on the brown wire. Personally, I don't like AUTO anything, but maybe that's just me.

You might consider a re-title for this topic so it is more appropriate and people can find it easier.

The system is more advanced than only turning on and off. It's always *on* in Auto 4WD, just not fully (electrically) engaged. It uses a wet clutch that always applies a small amount of torque to the front wheels, The electromagnetic clutch progressively engages based on sensing rear vs front drive shaft RPM slip in a matter of milliseconds, further engaging the clutch to deliver more torque to the front very quickly in 10% increasing increments until no slip is detected.

So, no it doesn't just engage for a set # of seconds, is always coupled a little and engages more, delivers more power to the front for only as long as there is a front to rear RPM mismatch and so long as there is, it stays more fully engaged.

The "brown wire mod" eliminates the AUTO 4WD engagement (which most people dislike). If you want it to be select-able, you can install a toggle switch on the brown wire. Personally, I don't like AUTO anything, but maybe that's just me.

Is there an actual reason (like, maybe it breaks a lot) people don't like the AUTO 4WD or does it just come down to Wanting to be in control of the system as much as possible? If so, I'm fine with it, I like the idea that if I start to slip, the truck will catch it before I can.

You might consider a re-title for this topic so it is more appropriate and people can find it easier.

The system is more advanced than only turning on and off. It's always *on* in Auto 4WD, just not fully (electrically) engaged. It uses a wet clutch that always applies a small amount of torque to the front wheels, The electromagnetic clutch progressively engages based on sensing rear vs front drive shaft RPM slip in a matter of milliseconds, further engaging the clutch to deliver more torque to the front very quickly in 10% increasing increments until no slip is detected.

So, no it doesn't just engage for a set # of seconds, is always coupled a little and engages more, delivers more power to the front for only as long as there is a front to rear RPM mismatch and so long as there is, it stays more fully engaged.

Okay, this makes perfect sense! That's just what I wanted to know basically, with one added question, is Auto 4WD a background thing or when it's being used, is the 4WD high light gonna maybe come on?

No, it's just that it's annoying and can be a bit shocking when it kicks in unexpectedly.

No, it's just that it's annoying and can be a bit shocking when it kicks in unexpectedly.

Well I can vouch for that, there was a few times this winter where when I was trying to get into our driveway, it would start to slip and then NYOOM I'm suddenly zipping forwards up into it!

Back